Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 03:23PM

A recently retired couple I know have been called there. I haven't found out too much online at lds.org--they tend to lump the Russian missions together.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 06:35PM

Posted by: MadameRadness ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 09:15PM

My former brother-in-law served in Russia recently. I believe he was in the Moscow mission however. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary for their zone, he was treated well and while he did lose a bit of weight while he was there he wasn't like emaciated by any means. I've seen some mishies come back looking just scarily thin. The people they would teach didn't have much of their own, but they were always willing to feed and entertain the mishies. He seemed to get a lot of meals from the branch members and locals.

Their MP seemed like a reasonable human being. My ex BIL always talked in his emails about some pretty fun P-Day activities, their rules didn't seem too strict.

All-in-all I got a very positive impression of it. He was a bit overwhelmed by the language and culture in the beginning, but it didn't take him long to acclimate. His companions always seemed nice too.

Posted by: another guy ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 11:02PM

I don't know about the LDS Inc activities in St.P., but I've been there a few times. It can get VERY cold in the winter - I've been there when it was -25 degrees Celcius. Dress warm. Most of The women wear fur (which would piss off any PETA members who might go there).

Posted by: runbunny ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 11:09PM

try this website instead

http://www.mission.net/

Posted by: transplant in texas ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 01:58AM

my bro went to Rustov on his mission. he won't hardly talk about it so i don't know much. i do know that he was told specifically to purchase cold weather clothes in Russia, they would be warmer & cheaper. he got the info from his mission packet. he did purchase his coat, hat, etc in Russia and he said it worked out great. he's also mentioned rampant drug use secondary to poverty and despair but he barely will mention his mission, won't hardly use his Russian at all...i sometimes wonder what the hell happened out there or if he's secretly a NOM...

anyhow i am just rambling at this point

Posted by: transplant in texas ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 02:07AM

bro didnt get any thinner, he's always been a beanpole. couldnt gain weight if he tried. he & his comps prepared all their meals they werent allowed to eat at member homes after a large number of missionaries had gotten very sick over the years, so they bought & cooked their food. he said the food is very cheap and they ate steak, pork chops, fancy cheeses for very little.

Posted by: MadameRadness ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 02:02PM

Yes. The cold weather is insane. The future mishy will have much better luck getting warm hats and gloves in Russia for a much cheaper price.

My ex BIL brought back some pretty killer souvenirs for the family too. He was able to get a ton of stuff for very little money. I still have two of the pretty scarves he brought back for me. He brought back one of those fur-lined hats for my son too. Lots of neat stuff for practically nothing.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.