Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: August 06, 2011 12:49AM

Speaking personally, I get flashbacks which get in the way of what I think could otherwise be a good eating moment. :)

Utah, well, just kinda leaves a bad taste in my mouth, despite Bill Cosby's best efforts:

http://emailwire.com/release/Bill-Cosby-Campaigns-to-Get-JellO-Gelatin-Proclaimed-Utahs-Official-State-Snack.html

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2011 02:15AM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: introvertedme ( )
Date: August 06, 2011 12:56AM

Love jello. :) And casseroles. Which is probably why I have way too many pounds on me. I will resign from the "church" as soon as I can, but I'll still always make those mormon-mom casseroles. :)

Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: August 06, 2011 01:32AM

I don't exactly crave it, but I enjoy it when my MIL makes it.

Speaking of MIL-- she used to apologize if she served a dinner that didn't involve a "salad" (which apparently meant jello?). Like she really felt like she had not lived up to her motherly duties if there wasn't a jello-something on the table during dinner. I'm not from the Mountain West and my family did not do jello at all, and I had only ever had it as a dessert, so that was one cultural oddity that struck me as I was getting to know my in-laws.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 06, 2011 01:34AM

and a dolop of Vanilla Ice Cream... Melted in the bowl on top of the pudding!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2011 01:34AM by guynoirprivateeye.

Posted by: Mrs. Solar Flare ( )
Date: August 06, 2011 05:24AM

Try warm COOKED butterscotch pudding with chocolate chips dropped in. Closest thing to heaven I think.

Posted by: missguided ( )
Date: August 06, 2011 01:35AM

Oooooooh I love love LOVE Jello! Its UTs staple dessert here :) get it at school almost everyday if were lucky mmmmmmmmmmmmmm sweet jiggly goodness <3

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: August 06, 2011 02:03AM

My mom was an excellent cook. She rarely made it, but when she did it was good. I am mostly vegan, so I do not eat gelatin. Also, I like REAL food.

I worked at the MTC very briefly, and witnessed the pinnacle of LD$ jello cuisine when GA's would visit.

I think Jello Biafra is more interesting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2011 02:22AM by atheist&happy:-).

Posted by: nickerickson ( )
Date: August 06, 2011 06:55AM

No jello for me. Part growing up Mo and all those potluck jello masterpieces and part wife. Mostly wife. She always jokes that if the world ends she's taking us all out with cyanide jello. So our running joke is that if she makes jello, don't eat it. She doesn't make it and no one eats it. Even our children are jello free. Funny stuff. But, I still wouldn't eat it even if that wasn't our running joke.

Posted by: jacintexas ( )
Date: August 06, 2011 12:06PM

Too funny....instead of the prophet handing out kool-aid wishing for all to receive....it's lime green jell-o with cyanide. No problem getting all to partake, it's deeply ingrained in the heritage.

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: August 06, 2011 08:15AM

Cant stand it or any similer textures. To the point where I had to move over to tooth powder to avoid toothpaste.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: August 06, 2011 10:51AM

Yes, I like jello salad with the whipped cream, coconut, pineapple, walnuts and marshmallows. Like casseroles too and still love the funeral potatoes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2011 10:51AM by suckafoo.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 06, 2011 10:59AM

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: August 06, 2011 11:30AM

I have to be honest...the dance festibles were fun....The rest of the cult was a nightmare.

Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: August 06, 2011 12:11PM

My TBM dad loved it, so it was a treat when mom made it. Now, my husband hates it and so do my chitlins. We all love pudding though and I try to make it homemade, it's soooo much yummier.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 06, 2011 01:24PM

DW #1 made Excellent mousse. I licked it.

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: August 06, 2011 12:26PM

I'll eat it if it's served to me, but I don't go out of my way to get some. But I'll only eat it as dessert. None of it on my dinner plate please.

Posted by: outofutah ( )
Date: August 06, 2011 12:30PM

he had Jello with meat in it. We're not talking 'head cheese' or some such delicacy as we have here in the East; we're talking Jello with meat.

out

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: August 06, 2011 12:41PM

Hate jello, and mostly because of the bad associations.

I'll still have jello shots if I'm feeling nostalgic, and I don't mind that raspberry jello concoction with the whipped cream and nuts on top; probably because the raspberries change the texture, but I would never make it.

I sometimes make fun of my mom's old jello concoctions; I mean, for as much effort as she put into them, she could have made GOOD food.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: August 06, 2011 12:57PM

I like it, but just plain or with one fruit and not all kinds of weird stuff mixed in.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: August 06, 2011 01:05PM

It's pretty gross, though, if you think about what it is.

Posted by: tmtinfw ( )
Date: August 06, 2011 01:18PM

Strawberry Jello with slices of banana embedded. Maybe a dollop of Cool Whip....mmmmmm....

Posted by: searching27 ( )
Date: August 06, 2011 02:02PM

of Jiggly Jell-O in my life. Just the look of it and the jiggling makes me uneasy.... so I have stayed away for almost 30 years now.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: August 06, 2011 02:05PM

"It was jelly! With vegetables in it!" she told me, later.

She thought it tasted horrible.

It was served with an otherwise decent casserole.

I think she still shudders at the thought!

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: August 06, 2011 02:17PM

Kool-aid and Jell-O are two things that I had lots of as a kid but as I grew older and my tastes changed Kool-aid, Jell-O, Pixie Sticks and a list of other sugary stuff with fake fruit flavoring just stopped tasting good to me.

If I want something fruity, I'll go with some fresh fruit.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: August 06, 2011 03:54PM

I did like jello with fresh fruit mixed in as a dessert, but I never had any cravings for the stuff. The salads I prefer are made with pasta, potatoes, or mixed greens. The things that turned me off from jello is having my wisdom teeth removed and using it for my high school biology class when it was used to make a model of the structures of a cell.

Posted by: abby ( )
Date: August 06, 2011 04:29PM

Plain jello is fine, anything else with chunks gives me a gag reflex.

Posted by: i was a bad sunbeam ( )
Date: August 06, 2011 04:33PM

I hate eating it. The green kind leaves a lovely stain on pages of the Book of Mormon.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: August 06, 2011 04:43PM

to avoid the very appearance of evil.

I associate "Jell-o" with mormons.

Ergo.

Having said that, I did enjoy Jell-o shots (no lima beans, just vodka). Absolute Heathen?

I have a very ill friend who can't eat anything but Jell-o, so in the last few weeks I have made more Jell-o than I ever have in my life. I actually had to study the box!

Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: August 06, 2011 04:53PM

You lucky people from the west, we don't have jello salads here or any jello appearances in our ward socials. One time, however there was this woman from Utah who had recently married our bishop's son and came for a visit. she brought the most delicious salad with bits of jello and maybe mashmellows in it, I thought it was great but never got the recipe. =(

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: August 06, 2011 05:08PM

Fruit fine but I never want to see it again with meat and veggies! When it is hot we like that.... sparklers? way to do it with the club soda. And the kids love finger jell-o or when you do it in some of their cute molds like the Easter eggs http://store.ya-ecom.com/kraftcornerstore/_e/dept/01-001/Molds_Cutters_for_all_Occasions.htm.

Now they have a whole section with booze in it. I want to try these -
Cosmo bites http://www.kraftbrands.com/jello/explore/lounge/

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: August 06, 2011 08:49PM

I love blue raspberry jello, but I have an obsession with anything blue raspberry already. Otherwise, it's Jello shots.

Posted by: cl2 (not logged in) ( )
Date: August 06, 2011 09:49PM

Like the one someone mentioned with cottage cheese, whipped cream, pineapple, and jello. My mother made some really good jello salads and one was a Christmas jello salad and I still make it every TG and Chritmas. I also used to make a raspberry J salad that had cream cheese. I'd love to have that one again--but then I'd just eat it all so I won't be making it.

I HATE plain jello. But--no, I don't like jello with vegies or meat.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: August 06, 2011 10:44PM

"I'm stuck with LDS Jell-O,
No booze, no coffee, no tea.

"They all me mellow Jell-O (quite rightly),
They call me mellw Jell-O (quite righty) . . ."

Yummmm!:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_xWNZGBEo0hs/TKOIn3n9U4I/AAAAAAAABRI/xZtivNl1ahQ/s1600/Jello+casserole.jpg

Sing along with your mouth full!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCCjv2OiTxE

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2011 10:52PM by steve benson.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.