Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: September 15, 2011 01:01PM

There's a problem with LDS idea that the worthy priesthood holder will call forth his worthy wife (or wives) from the grave. What if they aren't buried near each other?

For example, my brother is buried in Arlington National Cemetery. His wife won't be. She lives in Utah and will probably be buried there. So, come the resurrection, my brother would need to get across the country in order to raise his beloved wife. What would the transportation situation be?

We've become a mobile society. Families are scattered all over the place. Very few people have a family burial plot anymore. Yet the mythology hasn't kept pace with the realities of life. One would think eternal truths would become more in line with reality as time passed. "Oh, that didn't make any sense a hundred years ago, but now, yes, it fits perfectly." But, no. The concepts are anchored in the times they were created.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GayLayAle ( )
Date: September 15, 2011 01:03PM

Why Mormons think they deserve special treatment is beyond me.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: September 15, 2011 01:08PM

What about people who were buried at sea? Their resurrection should be quite spectacular I should imagine... :-)

Besides, being a woman, I've always found it extremely annoying that my role would have been to just wait and see if hubby sees fit to call me. Talk about ancient concepts!

Posted by: FreeRose ( )
Date: September 15, 2011 05:58PM

"The sea gave up the dead that were in it.."

They will be OK. ;-D

Posted by: Brigham Young ( )
Date: September 15, 2011 01:57PM

I liked Amelia the best. She had nice breasts.
Now, Ann Eliza, nah, I won't bother her. She can rot in Hades for all I care.

Posted by: Dan McKenzie ( )
Date: September 15, 2011 02:02PM

Here's another thought.What if your spouse has been cremated and scattered in different spots?

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: September 15, 2011 02:03PM

Imagine the physics involved with reuniting every atom of every person that ever lived. And what about the atoms of dead people that end up becoming part of living people.....you know....like when they say that we all share atoms from Ceasar, breath the same air molecules, etc. How do you split shared atoms between people without blowing up the planet in a nulcear explosion??

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: September 15, 2011 02:09PM

So does Aron Raalston have to travel back to Blue John Canyon to reclaim his arm? He scattered the ashes of his self amputated arm there where he lost it.

Polygamists are going to have spend the whole morning raising wife after wife. That ought to keep Brigham out of the way for the rest of us.

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: September 16, 2011 08:46AM

Posted by: jf ( )
Date: September 15, 2011 02:12PM

I think Twitter has already solved this problem.

Posted by: Comfortably Numb ( )
Date: September 15, 2011 03:31PM

What if there is no body left? Been a few people who have been vaporized in blasts like the atom bomb drops of WW2 fame. I've heard of people in combat who get killed in such a fast and violent manner that there is nothing left but a blot in the sky where they were or where they were standing.

If we are using the same matter as those who went before us, then our bodies are really just a vessel for our intellect while we have them. Interesting thoughts...meditiate like Yoda I will (not) on this matter...

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: September 15, 2011 06:02PM

It makes me think of a possible horror movie scene where zombies go off looking for their body parts, and end up fighting each other for them.

"Mine." "No, mine!"

Date: September 15, 2011 06:05PM

You gotta read Revelation without the Morg blinders on. It really does help. With all God has created, our planet, bodies, universe, I'm sure he has our DNA/soul reuniting all planned out. Have faith. ;-D

Posted by: nevermokhouria ( )
Date: September 15, 2011 06:09PM

+1

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: September 15, 2011 07:17PM

I wonder if god will turn the new Lamanite DNA back into the old Jewish DNA in the resurrection?

Date: September 15, 2011 09:51PM

We are going to change your name to Jonny the Snark. haha

Posted by: Charlie ( )
Date: September 15, 2011 08:00PM

"You can have her.
I don't want her.
She didn't love me anyway.
She only wanted..."

"You can have her.
She's too fat for me."

Amen and Amen and AMEN!

Posted by: xophor ( )
Date: September 15, 2011 10:19PM

If it were resurrection morning, I'm pretty sure I'd still have a thousand more years of rotting and daisy-pushing on my slate.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: September 16, 2011 06:34AM

MuttMan was in top form with this one...

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: September 16, 2011 09:49AM

that doesn't mean the man has to be next to her. We have CELL phones these days that make that possible even over long distances. Sure, she'd be dead, but the scripture doesn't SAY she has to ANSWER.

How could those prophets have KNOWN about modern technology! The church IS true.

BTW, who calls forth the man?

Posted by: RAG ( )
Date: September 16, 2011 12:07PM

I think it's very edifying to think Mormon claims and doctrines through to their actual practice. Because of the emphasis on feelings over reality, they are constantly throwing out ridiculous notions that, once examined, are easily discarded.

Resurrection in zombie movies makes more sense than the Christian and Mormon resurrections. I remember a coworker telling me that, when he was resurrected, he would be taller and have more hair. So, I'm guessing that the fat will be thin, the weak strong, etc. Will the retarded be smart? Will the darkskinned be light? What about tattoos? And so on. The farther you follow it, the louder you hear the dumb, dumb, dumb.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.