Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: August 13, 2011 12:17AM

. . . one sick blankety-blank.

I told them not to talk that way about Joseph Smith.

They replied that Jeffs is worse than Smith, but then conceded that that we don't, of course, have audiotapes of Smith.

So, in your opinion, who's worse?

Warren Jeffs or Joseph Smith?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2011 12:23AM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: fancypants ( )
Date: August 13, 2011 12:21AM

Joseph Smith, since he started both the mormon religion and polygamy. Jeffs just followed in his father's footsteps.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: August 13, 2011 12:25AM

Jeffs took it from there.

Both were major-league perverts, though.

Posted by: nebularry ( )
Date: August 13, 2011 08:27AM

+1

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: August 13, 2011 01:05PM

You could at least say Warren Jeffs was brainwashed, is delusional, etc.

Joseph Smith was a self-serving narcissistic megalomaniac who used his charm to deceive everybody he knew, starting with his own parents.

He stole his father's dream, his mother's prayers. He lied to Emma's father and betrayed every person who ever believed in him. He left a true legacy in Brigham Young who magnified the errors of Joseph Smith into a caricature of religion, a mockery of Christianity, that is still doing its damage today.

Look at the most "successful" Mormons, Mitt Romney and Jon Huntsman. Poor Romney puzzles all the analysts because he is incapable of interacting spontaneously with voters. THere he is at the Iowa State fair, tie-less as instructed by his image consultant, foot on a hay bale (yes, ridiculous). Did you hear him say "Corporations ARE people, my friend. The money that corporations make ends up in the pockets of PEOPLE, my friend." Every person in the small audience laughed.

The idea that a multi-national corporation is the same thing as a farmer just shows you how brainwashing to believe the improbable and impossible damages the critical thinking and impromptu speaking part of the brain. Too many fast and testimony meetings, Mitt.

The analysts may be confused, but this brain damage is the legacy of Joseph Smith.

Anagrammy

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: August 13, 2011 12:25AM

Not only is he a pedophile, he kept so many people so severely controlled by kicking boys out of the community at the smallest provocation, no doubt invented in many cases, removed families, not just wives, from "unworthy" men, etc. It sounds like Smith was charming (according to some people), kind, good with children (aside from diddling girls), but Jeffs is and was never any of that. Jeffs is only a cruel creepy creep.

Under Jeffs, boy and girls were taught to treat each other "like snakes", then magically, all of a sudden, have sex with each other after their arranged marriages. All marriages were set up by Jeffs. Nothing happened without his consent, if not outright direction. From all I've read, I'd have to say that Smith was an amateur compared to Jeffs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2011 12:28AM by serena.

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: August 13, 2011 12:38AM

and tried to make him accountable. That's something. It doesn't appear to me Jeffs had even that.

Posted by: dane ( )
Date: August 13, 2011 12:47AM

I don't think JS was very nice. Especially to those who would not comply. JS had the Danites doing his dirty deeds. While WJ tried his hand at destroying people, I am not sure he got into murdering. (though he could have done and we just haven't heard about it)

Overall, JS, IMHO, was worse in ALL regards but WJ was doing his damndest to catch up.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2011 12:48AM by dane.

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: August 13, 2011 12:51AM

Posted by: FreeRose ( )
Date: August 13, 2011 12:54AM

Smith gets the giant A$$hole award. But Jeffs gets the sick b%$@stard award for underaged *spiritual* group sex of which he recorded and kept a copy in his car. Sick and disgusting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2011 01:03AM by FreeRose.

Posted by: Cristina ( )
Date: August 13, 2011 01:27AM

I don't buy that these men who married 14 & 15 year olds, who married each other's wives, who lied to the church and to their wives, who enacted death penalties for telling....drew the line on having only one woman in bed with them at a time.

I think the last untapped secret in Mormonism is how the men used polygamy to coerce women into group sex. (Or threesomes or whatever.) I think that's what polygamy was all about. Men could have had affairs without the need of polygamy but there was no way to get several women (especially in those days) to have sex with them together other than using polygamy and the idea of sister wives ministering to their common husband. And think about how the men liked "marrying" each other's wives.

Early polygamy in Mormonism was about group sex and sharing sex partners. I think it's impossible that Brigham Young decided every night that ONE wife would sleep with him when he had a harem who believed they must obey him. What would stop this over-fed, murderer, over indulgent narcissist from requiring more than one woman to be in bed with him at a time?

Warren Jeffs holds up a mirror...

Posted by: escapee ( )
Date: August 13, 2011 06:31AM

Cristina Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Warren Jeffs holds up a mirror...

....but can his reflection be seen?

Susan

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: August 13, 2011 10:13AM

Posted by: kdog ( )
Date: August 13, 2011 01:04AM

I often wonder what other rules and revelations Joseph Smith would've come up with had he not died so young. I think he would've come up with crazier and crazier stuff as he aged.

So to answer your question, I think it's a toss up. J.S. definitely had some great potential. Geez, imagine if he would've made it with the saints to Utah. His power in that lone state would've been insurmountable. (not sure if I even used that word right, but it sure sounds good!) :)

He probably would've proclaimed himself GOD!

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: August 13, 2011 02:17AM

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: August 13, 2011 05:57AM

Date: August 13, 2011 11:17AM

Posted by: escapee ( )
Date: August 13, 2011 06:29AM

Smith is dead, Jeffs should be.

I can't make up my mind which is worse.

I think when they were born, someone should have knocked them in the head and sold the milk, as my sister would say. Would have save a whole lot of trouble.

Susan

Posted by: What did I miss ( )
Date: August 13, 2011 08:35AM

It looks like Jeffs is carried in the manner Joe Smith was. In other words. Jeffs was living pure "true" Mormonism.

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: August 13, 2011 09:55AM

Two of a kind. Had they both lived at the same time, they would have been deadly rivals for the Head Profit spot and all the young girls and orgies. Like asking which smells worse, rotten eggs or rotten potatoes. Both stink.

Posted by: nickerickson ( )
Date: August 13, 2011 10:22AM

One in the same with Briggy and the others who preyed on young girls.

Posted by: LordBritish ( )
Date: August 13, 2011 11:53AM

I am just going to assume 'ass u me'.

I say Joseph Smith. We have no idea how far he may have taken it. His life was cut short, but with the technology available and the stuff he managed to do with what he was given, he was able to pull off quite the polygamous coup.

I think he may very well have put Brigham Young to shame and Warren Jeff's would have been only fit to be in the nursery..(shudder).

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: August 13, 2011 02:18PM

Posted by: skeptifem ( )
Date: August 13, 2011 03:37PM

Joseph Smith. Jeffs and Smith were pervs, but the way that smith sent a bunch of his underlings to their deaths over stupid bullshit (resistance in missouri) puts him over the top for me. Jeffs wasn't responsible for anyone dying as far as I know.

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: August 13, 2011 03:52PM

They both suck just about the same. I agree with skeptifem about the murders JS was responsible for. I do think that makes him a little worse but not by much.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: August 13, 2011 03:58PM

I sway both directions. At lease JS could tell a good story and was probably entertaining. At least you knew who his first wife was, and she was outspoken on some level. Evil is evil, I guess. They are both terrible. I think BY was worse than the two of them put together.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 13, 2011 04:10PM

Whatever JS was doing, it was so bad people killed him (sorry, but it wasn't about mean people who didn't like his religion).

My conclusion is that people were really pissed he was zombifying girls and boinking them. People were starting to write about it which is the real reason why JS took down the printing press.

Ultimately it was his rounding up of fresh meat all the time that pissed people off and he was killed for it.

Why didn't this happen to Jeffs? I think it was because for the most part Jeffs was in a protected zone where people could not complain about Mormonism or JS. He didn't have people like the Missourians saying "show me" like JS did. Jeff's mistake was branching into Texas where JS isn't protected by the majority. Jeffs was able to get all his meat home grown in relative isolation. UT would have never opened up that can of worms.

I think BY was doing the same thing and ultimately it could have pissed someone off (just speculation about his death). He had a nice period of time where he called the shots in isolation. It's pretty obvious he was rounding up the ladies as well (and not for their cooking skills).

JS was probably the most brazen and it got him killed. I think he felt invincible. It wasn't about martyrdom. It was about picking the wrong girl to boink. He may have actually thought he had God in his pocket approving of everything. I think Jeffs may actually believe God favors him with special perks.

Date: August 13, 2011 04:48PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2011 04:49PM by steve benson.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.