Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: September 06, 2011 12:27PM

Someone on RfM recently posted about "Doc", a book about LDS women in a very Mormon community in Wyoming who were sexually abused by the town doctor (a Baptist). I haven't gotten very far into the book yet, but so far it's very engrossing... and a little gross. I can't even imagine how I would feel if my primary doctor felt the need to examine my nether regions every time I came in for an office visit. I know people trust their doctors, but geez!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: September 06, 2011 12:30PM

It will get quite disturbing and graphic later on. It makes you wonder how those women could be so naive, but that's how he was able to victimize so many females.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2011 12:30PM by Itzpapalotl.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: September 06, 2011 12:34PM

Made me so mad that I threw it across the room! That women could be so damn naive, and that a physician could be so contemptuous of women, so full of hatred and disdain!

Of course I eventually went and picked the damn thing up... HAD to finish it you know! Jack Olsen really was a super writer; his other books are mesmerizing too.

Does anyone know what happened to that creep?

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: September 06, 2011 01:02PM

Was convicted,,sent to prison. Now released,,whereabouts unknown.

Posted by: ennen ( )
Date: September 06, 2011 12:36PM

I just read that book, too, after hearing about it on this board. It was very interesting. The naivete of the women is unbelievable, but not nearly as much as the behavior of the doctor (and his supporters).

It is a very graphic story, but also eye-opening. It made me want to make sure that I do a better job of preparing any possible kids for this world than the people in that community did.

Date: September 06, 2011 12:44PM

I may have some trouble with this book. I have kind of a phobia when it comes to doctors, especially gynecologists. My fear stems from a combination of inappropriate things that happened to me when I was young and a very traumatic first visit to the OB-GYN. I saw the OB-GYN for the first time when I was almost 23 years old and didn't go back again until I was 35 because my first experience was so awful. Sadly, the person who performed my first exam was a woman. I still hate going to the doctor and reading about this creep might not help. On the other hand, I love true crime.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: September 06, 2011 03:41PM

I like true crime, too, but "Doc" really is creepy.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 06, 2011 03:54PM

It mostly bothered me that the women were so timid, naive and stupid. Maybe some were just stunned with what was happening, but I think most just did whatever they were told.

He had a great pool of victims because they were so used to obedience, authority figures, and not questioning. They were so uninformed.

I was appalled that this guy got away with it. Men who have to trick and manipulate naive women to get access to crotch really piss me off lately.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2011 04:43PM by dagny.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: September 06, 2011 04:25PM

The thing that bothered me the most about what happened to these women was the reaction of many of their husbands, who evidently believed that these women, who were so incredibly naive (and who had purposefully been KEPT that naive by the norms of their culture and their community), were complicit in what happened to them.

In the case of these particular women, "blame the victim" was the automatic reaction of those people in their lives who SHOULD have been the most understanding, and I feel so much for the devastation which happened to them AFTER the truth came out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2011 04:25PM by tevai.

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: September 06, 2011 06:20PM

This book is probably not for people who have had bad experiences in the stirrups... It made me seriously cringe and I only have a very little reluctance in that area, no out and out bad experiences.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 11, 2011 05:43PM

You even got a pitch in for RfM. ;-)

It sure was a creepy book.

Date: September 11, 2011 05:49PM

Thanks! I have found some really excellent book and music selections on this board.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: September 11, 2011 07:11PM

Posted by: brandy ( )
Date: September 11, 2011 08:36PM

Thanks for the heads up. I ordered tonight on amazon. Congratulations to all of you who are able to read something informative even though disturbing.........so refreshing to see people do this

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.