Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: September 11, 2011 07:12AM

These men were participants at Mountain Meadows September 11 1857:

William H. Dame - Stake President (Parowan)

Isaac C. Haight - Stake President (Cedar) and mastermind

John H. Higbee - 1stCounselor to Haight

Philip Klingensmith - Bishop (Cedar)

John Doyle Lee - Bishop

Nephi Johnson later became presiding elder, acting bishop, and bishop's counselor in succession

George Albert Smith - 2nd in command of LDS church, in 1868 made 1counselor to Brigham Young

William C. Stewart High Priest

Daniel Hanmer Wells Apostle and 2nd Counselor to Brigham

-------------
Perhaps the blessings of following the Priesthood can be counted on 240 fingers.

--------------------------

"We have heard men who hold the priesthood remark that they would do anything they were told to do by those who preside over them -- even if they knew it was wrong. But such obedience as this is worse than folly to us. It is slavery in the extreme. The man who would thus willingly degrade himself should not claim a rank among intelligent beings until he turns from his folly.

"A man of God would despise this idea. Others, in the extreme exercise of their almighty authority have taught that such obedience was necessary, and that no matter what the Saints were told to do by their presidents, they should do it without any questions.

"When Elders [leaders] of Israel will so far indulge in these extreme notions of obedience as to teach them to the people, it is generally because they [the leaders] have it in their hearts to do wrong themselves."

-- Joseph Smith, Jr.
Millenial Star, Archive Volume 14, Number 38, Pages 593-595

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Redwing ( )
Date: September 11, 2011 09:53AM

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: September 11, 2011 10:11AM

On this day in 1999, a monument was dedicated by GB Hinkster to honor those killed in the Mountain Meadows Massacre. Can anyone tell me what year Brigham Young destroyed the first one?

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: September 11, 2011 12:17PM

I'd never even heard of Brigham destroying the first one! @_@

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: September 12, 2011 10:23AM

In 1861 "Brigham Young made his only visit to the [massacre] site and saw the monument of granite stones and the cedar cross that Major Carleton and his men had erected and inscribed with the words, "Vengeance is mine: I will repay, saith the Lord." Young studied it a moment, then said: "It should be Vengeance is mine and I have taken a little" (Kenney, ed., Wilford Woodruff's Journal, 5:577.) That was all he said, Dudley Leavitt recalled. "He just lifted his right arm to the square and in five minutes there wasn't one stone left upon another". Even more revealing was the fact that Young gave no spoken order. "He didn't have to tell us what he wanted done," Leavitt said. "We understood." (Brooks, The Mountain Meadows Massacre, p183.)

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: September 12, 2011 10:29AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2011 11:09AM by Twinker.

Posted by: badseed ( )
Date: September 12, 2011 10:51AM

if he ever though the Church would come out with part 2 of it's account of MMM. I can't imagine how they would spin BY's actions after the fact. Personally I think they are just as concerning as the inflammatory rhetoric that he and George A. Smith threw around before the event.

The obstruction of justice, the destruction of the the rock cairn, then the fixed trail and scapegoating of John D. Lee don't really jive with the views most LDS have of a prophet.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.