Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: August 06, 2011 12:28PM

http://my-angle.blogspot.com/

This blog is written by the mom of the LDS girl whose leg was bitten by a shark a couple of weeks ago. That girl is going to have some big time scars. And her story is apparently now becoming a faith promoting tale.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2011 12:35PM by knotheadusc.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Otremer ( )
Date: August 06, 2011 12:35PM

"And the sacred should be shared." I thought the sacred was supposed to be kept secret. Can't we get this straight?

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: August 06, 2011 12:42PM

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: August 06, 2011 12:44PM

I'm confused. Doesn't Satan control the water?

So shouldn't a shark under his control be biting as a representative of Satan, like angels are a representative of god, who controls the air?

I say the bite of Satan's proxy should be secret, not sacred.

Just my own convoluted doctrinal apologetics for My Master...

Anagrammy the Apatheist*

*credit to Richard Packham who started the cult of the Goddess Apathy...

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: August 06, 2011 12:48PM

{shakes head in disbelief}

No, not sacred. Private, family business only, but NOT sacred.

Good grief!

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: August 06, 2011 12:57PM

"I was bitten by a shark, and lived! See my awesome scars?"

So much better than a deuling scar!

Sure, the alternative would have been a drag but she did make it out. So cool.

Date: August 06, 2011 12:58PM

Well... mom says HF is preparing her daughter for something special. But mom and dad were warned that they shouldn't be on the beach in the late afternoon. They went swimming anyway and now their little girl is being prepared for something special. She was very nearly prepared for a shark's dinner.

Hmmm...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2011 01:05PM by knotheadusc.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 06, 2011 01:14PM

Date: August 06, 2011 03:56PM

Posted by: blacksheep ( )
Date: August 06, 2011 05:57PM

That kid is going to have some AWESOME SCARS!!! "what happened to you?" ah... nothing... I just got bit by a SHARK! lol

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: August 06, 2011 06:04PM

Uh, exactly how is getting bitten by a shark sacred? I think I missed something.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: August 06, 2011 06:12PM

Posted by: Cristina ( )
Date: August 08, 2011 10:35PM

Gosh, didn't you read the part where mom realizes God is preparing the child for a special mission? By sending one of his anointed sharks to bite her and making her very introspective about the special mission that is to come in her life.

Date: August 06, 2011 06:13PM

The girl's dad felt the pictures of the wounds were sacred.

Posted by: MsRed ( )
Date: August 08, 2011 03:18PM

Ya gotta love how mormon's can spin anything into "I'm better than you."
Reality check - you took your small children swimming in the ocean at a time when you were warned that sharks were feeding. Now you want to turn it into a "sacred" experience, proving god has a plan for you to share with the world. Good gravy. Get a grip.

I saw the parents and little girl being interviewed on a national news program and they were so flippant about the whole thing, wore it like a badge of courage. They told the interviewer that their daughter would be getting right back into the water as soon as she was healed. Um.....maybe that little girl should have a say in the matter. Secondly, please don't take her out during feeding time to test God for a 2nd miracle. I think your little girl has had enough trauma at your careless, narcissistic hands.
Can't wait for the book deal and tv drama I'm sure these parents will try to milk out of it.

Date: August 08, 2011 09:58PM

She was clearly not happy with the fact that they ignored the posted warnings and was honest about having known in advance that the warnings WERE posted.

Posted by: Srsly? ( )
Date: August 08, 2011 08:03PM

You are calling the parents narcissistic because they were swimming at the beach with plenty of other families out there swimming?

MsRed...how bitter are you?

I am an ex mormon who happens to know these people personally. The fact that they are mormon is quite possibly the only thing wrong with them.

A girl got bit by a shark and the parents say she is getting right back in the water.....what a great way to teach your children to not be afraid....to get back on the horse...etc etc.

I don't see anywhere in the blog post that suggests the family thinks they are better than anyone. They are simply a mormon family that chooses to make this a special experience....big deal.

What a brave little girl and a lucky family.

Date: August 08, 2011 10:23PM

I liked her parents, by the way. I thought they handled it in a healthy way.

But I do wonder if primary has had an impact on that poor little girl that her first thought is to forgive the shark.

Posted by: MsRed ( )
Date: August 09, 2011 06:05AM

To answer your question: clearly, I am very bitter.
I believe they are narcissistic for turning this into a chance to promote their faith, as if the fact she survived proves the Mormon church is true.
I read her blog, and that is what I got out of it. If you have a different interpretation, bully for you.
I don't know them personally, and I'm sure they decent people. They are the one's putting themselves in the spotlight, opening their personal lives up to share their faith and the "sacred" shark bite.

Date: August 08, 2011 10:21PM

I saw them on the Today show. They didn't mention their religion. But the dad (whose a doctor himself) says the daughter looked up at him the day after the incident and said, "I forgive the shark."

They were laughing, not really doing any deep doctrine about it. But I thought it was odd that a child bitten by a shark immediately decides she needs to forgive him. Seems like religious concerns unnecessarily floating around the head of a six year old.

Posted by: athreehourbore ( )
Date: August 08, 2011 11:25PM

Satan DOES control the waters and all the man-eating fish within them (except for when God is controlling them, i.e., The Flood).

He used this power to possess the tabernacle of the shark in a pathetic attempt to thwart the work, much in the same way as he possessed the Guatemalan zoo lion through his power over the waterbowl and had him attack that innocent Missionary.

Little did Lucifer know the mind of God, which forsaw it all (funny how Satan never predicts this) and turned it into a faith-promoting PR Story.

Date: August 09, 2011 02:42AM

Posted by: Emmahalesmith ( )
Date: August 09, 2011 09:24PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.