Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tabula Rasa ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 03:08PM

..shat your pants when we went to the 3 hour block? I know I did, but it wasn't until after the first session. I drove home thinking I was fucked and would never get a Sunday afternoon nap again.

Ron

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Sandie ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 03:15PM

where we lost visiting time between meetings. It killed fellow shipping and turned us into pre-packaged robots, not that we weren't robotic sheeple in advance of it.

Date: August 11, 2011 03:15PM

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 03:21PM

and now it is ONLY three hours? ah hell i thought i had it bad when Mass was an hour long and in Latin!!! OY VAY! (HEY i work with a Jewish guy) :)

Date: August 11, 2011 03:36PM

were held. Then a few hours later Sunday school (which was my favorite) meeting occurred. The sometime in the late afternoon or early evening there was Sacrament meeting. Some wards would hold Sac. meeting first, etc.

In between the times when you were not in church, other wards occupied the building at various times of the day for their meetings.

Supposedly, the meetings were consolidated to reduce travel time and expense for members having to drive to and from the church buildings. It, also, cut down on electricity expenses necessary to heat and cool the buildings.

The end result was members being herded from one meeting to another with no fellowshiping time. Members arrived in a rush, attended, and especially with children were too worn out and hungry to stick around and chat.

Posted by: Bal ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 07:24PM

OH NO! Not a HIGH MASS again!

Posted by: King Benjamin ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 03:25PM

...a number of times when I was in Guatemala and drank the water.

But I think you're speaking metaphorically, so I'll save those stories for another time.

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 04:43PM

When were you in Guate? Mid 80s for me.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 03:35PM

I left before that, but I know I would have absolutely hated the three hour block. What a bad idea!

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 03:48PM

Scheduling the buildings for 3 wards was a nightmare.

Meetings always ran over. No one thought anything of going 30 minutes over at each one, and the next ward was left grumbling in the foyer - more socializing time than expected, eh?

Traffic and parking wasn't a problem where I lived near the UofU because 3 wards were in easy walking distance from each building.

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 04:44PM

I was too young to really know much different. But I do know that 3 hours for a kid is nearly impossible. I felt like my butt grew roots on every hard plastic chair.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 04:36PM

ROTFLMAO

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 04:46PM

I was out by that time. Wow,,, all the things I missed.

Posted by: dr5 ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 05:04PM

Three hours straight? I don't think I could sit still that long, much less pay attention.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 04:59PM

Before "the block," we had to go to and from the meeting house twice each Sunday. Each morning, we'd have Sunday School followed by Priesthood/Relief Society. We'd go home, then return in the evening for Sacrament meeting. It was still 3 hours total -- just not continuous.

For me it was a wash. Three hours is a long time... but not making the return trip actually freed up the other part of the day. So.. depending on having a morning or afternoon block, one got to have the afternoon free, or sleep in. So, actually... the naps were more frequent due to the block schedule. (I was never important enough and/or willing to busy up myself with other Mormon Sunday stuff....)

We had the sacrament twice in pre-block days, once in Sunday School, then again in the aft/eve in Sacrament meeting. So, double duty for the Aaronic Priesthood.

Posted by: BrightAqua ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 05:04PM

PH was in the early morning, then the guys came home to get the wives and children (moms had to get the family ready by themselves). Then an hour and a half of SS, complete with opening exercises, followed by classes. Sac was later in the day, sometimes in the early evening. RS was on a weekday, as was Primary.

I lived all over the country before the block, and that was the pattern everywhere. Still, there was opportunity for visiting and catching up, which is sorely lacking today.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 05:16PM

You're right, I stand corrected! I forgot about the early priesthood meeting... and about that odd time in between when guys either went home or waited for the wife/mom to show up with the gaggle of kids.

But yeah, the 3 hour block eliminated a lot of the extra overhead time, and freed up the day for other things, (assuming you didn't spend the rest in meetings... or were a real stickler for Sabbath observance)

Posted by: BrightAqua ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 06:01PM

either warm-up just before SS or real practice in the evenings. MIA (I am really old!) was on a weeknight for an hour and a half, too. There were MIA firesides a couple of Sundays a month and Saturday night dances.

When my parents were Mutual Marrieds (older than Young Marrieds), they would have dinners every so often and occasional firesides, too. This was in the 60s, in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Know Your Religion was once a month in Oakland and Education Week was once a year, also in Oakland.

Posted by: Roman Gabriel ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 05:11PM

As a kid I always managed to play football between SS and Sac. Or baseball, depending on the time of year. Sometimes I could fake an injury to get out of going back for Sacrament.

The early evening sacrament meetings really messed with watching football on TV in those days too, but if the playoffs were going on, I could kiss good-bye to sacrament as I could usually talk my dad into staying home. We would send the women to church and tell them to return and report.

Posted by: Just Browsing ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 06:13PM

I did not mind the 9am-12 noon time frame, because it meant not getting up at 7 am for priesthood .. Also it was over before most NFL games were started .. And I could snooze all afternoon and all the evenings were free time.

Get it over with early in the day !!!

JB

Posted by: regularguy ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 06:07PM

Before the "Block Schedule" we had to go to church 3x on Sunday. Priesthood in the morning, SS with sacrament at noon and then back around 400ish for sacrament meeting where we took the sacrament again! I liked the block plus it saved tons of gas. Now of course, I can't believe I went to church for 3-4 hours every Sunday for years!

Posted by: verdacht ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 07:13PM

Didn't like the block mtgs. For some (obviously) weird reason I preferred the split meetings. Only about two hrs. in the morning with a break before Sac. at 5:00. Of course certain callings ended up making you spend most of the day at church anyway.

Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 08:00PM

I quit before the three hour block. But I sure dreaded putting on a suit again to go back to SM. Usually once a year I could talk my parents into letting me miss so I could watch The Wizard Of Oz. The other kids would guilt trip me at school for missing church.

What I really hated was the afternoon sessions of stake conference. What a snoozefest.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2011 08:14PM by Charley.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.