Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: scandalous ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 09:48PM

First of all I'm new(ish) here. I left "the church"about six years ago. I was 17 and dating a nevermo. It was quite scandalous. I've been lurking around this site for years just never posted but today I have post worthy stuff!

I got a wedding invitation in the mail today from a girl I went to high school with. She and her soon to be husband both recently got off missions. They dated for like two weeks before getting engaged... mormons... whatever. When I pulled out the invitation there was something behind it. I was thinking like a card they put where they are registered at, directions to the reception, etc. but NO it's one of those missionary card things. It has a very mormon looking couple with their polo shirt with to the sleeves all the way to the elbow for the girl and it says "Family happiness can last forever." Then has the "Please accept a free DVD... blah blah blah... Together FOREVER."

*GAG* What the...? WHY would someone do that? It is so tacky!!! And annoying. My husband told me I should send them back an equally tacky card for a wedding present. I'm seriously considering it.

It seriously made me want to vomit.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderborracho ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 10:22PM

Send them an invitation to join us here on RfM. But make sure it is on a Monday for "family night" so the whole family can participate.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 10:28PM

They sent a missionary pitch in their invitation? Gad, they are uber Mormons. They probably have prayer before kissing.

They deserve a very special wedding present from you. Go to some used book place and get a Koran and Bhagavad Gita.

Write on the card, "Please accept some free religious crap. Delusion FOREVER."

Welcome to you and all the other new posters.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 10:37PM

...that dvd is so addicting! I watched it like three times before I realized your wedding was two hours ago.

Posted by: voweaver ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 10:38PM

Nahhhhhhhhhhhhh, I vote to give them a copy of the Kama Sutra!

~VOW

Posted by: T-Rex ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 12:14PM

Posted by: T-Rex ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 12:21PM

A young couple should look forward to starting a life together with a home and adventure and exploration and zest for a beginning with their best friend.

I see some of this with this couple but more a zest for moving to the celestial kingdom together, which is more commitment to the afterlife than their current life. I feel disturbed because this places so much stress on them to "be ye therefore perfect" when a new marriage is anything but perfect. It's exciting but it's also a bit scary and sometimes stressful. To add on this enormous burden by having to read scripture, prayer multiple times a day, procreating, church callings, temple attendance, etc. What a waste of youth and energy.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 10:52PM

*That* is why they did something so tacky.

Mormons are unable to distinguish between investigators, who know almost nothing about the church; from inactives, who have discovered all kinds of evidence which active members themselves know nothing about.

On the bright side, by foolishly lumping these two groups together, such proselytizing Mormons merely further confirm to inactive members that TSCC is an undesirable, insensitive cult out of touch with reality.

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 10:57PM

if they included the insert in all of the invitations or just the heathen's.

Date: August 11, 2011 09:20AM

Pista Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> if they included the insert in all of the
> invitations or just the heathen's.

That's what I was wondering too. Also I'm wondering if I'm the only heathen? I know her cousin is Wiccan. I wonder if she was lucky enough to receive one?

Posted by: Margie ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 10:58PM

That is horrible! I still get bothered by the gift registry cards sent with invitations.

Sounds like a good one for Etiquette Hell http://www.etiquettehell.com/

Posted by: omreven ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 07:59AM

margie Wrote:
> That is horrible! I still get bothered by the gift
> registry cards sent with invitations.
>
> Sounds like a good one for Etiquette Hell
> http://www.etiquettehell.com/

I was thinking the same thing. :)

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 12:53PM

I agree - send it to Etiquette Hell and when it's published, send your friend an anonymous e-mail saying that you saw her wedding invite story on ettiquettehell.com and she should look it up. Send her a link. I'll send it from my business e-mail for you, if you want - she doesn't know me and she'll never be able to trace it back to you. Let me know if they publish it and you want me to inform your friend she's made the "news".

Posted by: wittyname ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 12:09PM

How will you know where they're registered if they don't provide info about where to find their registry? It always annoys me when people don't send info about where they registered, because I never know what to get or what to spend. At least if I go off a registry, I can pick out something I know they want, in a price range I can afford, with the hope that someone else didn't get the same thing without checking it off the list. If they don't send me registry info, I'm lost.

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 12:27AM

Just give them a nice wedding card with the damn free DVD back. That would be nice.

Posted by: topojoejoe ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 02:53AM

ginger Wrote:
> Just give them a nice wedding card with the damn
> free DVD back. That would be nice.

Awesome!

Actually that is the saddest and tackiest thing I have ever heard of. What a way to diminish your wedding day. Of course, it is a day that means practically nothing for them anyhow, as it seems the church teaches followers to take less and less pride on the union of marriage, and concentrate on the 'sacred' (not secret) temple ceremony - which is completely impersonal right down to who attends.

Posted by: nevermokhouria ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 02:24AM

i actually attended a protestant wedding with an altar call. that was... just... wrong.

Posted by: omreven ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 08:01AM

nevermokhouria Wrote:
> i actually attended a protestant wedding with an
> altar call. that was... just... wrong.

What's an alter call?

Date: August 11, 2011 12:10PM

I just looked it up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altar_call

Wow, that IS tacky!!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 01:37PM

I've never seen an altar call, and I've been to plenty of mainstream Protestant churches.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 04:16AM

It's all part of the new slogan "Every Occasion a Missionary Opportunity." Every time you get a haircut, every time you have the butcher slice you up some ham...etc.

No occasion too mundane or normal to spice up with missionary propaganda BECAUSE IT'S WHO YOU ARE. And, sadly, it's all you're for.

You join and pay and get your friends and family to join and pay.
Noni anyone?

Anagrammy

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 07:43AM

I'm assuming you have not been invited to the actual wedding?

So, the invitation is actually:

1. A request for a present
2. A request that you let the missionaries preach to you

And you say she's a friend...?

Date: August 11, 2011 09:36AM

Stumbling Wrote:
> I'm assuming you have not been invited to the
> actual wedding?
>
> So, the invitation is actually:
>
> 1. A request for a present
> 2. A request that you let the missionaries preach
> to you
>
> And you say she's a friend...?

No of course not. I'm invited to the reception, held in the gym of the church.

I come from a teeny tiny town that's almost exclusively mormon so that's about the only kind of "wedding" I've been too. When my husband's friend got married his wife-to-be was pregnant so they obviously were not allowed to be married in the temple. It was a nice wedding and we even had dinner at a nice restaurant after (and they PAID lol). I've been to one *real* wedding, my husbands other friend who was nevermo. There was food and dancing and -gasp- alcohol! It was actually a celebration and people were actually having fun! Imagine that!

We *were* friends in high school until I started dating my nevermo husband... that's another story. I haven't really spoken to her in almost seven years. But the practice in our town is to send everyone you know or ever knew an invitation.../missionary propaganda apparently.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 07:49AM

Yuck! That is definitely very tacky.

Posted by: Tabula Rasa ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 09:17AM

No, the tackiest thing I've ever seen is a brand new Lincoln SUV with black alloy 25" blades and thin tires with a "white wall" teeny tiny stripe. Then, the thing was painted orange on the front fading into lime green on the back and bright yellow running boards. WAY more tacky than what you just described.

Just sayin'...

Ron

Posted by: beulahland ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 09:20AM

Did the Lincoln try to convert you and/or come with religious propaganda? Did it have Utah plates? Was it blasting Pet Shop Boys?

Posted by: Tabula Rasa ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 09:22AM

Texas plates.

Blasting Men 2 Boyz.

No religious connotation whatsoever.

It did have a fart bucket on the tailpipe, however.

Ron

Posted by: blacksheep ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 09:42AM

Every time I get wedding "announcements" (that means you're not invited but more than welcome to send money or a present), I get sick to my stomach. Who the hell cares if you can spend forever with your spouse if you don't even like them and are only marrying them because you are supposed to, they are also in your cult and you're ready to get laid?

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 12:02PM

I get invations and announcements from my TBM neighbors from time to time. Most of them I don't know them,,never met,,and not allowed to see them married in the big house. Always a request for money or a list of things they need. Some I have sent a box of condoms and motion lotion.

Date: August 11, 2011 12:14PM

Totally tacky - and so over-the-top! One can only hope that they'll eventually find their way out of the church and look back on the wedding invite/tract combo with much embarrassment.

Fingers crossed for this to be included in a "Embarrassingly inane things I did while TBM" post, sometime in the future.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 12:16PM

Return the card with the following inscription:

"I was so touched by the offer of the Mormon DVD that I went down to the local Jehovah's Witness Kingdom Hall and signed you up for some of their missionary visits. You are just going to love the discussions - they are Fabulous!"

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 01:12PM

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 12:57PM

I guess these missionaries are Forever Missionaries! :-) Wedding invitation and a Free DVD. LOL

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 01:11PM

Was this it?

http://store.lds.org/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product3_715839595_10557_3074457345616692671_-1__195879

I'm a nevermo with too much time on my hands. ;-)

I found the link to this store in some other thread last week... and probably spent an hour on it... it's a whole other world to me, so it's strangely interesting. I remember seeing the pass-along cards! LOL!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.