Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jw the inquizzinator ( )
Date: August 16, 2011 11:39AM

I like this:

http://thinkprogress.org/alyssa/2011/08/15/295935/virginia-schools-takes-sherlock-holmes-off-6th-grade-reading-list/

Snippet:

"And more importantly, even if the details are sensationalistic, it is true that plural marriage and defense of the faith by force are part of early Mormon history. There’s a difference between a right to have the fact that you believe treated with respect, and the right to have the history your faith presented only the terms that make you comfortable, no matter the actual facts. Children also have a right to learn critical thinking in school, and works that offend no one are unlikely to help them develop those skills. If the parent who complained about A Study in Scarlet had asked that it be taught as part of an interdisciplinary curriculum that points out where Conan Doyle exaggerated for dramatic effect while acknowledging the realities of early Mormon history, I might have been sympathetic. But given that the school’s responded by removing the book from the curriculum rather than placing it in context, I think it’s time to get the Baker Street Irregulars to buy a bunch of Sherlock Holmes books for Albemarle County schoolkids, just as the Vonnegut Museum did with Slaughterhouse Five after the book was banned in Missouri."

and this:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2011/08/15/book-banning-is-alive-and-well-in-virginia/

Snippet:

"I find all book banning offensive and immoral, personally, though I’m fine with assigning reading to appropriate age groups. If we ban every book written before the world became as politically correct as it is today that someone finds offensive, our classics section will be rather thinned out. No witches, no Twain, and no religions shown in controversial historical light. We may as well not read at all if we aren’t to read anything the slightest bit controversial.

"To be fair, A Study in Scarlet is hardly the best Holmes mystery. It’s fairly unremarkable other than its treatment of Mormonism, which is mainly interesting as a window into the international view of that religion during its early years. That Mormonism was viewed outside of America as something of an extremist, cult-like religion is hardly surprising, but it’s interesting to read in the context of a Sherlock Holmes story. We fear what we don’t understand, which made Mormons the perfect subject matter for Doyle’s readers in far-off England."

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.