Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: September 25, 2011 04:04PM

I understand that a stake general PH meeting for all PH holders including young men has been scheduled for a Sunday morning in October before church.

This is a little unusual since they normally run these on a mid-week evening. I had to do a double take however when I noted that the time is set for a 7.15 AM start!!!? And this is a stake where a few of the wards are 30-45 minutes away from the stake centre. WTF?

I hope that even the majority of TBMs see sense and boycott this rediculous meeting at a ludicrous time in the morning. The church has seriously lost all sense of normality and boundaries.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: September 25, 2011 04:15PM

Let's see 45 minutes away means you leave at 6:30. That means you probably have to get up by 5-5:30 to get everyone ready, fed, and out the door. Doesn't everyone get up at 5 a.m. seven days a week? Stupid Cult.

Posted by: silverlightx ( )
Date: September 25, 2011 04:16PM

We always had them on Sunday evenings, and the ridiculously-early-morning block is taken up by stake and ward leadership meetings, so I'd guess there's a clerical error, and it should actually be 7:15 PM. I think early-morning stake general priesthood meetings would get about 2% attendance on a good day.

EDIT: Or not! (Thanks, Willie Martin.) I can't believe that any stake would do that routinely. Do they just not care?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2011 04:20PM by Anonymous.

Date: September 25, 2011 04:32PM

On 1st read of the email I also thought it must be an error - but then the next line was the clincher...."finishing at 8.30am so that everyone has time to get back to their units for church that day".

Posted by: Willie Martin ( )
Date: September 25, 2011 04:19PM

We used to have them early Sunday morning like that. I attended a few. For the life of me I can't remember anything about them other than it was hard to stay awake.

But usually, I would just conveniently forget about the early morning PH meeting.

I can't believe I ever put up with that nonsense.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: September 25, 2011 04:26PM

Hey, can't run a business without meetings.

Date: September 25, 2011 04:37PM

True Baura - sadly the stake presidency are experienced business leaders and the whole stake is run very much in that manner. Spreadsheets, powerpoint presentations to share vision and strategy, numbers, targets.... we don't even talk about callings any more, it's just 'staffing'. I've sat in church meetings thinking this is exactly the same as my Mon-Fri work meetings.

SusieQ#1 - this isn't a SLC broadcast but is the stake presidency speaking and a couple of other unfortunate PH holders who answered the phone to the stake exec secretary.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: September 25, 2011 04:38PM

sherlock Wrote:

>
> SusieQ#1 - this isn't a SLC broadcast but is the
> stake presidency speaking and a couple of other
> unfortunate PH holders who answered the phone to
> the stake exec secretary.

OOPS... I missed that ... but they really need to be more respectful of people's time. Very odd time for meetings.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 06:23PM

The LDS church is conducted like a business. Tons of meetings, presentations, goals, etc. You would think that all concerned would want a break from it.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: September 25, 2011 04:27PM

This is a bit weird. The time schedule seems to be totally unnecessary. These meetings are broadcast from SLC and can be shown at anytime.
Oh well, the usual 10% will show up, no matter what. They run their lives around what the "tribe" demands and expects of them, including penciling in their schedule in their Franklin Planners!:-)

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: September 25, 2011 04:36PM

We got up that early five days a week, for early morning seminary in high school, in California. It is unhealthy for growing teens to be sleep deprived, and at the same time pressured to get good enough grades to qualify for a good university. And what about other interests, and a social life?

The Mormon cult often uses sleep deprivation to exert power over its victims. Also, a sleepy, bored brain is more susceptible to brainwashing.

Remember all night testimony marathons and pre-dawn hikes at pioneer trek, YM/YW camp, EFY, youth conferences, etc? Your priesthood meeting is just the adult version.

Posted by: elderborracho ( )
Date: September 25, 2011 05:03PM

Seminary killed me! I don't know how many times I fell asleep at school. Plus, having to do scouts, church basketball and then all of the meetings and joint activities and crap. I'm surprised I made it. No wonder I love to kick back, drink and relax now!

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: September 25, 2011 06:55PM

My stake used to try to have these stake genral PH meetings ON SUPER BOWL DAY in the late afternoon! Now it's on a different Sunday. Maybe somebody raise a stank.

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 11:08AM

It's all about seeing/ proving how obedient the sheeple are. The more obedient, the more the leaders know they can ask them to do even dumber things. The sheeple just think they are showing god how obedient they are. Little do they know...!

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 11:15AM

Have you tried responding to the e mail with a couple of questions?

1. Please can you tell me the key objective and agenda for the meeting?
2. Please can you tell me where the main points will be posted/communicated for those members that cannot attend the meeting through sickness etc?

You will find that they won't answer number 1.
And they haven't thought about number 2.

Posted by: FreeRose ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 11:20AM

It wouldn't be so bad if you knew there was COFFEE and doughnuts waiting for you. LOL

Posted by: Quebec ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 12:35PM

Actually a quote from "Sherlock Holmes" (G.Ritchie), once I got the movie in DVD, was one of the things that made me want to accept my doubts about "gospel" and "church" and started to look into it.
"..Agreed. But, it is a huge mistake to theorize before one has data. Inevitably, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts..."

Posted by: silverlightx ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 04:08PM

Very much in the spirit of the Sherlock Holmes character, and possibly a direct quote. Just make sure you don't think too much about the nonsense that Arthur Conan Doyle believed in. ;-)

Posted by: Quebec ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 04:29PM

Man! And I wanted to build a church on him and his stories. Gee thanks now I'll have to find new ideas...
To tell the truth I have no idea what he believed in. ;-)

Posted by: nonmo ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 12:41PM

sherlock Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I understand that a stake general PH meeting for
> all PH holders including young men has been
> scheduled for a Sunday morning in October before
> church.
>
> This is a little unusual since they normally run
> these on a mid-week evening. I had to do a double
> take however when I noted that the time is set for
> a 7.15 AM start!!!? And this is a stake where a
> few of the wards are 30-45 minutes away from the
> stake centre. WTF?
>
> I hope that even the majority of TBMs see sense
> and boycott this rediculous meeting at a ludicrous
> time in the morning. The church has seriously lost
> all sense of normality and boundaries.

Regarding mormon church, meetings, YWs/YMs, seminary, Primary, etc...I found the below on dictionary.com to be most fitting for the mormons:

PEDANTIC:
pe·dan·tic   /pəˈdæntɪk/ Show Spelled[puh-dan-tik] Show IPA
adjective
1. ostentatious in one's learning.
2. overly concerned with minute details or formalisms, especially in teaching.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 03:54PM

Which is why I like to say, "Pedantry is its own reward."

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 04:12PM

which Time Zone to you live in?
maybe ChurchCo wants the message to be received by all

AT THE SAME TIME!

Date: September 27, 2011 06:54PM

GMT - hence the Sherlock H connection. Let's just say that I enjoy investigating the truth.

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 04:26PM

Or it's just another mind control thing - sleep deprivation.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.