Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 08, 2011 03:57PM

The premier episode was "Did God Create the Universe?" featuring Stephen Hawking. Whereas most American TV would skirt around the issue (indeed there are many shows promoting conventional religious beliefs), this one pulled no punches in explaining why a deity is not only unnecessary but also impossible. The show managed to make some deep astrophysics rather easy to understand -- even though it's hard to grasp such concepts as there being a time when there was no time, or everything that exists fitting into a microscopic dot. Sometimes the explanations seemed as far fetched as religion.

I checked the schedule to see if it would be replaying soon. I didn't see anything. But short clips of the show are at discovery.com.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 08, 2011 06:38PM

The point was that it was very unusual for a US TV show (even though it seems to have been produced in the UK) to present a no-gods theory of the origins of everything without at least watering it down to deflect outrage from the eager to be outraged folks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2011 06:39PM by Stray Mutt.

Posted by: MadameRadness ( )
Date: August 08, 2011 05:37PM

I watched this show the other day actually. I like the way he condensed the Big Bang Theory down so that it was much easier to understand. The way it was presented was excellent, and probably much more palatable for someone who isn't well versed in physics or other sciences. I have always had an aptitude for science and math, but I struggled mightily with some of Hawking's writings.

I think those who believe in creationism aught to give that episode a chance. He didn't say anything nasty or hateful about those who practice religion. He just explained in the simplest of terms why he couldn't believe in a creator. He made it very clear that this was just the only concept he felt confident in due to what he understood about the universe.

I never felt at any point like the episode was an "attack" on what I believe in, but more an explanation of what Hawking knew to be true about the universe. I hope folks give it a chance, it was very enjoyable.

Posted by: nebularry ( )
Date: August 08, 2011 06:29PM

The program was quite informative given the one hour format. I didn't watch the panel discussion afterwards. If it repeats or if it is downloadable at Discovery.com, check it out. You may not agree with the conclusions but you will be fascinated with the theory.

As for me, it was confirmation of what I already have come to believe.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.