Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ladybug ( )
Date: September 16, 2011 08:00PM

Got a note from the primary president regarding my resignation (and my children). We have much in common outside of the church that has allowed us to stay friendly. In the fall-out I told her it was time for me to resign (quit going 10 years ago). That it would make it easier for everyone (no more contact for me and them not feeling like they need to rescue us).
I also told her I am in a really good place and that I can't ever imaging myself going back. Said I never was my authentic self until I gave up a lot of the LDS beliefs. Told her my daughter (now 27) would have struggled with that as well and that I am joyful that she realized that early in life....Here is her response:

"I understand. Luckily, the newer generation of Mormons are not quite the "Pharisees" their parents were. As a new temple worker, I have now been trained to accept whatever people are wearing to the temple and if people make a mistake through the ceremony we are not to point it out but to accept it. Wow! And I think the leaders in SLC (who made the new "rules" in the temple) are kinder and softer too. Frankly, this makes our church more Christ-like than it was before! But I understand fully what you are saying. It just makes me sad that it is true."

Thought the remarks about the temple are interesting....

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: presbyterian ( )
Date: September 16, 2011 08:06PM

I have observed that TBM's are encouraged to focus on the small details, garments, temple rituals, and the like while most other religions encourage self reflection and deeper study of the scriptures. Not everyone can be a Bible scholar or get a Masters of Divinity, but everyone is capable if thinking about more than hand gestures and necklines on underwear.

Your friend's response makes me sad. I don't believe she is a shallow person, but her religion makes her be shallow.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: September 16, 2011 08:21PM

I was just talking to a friend of mine the other day about how Mormonism is like that proverbial elephant being described by the blind men. Everyone tried to describe it by the little piece they felt (ears, nose, tail, side) but no one got it right. I think Mormons see what they want to/ need to in Mormonism. Like my mom who was complaining about how the local Catholic priest told her friend not to read books about other religions, written by people in those religions. My mom said "You'd never hear that in the Mormon church - they encourage you to learn about other religions."

Really?

Posted by: tiptoes ( )
Date: September 16, 2011 08:22PM

The last time I went to the temple, I kneeled in the celestial room to pray after everyone had left--tears streaming down my face. When I got up and was exiting, the female temple worker chased me down the hallway and told me it is not proper to kneel in prayer in the celestial room. I guess they are worried about those pristine chairs and sofas--cannot chance staining them with tears. Although this did not cause my disaffection, I was sorely embarrassed.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: September 16, 2011 11:20PM

Prof. Martha Bradley had a little rant in my Historian's Craft course I took with her. She hated the word "appropriate" and thought it elevated someone's personal opinion into a societal rule that everyone else should abide by. She said, "who are you to tell me what's "appropriate"??"

It's no wonder she didn't last @ BYU.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2011 11:21PM by axeldc.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.