Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Texas girl ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 12:16AM

Not sure if anyone has posted on this yet...sorry if it's a repeat. This trial has been all over the news in Austin...with Ty Detmer testifying earlier this week: http://www.statesman.com/news/local/austin-man-with-mormon-heisman-ties-faces-fraud-1709494.html?cxtype=rss_ece_frontpage

"Much of the money Barton raised for Triton's investments was collected from fellow members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, or Mormons, whom Barton had met through his participation in the church. Detmer knew Barton through their shared membership in local Mormon congregations, as did former Houston Astro Jeff Kent, who said he considered investing with Barton but eventually backed out. At one point, local Mormon leaders had even designated Barton an expert whom congregants could turn to with their financial questions."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: D. Lamb ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 02:59AM

It amazes me the amount of mormons who start these scams and probably think gawd is blessing them to bless the church.

These types of stories are never ending.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 08:22AM

Another one for the list. I guess I have to be glad that my parents live in the armpit of California where there are no mormon slimeballs who pretend to live the good life because my dad would invest everything he hasn't already given to the cult with anyone who appeared to be a good upsatanding mormon.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 08:58AM

"Triton had generated $1.7 million in cash. But the report also showed that Barton's investors, creditors and lenders were owed $66.75 million".
All I can say is; Caveat Emptor! It's like cleaning a loaded Gun.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 09:44AM

My opinion is that you need to always join the comments whenever there is an article in any newspaper about the Mormons.

Posted by: m ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 10:04AM

sad ...

Much of the money Barton raised for Triton's investments was collected from fellow members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, or Mormons, whom Barton had met through his participation in the church. Detmer knew Barton through their shared membership in local Mormon congregations, as did former Houston Astro Jeff Kent, who said he considered investing with Barton but eventually backed out.

At one point, local Mormon leaders had even designated Barton an expert whom congregants could turn to with their financial questions.

Posted by: Michaelm ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 10:18AM

"At one point, local Mormon leaders had even designated Barton an expert whom congregants could turn to with their financial questions."

Words of Apostle Boyd K. Packer: "Inherent in the ordination to be bishop is both the right and the obligation to be directed by inspiration. The bishop has the power to discern by the Spirit what he is to do."

http://lds.org/ensign/1999/05/the-bishop-and-his-counselors?lang=eng&noLang=true&path=/ensign/1999/05/the-bishop-and-his-counselors

Local leaders were advising members to get financial advice from that "expert"? Just goes to show where trusting the spirit will get you.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.