Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GayLayAle ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 06:25PM

There's little else in this world that bothers me more than when I pay someone a compliment (straight guys, mostly) and they automatically go on the defense and assume I'm trying to make a pass at them. Really? Get the fuck over yourself. Just because you happen to have a penis doesn't mean I automatically want to fuck you.

I think I'm just going to start being a mean insulting bitch to everyone.

Blurgh.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 06:29PM

I won't read anything into it, and I'm pretty damned straight.

Date: August 11, 2011 06:30PM

Thing is, this incident I'm bitching about wasn't even me flirting, like AT ALL. I just paid the guy a compliment. That's it. It was as innocuous as if I had told him I liked his shirt and he made it a point to tell me he wasn't into guys.

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 06:43PM

When women I'm not interested in compliment my clothes I don't make the assumption they want me to bone them. Kinda makes you wonder if this guy might not have some latent desires, doesn't it? Otherwise, why would it be forefront in his thoughts?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2011 06:44PM by helamonster.

Posted by: nomilk ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 12:46PM

"he made it a point to tell me he wasn't into guys"

THe automatic thougth to that statement usually is - Get over yourself.

The traditional response is , Good! more for me!

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 06:44PM

Whoa that is mighty presumptuous of that guy! How lame.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 07:27PM

S**t! Really? Oh. How embarrassing!

GLAJ, perhaps he secretly lusts after you?

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 07:30PM

Tell him that is okay because you find him completely sexually unappealing anyway. You just like his shirt.

Posted by: missguided ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 10:34PM

Posted by: AnonB ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 10:30PM

Posted by: Inverso ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 10:41PM

You know that some of those innocent compliments of yours have gone to guys who really needed them!

Date: August 12, 2011 10:58AM

I consider myself a pretty nice guy. Call me crazy but I enjoy receiving compliments. Helps with my chronic self esteem issues. I figure, "Hey! I'm going to try and make someone else's day just a little bit better!" but almost every single time I do that, I end up completely regretting it. I'm going to continue to compliment my friends, but as for anyone else- I'm kind of done.

Posted by: Inverso ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 12:12PM

Well, consider it a compliment from me that you made me feel better.

Posted by: beulahland ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 11:02AM

To understand the reasoning you have to remember that "bros" would never compliment a girl on her clothes or hair or something unless they were trying to get laid. Thus, when you compliment a bro, said bro just sees a fellow dude and assumes you're sending out the bro mating call. Being a bro he feels the need to define his questionable heterosexuality by informing you that he's not gay, and then burning the shirt when he gets home (or at least tearing the sleeves off).

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 11:27AM

instead of the macho pig he wants to be. You humiliated him in his weird world view.

Communication between members of the same species shouldn't be so difficult.

Date: August 12, 2011 11:44AM

I would understand if I had said, "Hey. Nice shirt. I would like to fondle your genitals."

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 01:28PM

A fairly homophobic bar patron related to me that he didn't see what the problem with kicking a gay man's ass was if the gay man had the nerve to make a pass at him. I looked him square in the eye and retorted, "So that means the next time some jackass like you makes a move on me, I get to cut off your genitals and beat you to death right?!? Fair is fair afterall."

He was a little speachless. He probably didn't get my point, but maybe he'll think twice about his stupid prejudices.

Posted by: Stunted ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 11:25AM

I'm feeling totally rejected but I don't know if it's justified.

Stunted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2011 11:26AM by Stunted.

Posted by: beulahland ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 11:47AM

Hey Stunted, you have really sexy syntax.

Feel better? I can't compliment your appearance via message board. Well, I could, but it would be disingenuous.

Posted by: Stunted ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 12:01PM

I've always had a syntax deficiency and I've been working to improve for several months now. Thanks for noticing!

I actually get compliments all day long about how physically perfect and appealing I am so it's refreshing to get complimented on something else for a change.....(picture Jabba the Hut on a bad day)

Stunted

Posted by: yours_truly ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 11:54AM

The uncertainty outside of the morg is such that maybe not everybody is aware they have a penis? Maybe there's just a 50% (ca.) chance of it? ;-)

Date: August 12, 2011 12:13PM

So - when's the friday drink O/T thread 'kicking' in?

Date: August 12, 2011 12:19PM

So..... who's YOU fu**ing tonight?

Posted by: voweaver ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 01:09PM

"Okay, just gimme the shirt, and I'll leave you alone."

Nah, actually you should say something like, "Oh, GAWD, I wouldn't bang you if you were the last man on Earth. Get OVER yourself, Pal."

Make sure you have a look on your face like there's something NASTY TASTING in your mouth.

I'm sure I'll think of other snazzy comeback lines for the rest of the day!

~VOW

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 01:14PM

You should have said, "Oh you thought...." (and laugh and keep laughing like it's so damn funny) "you thought I was actually hitting on you?! Hahahahahahhahaha!" Just maybe he would have felt like an ass.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 01:19PM

GLA - seriously, that happens to me too. Some guys are just too wound up and if you smile at them, talk to them, compliment them they just assume you are after them. Really, I don't know where they buy their egos but it must be at the buy-one, get-one-free ego shop because what NERVE for a man to assume I want him just because I was nice and friendly. Arrogant. It's not you GLA, some guys just have problems.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.