Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lost ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 02:31PM

My family & I (wife, kids & myself) have been out of the church (resigned, name removal) for over a decade. The rest of our extended family is Uber TBM. We recieved a wedding reception invitation to my DW's nephew's wedding reception via voicemail from a cousin a couple days ago. It was some kind of nervy and reached a new mo low.

Here is that "invitation" verbatim.

"Hi, x family, its your 2nd cousin, x. Sorry I haven't seen you in a long time, but I've been real busy doing the lord's work. I hope your ok.

X & X are getting married next week at the x temple! You of course, can't go to the temple (pronounced Teeeeemple) cause you, well, don't have teeemple recommends, cause you're not living the gospel, but you can wait outside the Teeemple until the wedding itself is over.

The wedding reception is next Saturday at 6PM at the x ward building, so if you come to the Teeeemple at 4PM, we'll all walk to the reception which is a few blocks away afterwards.

Please wear church clothes because after the reception we're going to all walk around the neighborhood and hand out Book of Mormons! It'll be so speshul and god will bless us.

Hugs and XXX! See ya next week!

OMG! No wedding reception announcement in the mail. A Voicemail! Not even from the couple or an immediate family member, but a cousin we haven't spoken to in 15 years! One weeks notice. We live about 800 miles away. I don't even know where the couple is going to be living to send a present!

Unreal. But it gets better.

I thought my nephew was still on his mission, but apparently he returned 3 weeks ago and met this *amazing* girl last week and so of course they met the bishop this past Sunday and are getting married next week. *gag* (My wife had to call her sister to get this information) She was told that they didn't want us standing in the reception line with the family because this is a *missionary reception* and since we aren't members it wouldn't send the right message to investigator guests they've invited to the reception. WTF???

So my DW sent a message right back to her sister. We won't be coming. Hugs and Kisses. Won't see ya next week!

Tackiest Wedding Reception Invitation ever???

It's so ridiculous, I'm not even angry--just Jaw-droppingly AMAZED.

How was I ever a member of this cult???

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: topojoejoe ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 02:47PM

Is this a new fad in the US? This is the second post of similar nature, although this is by far the lowest and saddest, and specially rude, invitation (or lack thereof).

Another poster said she got an invitation in the mail and it had a little card for you to call to receive a 'families can be forever' dvd.

What is happening in that church? Are they giving so little value to the binding commitment of marriage, that they are bypassing it all together? This is becoming like the deaths and funerals at church. Don't cry or be sad, they have gone to Heavenly Father, and wouldn't it be nice if we could use this funeral as a way to preach to the slackers that no longer attend church, or get new converts? Yes, that is a great idea! Who needs to mention anyting nice about this deceased person anyway? Or acknowledge their families?

I have another idea, why don't we use every marriage now to call unto repentance those sinners and slackers who are offended, and then go spread the gospel? It is not like our temple ceremony is any good anyways, so we might as well go all the way and have an abortion of a marriage. Why not?

Courtesy tip # 1: properly invite people you would like to attend - it let's them know you love them and that they are important to you.

I was even amazed that you were wondering about an address to send the gift? When Courtesy tip # 1 is not used, screw the gift.

I would have replied, over the phone, hopefully by voice mail (to the cousin) that you cannot attend as you will be busy drinking at the bar that day. Being that you are heathens and all. So sorry.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 02:57PM

His name is still in the ward roster, because he is still a member - though he hasn't set foot in church for years now. And of course, since I resigned, my name isn't there.

So every once in a while, he will get one of those mass invitations (sent to everyone listed in the ward roster) to somebody-or-other's wedding reception. Even though those people know us and know we are still married, my name is seldom included on the invitations.

At first, I was shocked. Now I think it just shows how tactless they are.

Posted by: outofutah ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 10:43PM

FAMILY addressed to DH alone.

Yikes.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 03:11PM

Am I understanding it right that the couple getting married next week just met last week?!!!

=:-0

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 03:18PM

really and every one involved is OK with this??? well they got a 50% chance of divorce! but marrying at that age and that quick....
odds are 99.1% chance of divorce...course after a bunch o kids first! OY VAY!

Posted by: neffie ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 03:42PM

A "peculiar people" indeed!

This is what super special, reverent, inspired, and sacred eternal marriage are made of! (Dontcha know?!)

And finally, it'd be nice if they just quit the charade (above) and called this what it really is: "Sam and Susie have made an appointment to have an old geezer give them permission to have sex. As Mormon's we call that marriage and we spend the rest of "eternity" cleaning up the mess!"

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 03:46PM

The Morg has already co-opted funerals as missionary ops, now they're doing it to weddings too. How sad for everybody.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 04:00PM

I just had a flash of these kinds of people trying to make it outside of Utah in a corporate environment. They would never survive in the real world! Gods! And, they propagate!!! AND VOTE!!! Those two things are the really scary part.

Posted by: almostgone ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 04:29PM

I actually got an invitation that was inkjet printed on thick card with post due. From a totally "rich" family.

Goes to show you it's all for show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2011 04:49PM by almostgone.

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 04:32PM

I don't want to offend, but I can't make my mind believe this actually happened...

Date: August 11, 2011 05:04PM

I'm with you jon1. My mind doesn't want to believe it either.

I've reached the point in my exmo experience that when the phone rings and its a Utahikolobian twang leaving a message, that it means nothing good for my family.

I heard my wife's end of the conversation between her sister and her and she repeated out loud what her sister told her so I could follow along. The nephew got off his mission on July 27 and he met this girl at church on July 31st, his first Sunday back. After 3, yes 3 days and 3 awesome dates, the couple decided to get married and talked a bishop on August 7th. The couple *knew* that they were supposed to be together. They prayed and felt the spirit sooo strongly. They are getting married on August 20. There wasn't time to send out invitations...but this was sooo inspired, bla bla bla.

*Lost does a facepalm*

Posted by: scandalous ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 05:55PM

Lol! Apparently mormon weddings are now just an extension of their missions. -Sheesh-

For a minute I thought we might be talking about the same couple but the one that sent me the mo propaganda are getting married in September. Same three dates and engaged craziness though.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 06:07PM

I do not even know what to say. That IS jaw dropping!! They are truly nuts. Anyone who would do that is just ignorant.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 06:31PM

"missionary reception" says it all.

"...after the reception we're going to all walk around the neighborhood and hand out Book of Mormons!..."

Just when I think mormon culture could sink no lower.

Don't go. Don't send a present. Don't even bother with a card.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2011 06:35PM by caedmon.

Posted by: blacksheep ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 08:14PM

Do these people live in Utah? If so, do they know that handing out BOMs in Utah is pointless? It's all a show.

Posted by: Skunk Puppet ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 08:05PM

guests are served peanuts and water.

If your 2nd cuzzin is really classy, it will be bottled water (not imported, though) and dry roasted peanuts.

Posted by: nevermokhouria ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 08:11PM

geez... i thought being invited to a wedding with an altar call was bad enough!

going around the neighborhood after the reception and handing out books of mormon? yeah... i think i'd be skipping that too!

Posted by: MsRed ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 08:15PM

I wonder how they'll turn the almost guaranteed divorce into a missionary experience.

Date: August 11, 2011 09:12PM

MsRed Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wonder how they'll turn the almost guaranteed
> divorce into a missionary experience.

Rename it plural marriage.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 09:21PM

If you should decide to go, be sure to point out to the "investigator guests" that despite being the aunt and uncle of the groom, you were excluded from the temple wedding and the reception line simply because you have different religious views.

Because mormonism is all about families, doncha know!

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 10:52PM

And the "missionary reception" sounds ridiculous. As if Mormon wedding receptions weren't ridiculous enough!

Posted by: AtheistMarine ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 12:28AM

Oh my god. That whole thing was amazingly barf-tastic. I really can't believe this isn't a joke. WHAT. THE. FUCK.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 12:35AM

Is this Stormy? Just kidding.

Date: August 12, 2011 12:46AM

Whos Stormy? Somebody enlighten me

Date: August 12, 2011 12:47AM

AtheistMarine Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Whos Stormy? Somebody enlighten me

A lady who made up a crazy and detailed story a while ago. This one is so off the wall that it kind of reminded me of her. I'm not saying it didn't happen, but it is nutty.

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 12:51AM

Nah, he didn't go on about how Catholic wedding invitations are soooo waaaay better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2011 12:57AM by Pista.

Date: August 12, 2011 12:53AM

Yeah and the OP can write real sentences. Stormy would be right about Catholic wedding invitations if the Catholic actually sent something instead of calling at the last minute. Even a text or email would be an improvement over that.LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2011 01:00AM by bona dea.

Date: August 12, 2011 12:55AM

Please say yes.

Date: August 12, 2011 12:58AM

Yes, she got found out and is gone along with the SIL and Jake.

Date: August 12, 2011 12:59AM

Date: August 12, 2011 12:53AM

Ahhhhh

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 12:40AM

I like the part where she told you how to dress. Since when did dressing appropriately for a wedding reception become mysterious and confusing? I guess since door-to-door sales replaced the chicken dance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2011 12:41AM by Pista.

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 12:46AM

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this takes the fucking cake! Excuse the language but wow!

Posted by: transplant in texas ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 02:26AM

even the most rabid TBM pal i have would be going, "umm, WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING MARRYING SOMEONE YOU JUST MET LIKE THAT??" she means it too, she is the child of parents that are each twice-divorced.

it blows my mind that the fam is alright with this... and yeah i would buy an el cheapo wedding gift attend the missionary reception and make sure to say hello to any victims, uh, i mean "investigators" and mention that you are the family that's not wanted because you are of a different religion.

wtf...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.