Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: August 08, 2011 06:28PM

OMG!!!

I asked my hubby to pick up a crock-pot cookbook while he was out and about yesterday. So, what does he grab? The above!!! He's a nevermo and we live in Colorado. So... I think... OK... take a look at the recipes before you totally freak out. This woman has a real aversion to any spice that is not salt, pepper or garlic, and treats bullion and ketchup as if they need to be in everything. Needless to say, I took the book back. But, never having lived in Utah, is this "normal" cooking there? (Oh, and there were quotes from the profits, D&C, BoM sprinkled in among the recipes.)

My review of it on amazon:
If you think that ketchup is a spice, this book is for you.
If you think that using chili-powder in something makes a recipe "exotic", this book is for you.
If you think that kids grow up better if they've never tasted tarragon, this book is for you.
If you don't mind a bunch of Mormon propaganda quotes thrown in for good measure, this book is for you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 08, 2011 06:43PM

Posted by: laluna ( )
Date: August 08, 2011 07:35PM

I bet most of the recipes called for a can of soup as well. Probably cream of mushroom but possibly cream of celery

Posted by: escapee ( )
Date: August 09, 2011 12:46AM

laluna Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I bet most of the recipes called for a can of soup
> as well. Probably cream of mushroom but possibly
> cream of celery

My nevermo folks are slow cooker fans. 4 years ago, when I was recovering from a serious illness, my 79 year old father had flown out to Oregon to help me. While I was in the hospital, Pop used the crock pot frequently. It was handy, because he could slap something in there, come visit me, and have a meal ready when he came home.
He continued to slow cook after I was released to home and repeatedly used cream of chicken or potato soup--I won't eat celery or shrooms. I finally banned him from using the condensed soup. He complied.
Only recently have I been able to tolerate condensed soup again. And it does not go in the crock pot!
Poor Pop--he really tries.

Susan

Posted by: laluna ( )
Date: August 09, 2011 05:03PM

haha. the only reason I know about the frequency of condensed soup in mormon cooking is because my in-laws gave me a family cookbook they all pitched in to create. I am sorry to report that condensed soup finds its way into ALL kinds of recipes! My husband is a chef and makes the best stroganoff. The family cookbook recipe for stroganoff calls for cream of mushroom soup (and no wine) blech!

Posted by: Tauna ( )
Date: August 08, 2011 08:48PM

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: August 08, 2011 09:24PM

I agree, I love your review as well! I have the Mormon Pantry Family Dinner Cookbook. My TBM mom bought it for me. I generally use Rachael Ray or Giada de Laurentiis. I love Italian!

Posted by: elee ( )
Date: August 08, 2011 09:34PM

Oh dear. The poor crockpot. It has been so maligned by recipes like these. I have the same problem when I look for dutch oven cookbooks. I picked up a locally written one (I am in Utah) and not only is their method poor, they inevitably use the cheapest items for the recipe.

I understand the need for quick/easy/cheap recipes, but that isn't always the way I want to use my crockpot or dutch oven.

Personally, I think there's a cookbook niche here. But first, I'd need to buy a new crockpot that actually has real temperature control. I just switched over to using enamel coated cast iron pots and my oven and bought this book on braising:

http://www.amazon.com/Braise-Journey-Through-International-Cuisine/dp/0060561718/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312853550&sr=8-1

Braising, obviously, isn't good when you're in a hurry, but I have adapted some of the concepts to crockpot use. I just do the prep work the night before I want to cook it, plug it in in the a.m., and eat when I get home.

If you find any good books, let me know. :)

Posted by: glass-3/4 full ( )
Date: August 09, 2011 02:56PM

"The Gourmet Slow Cooker" (volume 1 and 2) by Lynn Alley. Great recipes and use of quality ingredients!

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: August 08, 2011 10:37PM

If you want some really slow-cooker recipes this is the magazine issue for you:

http://www.cuisineathomestore.com/books/slowcooker.php

Though the Cheese burger soup is a guilty pleasure of mine and you do have to add ketchup, mustard and relish to make it taste like a cheese burger, most of the recipes have a much more adult taste.

Some favorites:

Italian Pot Roast
Lacquered short ribs with spicy ginger sauce
bahn mi sandwich (shown in vid)
Puerto rican chicken stew
Chicken tagine
chorizo chili

This isn't in the slow cooker issue, but it is from the same people and is a great slow cooker recipe that nobody will guess came from a show cooker:

http://www.cuisinerecipes.com/2009/10/29/green-curry-chicken/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2011 10:43PM by MJ.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: August 08, 2011 11:35PM

There is a crockpot recipe exchange of FB. It isn't well organized and a lot of the recipes are repeated, but there are a few good ones.There are a lot of ones with soup too.

Here is one I like

Taco Filling

Approxiately 1 lb raw chicken, beef or pork
1large can of salsa. I prefer the fresh kind you make yourself or get at the deli, but any kind will do.
1large can of black beans, drained
Approximately 2 cups of fresh or frozen corn
Salt and pepper

Cook on high in crock pot until it starts to simmer. Turn down to medium and cook untl meat is falling apart. Shread the meat and add 1 pkg cream cheese and cook until cheese is melted. This may be used as a taco filling with assorted garnishments or can be used to top rice or pasta. It can also be used as a hot dip. The flavor will depend on the type of salsa you use. The measurements of the ingredients are not absolute and, of course, you can add other things if desired.It ususally takes three or 4 hours depending on the crockpot, but itcan be left to simmer all day if necessary.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2011 11:42PM by bona dea.

Posted by: moonbeam ( )
Date: August 09, 2011 03:21PM

Garlic and chili powder? That IS exotic. I don't think my dad's family owned spices other than salt and pepper. MAYBE occasional "Italian spice blend" for spaghetti night, but even that is pushing it. Meat, potatoes, canned veggies, bread. Add salt and pepper, ketchup or canned soup and it's a meal. I wonder how much if it is generational vs regional (Idaho/Utah)

Posted by: Tabula Rasa ( )
Date: August 09, 2011 03:24PM

Love my crock pot, but love my Creucets even more. :)

Just sayin'...

Ron

Posted by: Skunk Puppet ( )
Date: August 09, 2011 03:41PM

Here are 140 assorted crock pot recipes that I haven't vetted but they *have* to be better than the ones in that cookbook.

http://www.food.com/cookbook/crock-pot-42617

By the way, great Amazon review.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: August 09, 2011 03:49PM

I was sitting on the couch, checking out the recipes, and it was "What IS this book?" THEN I saw a BY quote! It was NOOOOO!!!! Get it off me!!! Get it off me!!! Get it off me!!! Get it off me!!! Get it off me!!! Get it off me!!! Get it off me!!!

LOL!!!

When I took it back, I picked up Fix It and Forget It. (the only other crockpot book they had) The recipes look pretty good, so I'll be working with that one for a while. But, I definitely want to try some "Gourmet Crockpot" stuff.

I'm lucky in a way I guess. I came from a long-time TBM family, but we were in California and my parents actually had really good taste-buds!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.