Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 10:59AM

So, I'm watching the Daily Show yesterday and the commentator was talking about Keith Ablow's interview on CNN, where Keith objected to Chaz Bono's appearance on Dancing With the Stars. Keith claimed that anyone who was "on the fence" regarding their sexual orientation might see Chaz being treated like a hero and a Martin Luther King type figure and decide to get a sex change. The commentator said "I don't know if watching Chaz will make a person want to change sex but I do know that watching Keith Ablow can make a person into an @sshole."

I think that's going to be my new comeback when someone says "If you leave the church, your children will be wild." I'm going to reply "Maybe, but staying in the church obviously makes people @ssholes - so I think I'll take my chances."

Too harsh?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tauna ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 11:08AM

Been out 3 1/2 years. My kids are 17, 14, 11, 9.... no wildness yet. No drinking, no drugs, straight A's, participating in sports, all 4 kids on Student council...sometimes I think they're not wild enough (lol).

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 11:32AM

Cher left the church?

You are spot on, guv'ner- that is a perfect response to the holier-than-thou dingbats.

On a side note, the only kid I have who has had straight A's is the youngest one who wasn't old enough for the Priesthood when we left the church.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 02:21PM

I left the church 50 years ago. My atheist wife and I raised two sons, now 44 and 39, both fine, honest, hardworking good citizens.

I have a Mormon friend here whose son died from a drug overdose. I recently met my friend's sister who is also TBM, and her daughter (my friend's niece). The niece was covered in tattoos and had a small bone piercing her nose. She had just returned from two years' bumming around with her boyfriend, with whom she had an out-of-wedlock child.

It seems that growing up Mormon doesn't always make for the best adults.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 09:18PM

Not too harsh, at all. I think that is a great come-back!

Someone posted a thread about getting revenge on TBM's, socially, and this would be a good place to start.

I am polite and soft-spoken (when I'm not angry), and would prefer to not swear. But, I am going to personalize every come-back, in keeping with your basic theme.

Such as, to my bishop who threatened me that my children and I would fail financially, if we stopped paying tithing. "Paying tithing obviously makes them lose their job and live in their parent's basement."

"Attending church obviously makes kids do drugs and steal bicycles out of the neighbor's garage."

For most of those Mormon assholes (excuse the expression) who judge and threaten, I have a very personal axe to grind with each one. What a dandy way to throw all their own garbage back in their faces! (I will be kind with the suicides, mental cases, and pregnancies, though, cause that's playing too dirty.)

My ex-mo kids left the cult in high school and jr high, and they turned out great, too. They have wonderful, loyal, life-long non-Mormon friends. The boys were Eagle Scouts in a Christian troop. They had to work from paper-route and babysitting age, after school, and summers, and through college. Unlike the "entitled" Mormon snots, my kids have a strong work ethic. They are financially stable in this weird economy. They are also HONEST and personable--the kind of people that others like to do business with. They aren't prejudiced or sexist. (I always try to not brag about my kids, but it is hard not to!)

I'm sorry for all the fine parents and children who have had to deal with these nasty Mormon threats and accusations. It hurts.

Thanks for a great line, CA Girl!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2011 09:20PM by forestpal.

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 09:34PM

So, let me tell me adult children that . . .

The one who holds two jobs, is in a wonderful relationship, and teaches and competes in dance, and

The one who served 6 years in the Navy, is happily married, and is going to college to become a physical therapist, and

The one who has a master's in chemistry, will soon be receiving a Ph.D., is happily married, and will have no school debt, and

The one who just started graduate school in engineering, wants to teach some day, and maintains a close relationship with siblings.

I sure they will all agree without the Mormon Church they couldn't have done all this . . . . Wait, they did this without the Mormon Church.

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 09:36PM

I mean, isn't it fairly accepted that the children of bishops are usually the real hellions, moreso than anyone else?

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: September 24, 2011 12:55AM

My TBM mom swears it's because Satan works harder on the bishop's kids and the bishop's family because he can destabilize the whole ward by undercutting the leadership. One day she said that one time too many so I called her on it and said "Seriously - don't you think it may be because they are being raised abandoned by a parent, since their dad ran off with the church?" Mom, to her credit, didn't regard that as the opening volley in an argument and conceded that it might be part of the problem. But it was mostly Satan.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2011 12:56AM by CA girl.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 10:22PM

Wild thing, you make my heart sing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qHX493bB3U

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 11:09PM

Maybe, but with critical thinking skills they will be able to figure out what works for them longterm.

Anagrammy

Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 11:16PM

I know of 3 hardcore TBM families whose kids "went off the deep end" as soon as they were free of their parents. So I call bullshiz on that one.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 24, 2011 01:38AM

I guess that would shoot down their assinine ideas.

Posted by: andyb ( )
Date: September 25, 2011 02:11PM

never raised my kids in the church...my son is a hard working tradesman building gas plants in the north and he's a wonderful husband and father to his family....my daughter is handicapped and we are able to provide a home with staffing for her....some members have wondered why she isn't living with us??...they just don't fucking get it....

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: September 25, 2011 02:55PM

Actually, in my extended family the opposite is true.

The exmos kids have grown up to be responsible adults, and the active mo's continue to have a plethora of irresponsible kids who grow up to repeat the cycle.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.