Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nonmo ( )
Date: September 16, 2011 11:44AM

I always wonder why mormon leaders talk out of both sides of their mouths....

Talks of acceptance and not striving to be perfect...all the while many TBM faithful do NOT accept others other than right wing mormons and strive for perfection, while looking down on others "less perfect" (less mormon) than them. Don't get me started on planets, Adam/God, and the Cain curse......

I am sure you all have much more pertinent examples of this but it makes me wonder...WHY the confusion and double-speak.

I just figured it out...It's because they don't have an educated group of PAID clergy.....

I know mormons take pride in this as a "paid" clergy man is of the devil and all.. (nevermind what mormons do in THEIR temples...)

Anyway if you have uneducated and unskilled people giving you lessons/training...what do you get????

People who can't get their theology/doctrines right.....

Anyway as a kid play this game?:
---Line up 10 kids side by side.
---Teacher whispers something in the first kid's ear.
---Teacher gives EXPLICIT instructions to repeat..EXACTLY was he/she said to the next kid.
---And on down the line.

And what happened????

The message words, intent, and meaning had changed.

It JUST hit me......

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mctoppington ( )
Date: September 16, 2011 11:57AM

nonmo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I always wonder why mormon leaders talk out of
> both sides of their mouths....
>
> Talks of acceptance and not striving to be
> perfect...all the while many TBM faithful do NOT
> accept others other than right wing mormons and
> strive for perfection, while looking down on
> others "less perfect" (less mormon) than them.
> Don't get me started on planets, Adam/God, and the
> Cain curse......
>
> I am sure you all have much more pertinent
> examples of this but it makes me wonder...WHY the
> confusion and double-speak.
>
> I just figured it out...It's because they don't
> have an educated group of PAID clergy.....
>
> I know mormons take pride in this as a "paid"
> clergy man is of the devil and all.. (nevermind
> what mormons do in THEIR temples...)
>
> Anyway if you have uneducated and unskilled people
> giving you lessons/training...what do you get????
>
> People who can't get their theology/doctrines
> right.....
>
>
>
> Anyway as a kid play this game?:
> ---Line up 10 kids side by side.
> ---Teacher whispers something in the first kid's
> ear.
> ---Teacher gives EXPLICIT instructions to
> repeat..EXACTLY was he/she said to the next
> kid.
> ---And on down the line.
>
> And what happened????
>
> The message words, intent, and meaning had
> changed.
>
>
>
>
>
> It JUST hit me......

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: September 16, 2011 12:27PM

Mormons follow MEN, not scriptures. Remember how the "living oracles are more important than the scriptures" yadda yadda. For example, there is nothing in the scriptures about the WOW being a commandment. In fact in the SCRIPTURES God specifically states that it is NOT given by way of commandment. However the CHURCH contradicts God and says it is a commandment.

However in the past the MEN who are more important than the scriptures have said stuff that is embarassing--like Briggy's Adam-God doctrine. Therefore the leaders never say that they got anything from God but we are supposed to ASSUME that they did until they are contradicted by a later leader. Hinckley's earring pronouncement comes to mind.

Add this to the fact that they are a proselyting Church--always in the middle of a membership-drive. That means they are trying to look good to the world. This necessitates putting on a false front. God was once a man? "I don't know that we teach that, I don't know that we emphasize that" etc.

That leads to confusion over doctrine; lots of it.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: September 16, 2011 12:35PM

Everything else can change from moment to moment, as needed. Everything else is just fluff.

Posted by: Shane Stewart ( )
Date: September 16, 2011 01:40PM

The doctrine is a moving target, it changes all the time. usually it changes without even being mentioned to any of us that it was changed. With statement like the one below coming from the paid clergy, how could anyone ever nail down the doctrine?

"We have read these passages and their associated passages for many years. We have seen what the words say and have said to ourselves, “Yes, it says that, but we must read out of it the taking of the gospel and the blessings of the temple to the Negro people, because they are denied certain things.” There are statements in our literature by the early Brethren which we have interpreted to mean that the Negroes would not receive the priesthood in mortality. I have said the same things, and people write me letters and say, “You said such and such, and how is it now that we do such and such?” And all I can say to that is that it is time disbelieving people repented and got in line and believed in a living, modern prophet. Forget everything that I have said, or what President Brigham Young or President George Q. Cannon or whomsoever has said in days past that is contrary to the present revelation. We spoke with a limited understanding and without the light and knowledge that now has come into the world."

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: September 16, 2011 02:13PM

When it appears the public are accepting of an explanation to some disgusting behaviour by former GAs or prophets, or to a fact that makes the cult look bad, then the COB decides that the prophet will get a "revelation" or someone on the Correlation Committee will sleaze the new doctrine into a manual, that is technically still not "doctrine". Reactions are gauged. Polls and surveys taken of how the Lord should run his church. Tithing income is estimated after any change to ensure maximum revenue.

Whatever happens, the faceless string-pullers in the COB are slow to move. Christ's church follows the world.

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: September 16, 2011 03:01PM

Mormon doctrine is like smoke.....you can't hold on to it and it changes although it is still the same thing ....a bunch of smoke.

Most of the doctrine that is cultural folk lore is no more than bullshit told around campfires to scare the beejezus out of the gulible faithful who are uneducated. 3 nephites? Cain/bigfoot? God acting like a human and humping in heaven? (i actually like that one a little in a sick sort of way).....resureted beings? Really?

Ask yourself this.....what would you expect from a Medium at a seance to talk to the dead? Signs? Manifestations of the spirits? Fear? Acceptance? Some spiritual feeling? It's all a bunch of fraud and yes they do want your money for all of the crap they just tricked you into believing.

Mormon doctrine = modern day revelation = Doublespeak = No doctrine.

Posted by: Shane Stewart ( )
Date: September 16, 2011 03:09PM

To be a Mormon is to also be an expert in doublethink. I know that this describes my wife and kids perfectly. I was the expert in the house and i fear i taught them all very well before i awoke. Its the one thing i don't think i will ever recover from.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doublethink

Posted by: Gorspel Dacktrin ( )
Date: September 16, 2011 04:02PM

I used to ponder, pray and perform pensive prestidigitation and pirouettes of perception in parsing the prolific packaging and pastiche of permutations of pathetic palaver produced by the pedantic and pretensious patriarchs of Mormonism.

In other words, I drove myself crazy trying to make sense of all of the bits and pieces of Mormon teachings, scriptures and "doctrines" that seemed to be inconsistent and contradictory.

Then, not long after returning from my labors as a missionary, I was engaged in another session of trying to fit some troubling pieces of Mormon doctrine with some other pieces of Mormon doctrine, when an odd thought/question occurred to me: "This is taking a lot of time and energy. What if it's all just bullshit and Mormon leaders have always been full of bullshit?"

It was like having a magic wand that could instantly clean and tidy up any mess. Wave the magic wand and everything made complete and perfect sense. It was the "it's all bullshit" wand. But it wasn't an illusion. It wasn't really magic. It just worked perfectly and made perfect sense.

Why did Brigham Young teach [fill in the blank]? Because he was full of sh*t

Why did Joseph Smith say [fill in the blank]? Because he was full of sh*t.

What happened to the "doctrine" of pre-existence ranking of spirits after June 9, 1978? Don't worry about it. It was all bullshit.

See! It works!

Posted by: nonmo ( )
Date: September 16, 2011 04:06PM

Gorspel Dacktrin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I used to ponder, pray and perform pensive
> prestidigitation and pirouettes of perception in
> parsing the prolific packaging and pastiche of
> permutations of pathetic palaver produced by the
> pedantic and pretensious patriarchs of Mormonism.
>
>
> In other words, I drove myself crazy trying to
> make sense of all of the bits and pieces of Mormon
> teachings, scriptures and "doctrines" that seemed
> to be inconsistent and contradictory.
>
> Then, not long after returning from my labors as a
> missionary, I was engaged in another session of
> trying to fit some troubling pieces of Mormon
> doctrine with some other pieces of Mormon
> doctrine, when an odd thought/question occurred to
> me: "This is taking a lot of time and energy.
> What if it's all just bullshit and Mormon leaders
> have always been full of bullshit?"
>
> It was like having a magic wand that could
> instantly clean and tidy up any mess. Wave the
> magic wand and everything made complete and
> perfect sense. It was the "it's all bullshit"
> wand. But it wasn't an illusion. It wasn't
> really magic. It just worked perfectly and made
> perfect sense.
>
> Why did Brigham Young teach ? Because he was full
> of sh*t
>
> Why did Joseph Smith say ? Because he was full of
> sh*t.
>
> What happened to the "doctrine" of pre-existence
> ranking of spirits after June 9, 1978? Don't
> worry about it. It was all bullshit.
>
> See! It works!

The catholic church is pretty consistent with their doctrines amongst the thousands of catholic churches all over the world...

Various catholic doctrines have been debated here but all in all, they're fairly consistent.....

Goes to show what a Theology degree will get you in keeping the flock in line I guess.....

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.