Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 03:01PM

and it was from a mormon young man. He moved to Utah to attend BYU and a year or so later I received what a thought was a wedding invitation. It had the picture of the couple and announced that they were getting married in xx temple. I don't remember the details much, but I remember reading the card like three times because I thought it was missing information such as the time and place of reception, and the date was in the near future. I am far away from Utah and I don't think I would have attended but I would have loved to send a gift or money, except I couldn't figure out where the address and there was no RSVP number. After reading all about wedding announcements here I am thinking that perhaps I was not invited to the temple ceremony or reception, and all this time I thought I was!

Ever funnier, he was one of the youth in the ward and from time to time he would send me chain emails and I'd do the same. After the wedding I didn't hear from him again, I think he even changed his email address. Ha ha, maybe as a married man we could not email any other people any more.

He was a great kid, very TBM, but good kid.
D

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 06:40PM

No you were not invited. However, they would have accepted a gift had you sent one (but don't expect a thank you note!)

The one I never get is when a co-worker tacks up the announcement on a work bulletin board. Am I invited? Am I expected to just chip in for a gift? It's never been clear to me. Sometimes I'll give a little towards a group gift, but usually not (unless I actually have met the bride or groom).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2011 06:41PM by caedmon.

Posted by: rmw ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 09:07PM

There was a beautiful photo...and an announcement - not an invitation. It said that they would be married in August. It didn't even say the day. I have no idea if they are married yet or not. I guess by September 1st I can assume that they are married. No invite to the temple, no invite to the reception, but yes a card saying where they are registered. My personal opinion is it's a little rude to expect gifts from people who aren't even invited to the reception and don't even have the privilege of knowing what day you are getting hitched.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 09:12PM

I suspect they didn't include the date for the same reason we were advised not to put an announcement of my DDs upcoming nuptuals in the paper: people in the ward will see it, assume they are invited and just show up. But obviously they would still like a gift.

Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 11:23PM

Hmmm, I think the invitation didn't have the exact date either, maybe only the month.

And to think I felt guilty for not sending a gift, I could have asked around to find more information but with only a few weeks notice and a busy mormon life, I didn't. I can let go of the guilt now and laugh. Can you imagine if I had made arrangements to fly to SLC. =)

I don't get the contribution to a gift for a wedding we're not invited to. I think signing a card would be enough, or just saying contratulations. I don't mind the announcements but here where I live everything is gifts, gifts and gifts. Not that I'm cheap, but they do add up. Anyway, end of rant.

D

Posted by: Leah ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 12:21AM

LOL I once had to explain that drill to a nevermo couple here.

They never joined but some mish who'd stopped by a few times was getting married and sent them an announcement.

They thought they were invited to the wedding in Utah as honored guests. LOL.

Imagine their surprise when they learned that they could not attend the temple with the couple, the reception was in a basketball court, and the announcement actually meant SEND A GIFT.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.