Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 03:23AM

"It is not clear why it might have this effect, but the authors [of the study] believe caffeine in coffee may alter the brain's chemistry. Decaffeinated coffee did not have the same effect.
"Compared with women who drank one cup of caffeinated coffee or less per week, those who consumed two to three cups per day had a 15% decreased risk of developing depression.

"Those who drank four or more cups a day cut their risk by 20%."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-15059266

These facts are especially interesting since Utah has been ranked as the state with the highest depression rate in the U.S.:

"Utah is the most depressed state in the country, according to a nationwide study released Wednesday.

"The first-of-its kind examination of the 'level' of depression and actual outcomes for those seeking help to
treat it, ranks Utah 51st — last in the nation."

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/695231614/Utah-leads-the-nation-in-rates-of-depression.html?pg=1

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Gorspel Dacktrin ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 04:47AM

I put Mormonism behind me and started drinking coffee.

As a suggestion, the Word of Wisdom isn't too bad. Moderation in most things is a good idea. But in typical control-freak, Pharisee fashion, the LDS Church leaders took everything too far and created a fanatical prohibition policy out of the Book of Mormon. It's almost a mistake to even refer to current Church policy as the Word of Wisdom. The actual Word of Wisdom, as stated in the D&C contains a lot of content that is completely ignored by the modern church.

Now it's been reduced to an absolute prohibition against:

(1) Alcohol
(2) Coffee and Tea
(3) Tobbaco
(4) Illicit Drugs (Licit drugs are fine, no matter how much you abuse them.)

The leaders operate from the perspective that their followers are too stupid to know how to do anything in moderation, so they have to be given an easy to understand absolute prohibition on a limited number of substances. I guess the leaders have a sort of logic. Any group of people stupid enough to believe that the "General Authorities" really have special powers and authority from God must be too stupid to know how to run their own lives. It makes sense. The TBMs who can't imagine living life as exmos or nonmos are basically people who ARE looking for leaders to tell them how to live their lives. The General Authorities are happy to take on that role.

Posted by: Tew-Point-0 ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 12:31PM

I don't think the leaders are responsible for the way Mormons interpret the WOW. I think Mormonism naturally adapted to create stronger group solidarity and cohesion. This version of the WOW is simply a product of a group's evolution.

Posted by: silverlightx ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 02:47PM

EDIT: Sorry for the reflex response, I can see that I'm not actually responding to your statement.

Wikipedia claims that Smith made it a commandment (but also broke it routinely) and that Young emphasized it (with many routine breakages by the leadership) and that it was made a temple requirement about 1910 (mostly to keep habitual drunkards out of the temple).

The current lesson plans given by the church heavily emphasize the alcohol, tobacco, coffee, and tea aspects; illegal drugs are (in my experience) mentioned less frequently; the meat-consumption aspect is usually glossed over.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2011 02:55PM by silverlightx.

Date: September 27, 2011 02:59PM

EDIT: Double post. Ugh.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2011 03:00PM by silverlightx.

Date: September 27, 2011 08:11PM

that turned it into a formal prohibition of coffee, tea, alcohol and tobbaco. It definitely was a policy instituted by the leaders and Heber J. Grant was one of the main driving forces behind it. He was a fanatical supporter of the alcohol prohibition laws in the U.S. at the same time.

Before that it was more of a "good thing to do" type of thing--like reading your scriptures daily.

Date: September 27, 2011 08:13PM

the most responsible for turning it into an absolute prohibition.

Posted by: Tabula Rasa ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 08:55AM

"...the Kansas State University indicates that people should try and reduce the overall consumption of coffee, because coffee only gives people a temporary kick, and what follows is to the contrary. It clearly suggests that caffeine in coffee has the ability to increase the release of insulin into the blood. And as most of us are aware, insulin reduces blood sugar levels, which makes people experience low energy levels, and feelings of depression might then set in."

http://www.all-on-depression-help.com/coffee-and-depression.html

For every study that shows benefits of coffee consumption, I can find three that show risks... and this is how TBMs approach the topic.

Just sayin'...

Ron

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 03:45PM

From my own experience, coffee REDUCES depression!
Coffee is, in fact, SO important, that a woman in Saudi Arabia can get a divorce from her husband if he will not give her coffee!

Posted by: Quebec ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 05:20PM

Posted by: Quebec ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 05:25PM

But wasn't there a temperance movement or society even before js got the "revelation"? meaning it was not hard for him to come up w/the idea

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 08:22PM

It does not conclude that depression actually does follow, only that it MAY.

A good diet should overcome any insulin issues.

Posted by: Willie Martin ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 09:12AM

All I know is that coffee makes me happy. And Mormonism made me unhappy.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 09:35AM

+1

I liked this because it sums Mormonism up.

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 02:01PM

"Moderation in all things" - about the only useful thing the Mormon church has ever taught... so they ignore their own teaching in favour of full prohibition!

As with beer and wine, there are certain health benefits that appear to be associated with modest consumption, but these are more than outweighed by the health risks associated with excess consumption. If you are too stupid to moderate your consumption, you'd be better off not drinking coffee or alcohol than risking abuse.

Personally, I remain skeptical about the health benefits that are derived directly from the products, and consider the possibility that the health benefits are a result of living a happier, more social life. Those who drink a glass of red wine in the evening, for example, are more likely to be happier and with a more active social life that those who are tee-total. Similar effects may be present in the coffee study. What if the coffee drinkers were more social, and more likely to be employed in well paid jobs?

Date: September 27, 2011 08:07PM

But, whatever they say about moderation, Mormonism is largely an "all or nothing" religion. I think one of the reasons for their absolute prohibition of certain substances is the morbid/unreasonable fear that the tiniest taste of these things will inevitably lead to a life of addiction and ruin.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 02:44PM

Ya, I read that and posted it on my FB. The problem for me, is I can't begin to get down four or more cups of coffee a day. I'm presuming that's 4 6oz cups.. or 24 oz. I can handle half that. But I don't get depressed anyhow. I make one mug for the day and that's all I can drink -- It keeps me awake when I drink it in the evening.

Date: September 27, 2011 03:00PM

Coffee has had a very un-depressing effect on me. That's because it's an outward sign that I no longer believe in things that are demonstrably wrong. I'm not sure it actually has an effect on me but drinking a cup every day is like having liquid freedom.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2011 03:00PM by silverlightx.

Date: September 28, 2011 01:28AM

I think that the psychological aspects of freeing oneself from a cult like Mormonism can be every bit as important as the chemical effects of any particular substance!

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 03:09PM

I found that to be true, as the only time I had depression was when I was in the Morg, especially since I tried giving up coffee and tea, but there were times when I drank a cup when I knew my TBM ex-husband wouldn't catch me.

Once I left my ex and TSCC, I picked up on my coffee habit where I left off, and the depression went away. I haven't needed an antidepressant in 8 years because coffee and exercise are enough for me.

Posted by: testiphony cant login ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 05:03PM

I can imagine the thinking at the time around 1910 or so, when LDS Inc. was losing its geographical isolation (control) due to the booming American economy and the Gentiles becoming a presence in Zion.

Mormon leader: "We have to find a way to keep the flock from being mixed with the Gentiles. People tend to become friends in social settings that include alcohol. Forbid alcohol, and the sheep won't go to social places except with other sheep. Simple."

Plus, as it is today, I'm sure it had something to do with gaining favor with other political conservatives during the time leading up to prohibition. Now it's things like fighting equal marriage rights to gain their favor.

Posted by: introvertedme ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 09:44PM

Darn. I finally tried coffee, repeatedly - if I put enough Stevia and flavoring in it I could drink it, though I didn't love it. It was oddly addicting to have that warm, wake-up drink in the morning and I wanted to continue, but it started to make me sick. Really upset my system and all - I wish I knew how to manage or get past that. I've heard coffee has many benefits and I so wish I could get used to it!

Date: September 27, 2011 10:15PM

I think that might have been part of my problem. I didn't know to eat something and I got seriously sick a couple of times. Rookie mistake, I guess. :)

Date: September 27, 2011 10:25PM

and mindlessly drink a strong cup of coffee on an empty stomach and regret it later. Nothing too serious, but a bit of an upset feeling in the stomach.

The best way to enjoy it is to drink it slowly along with eating something like a bagel, toast or something like that. I've never had any problems when I do it that way.

Date: September 27, 2011 10:53PM

Thanks for the advice - maybe I'll give it another go. :) Love your posts, BTW - I look forward to them.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.