Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mo larkey ( )
Date: August 26, 2011 10:52AM

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=960&sid=16967067

The Utah Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control approved liquor licenses Thursday for two of the five restaurants planned for the $1.5 billion mixed-use development.

The property's master plan was developed by City Creek Reserve Inc., a real estate subsidiary of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Additionally, among the unique features of the project will be a fully retractable glass roof, a skybridge over Main Street and a re-creation of City Creek — the snow-fed stream that once flowed through the city.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: August 26, 2011 11:32AM

so now the price tag has dropped back to $1.5B? Hmmmmm, didn't I read in the local paper some time back that the cost was well north of $2B?

Posted by: lazarus ( )
Date: August 27, 2011 10:10AM

And now it's down to $1 billion. It has to be convenient for a church to own its own newspaper AND news station.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=16952487

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: August 26, 2011 11:39AM

Interesting. History repeats itself. This tidbit from the blue-set of official LDS history....

"
Personal Sale of Liquors
====
Be it ordained by the City Council of Nauvoo, that the Mayor of the city be and is hereby authorized to sell or give spirits of any quantity as he in his wisdom... for the health and comfort, or convenience of persons as shall visit his house from time to time." 12/1843. JOSEPH SMITH, Mayor ...History of the Church, Vol. 6, p. 111

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: August 26, 2011 11:45AM

I'm sure the homeless in SLC (and the starving in Africa) will appreciate this part of the Jesus Mall.

"Additionally, among the unique features of the project will be a fully retractable glass roof, a skybridge over Main Street and a re-creation of City Creek — the snow-fed stream that once flowed through the city."

Oh, wait. Homeless folks won't be allowed in--there's a dress code--recently washed only.

BTW, didn't the retractable roof alone cost several $100sM?

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: August 27, 2011 11:23AM

When Jesus said to clothe the naked and feed the hungry, he MEANT from the Gap and the food court.

Those wicked translators left that part out of the Bible.

Posted by: just a thought ( )
Date: August 26, 2011 12:48PM

Since the Utah legislature limited the number of new licenses to the size of the population (IIRC), there is a growing list of restaurants all vying for a dwindling supply of licenses.

So how in the holy heck did City Creek get them so easily?

Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: August 27, 2011 10:24AM

Where I live, the biggest hurdle to jump in obtaining the license is cost. The limited supply has driven the price up quite a bit. I don't know if that's how the system works in slc though.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: August 27, 2011 11:24AM

Go to the Cheesecake Factory at Fashion Place instead. Open on Sunday!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2011 11:25AM by caedmon.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: August 29, 2011 04:30AM

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: August 27, 2011 11:27AM

I thought I read somewhere that the retractable roof alone is going to cost $1.5 BILLION! >:-(

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.