Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: September 26, 2011 08:22PM

When I was out today, there was an interview on NPR (I never heard the name of the show) with Janet Reitman, author of the newly released book, INSIDE SCIENTOLOGY: The Story of America's Most Secretive Religion (a follow-up to her evidently notable earlier article in ROLLING STONE).

During the interview, there were continual references to Mormonism ("[The present head of Scientology] is the Brigham Young of Scientology," etc.), comparing the two, using different aspects of each organization, as if they were directly correlative examples of each other.

At one point, Reitman said with great authority that "Mormonism is the world's fastest growing religion" (a direct quote), and that Scientology [in this, and in many other ways] very consciously aspires to be what Mormonism has been and is now.

Although I only heard about three minutes of this interview, there were several references to Mormonism during this short period of time, which I found odd.

My guess would be that Islam is the "world's fastest growing religion," but this is a guess on my part based on pretty much nothing.

Does anyone here know the facts, and is Janet Reitman correct?

IS Mormonism "the world's fastest growing religion"?

And has anyone before ever thought of Scientology as a Mormon wannabe?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2011 08:26PM by tevai.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: hello ( )
Date: September 26, 2011 10:06PM

She's dead wrong.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: September 26, 2011 11:24PM

Not by a long shot.

See my article on this topic at http://packham.n4m.org/growth.htm where I compare relative statistics on the growth of various religions.

This phrase was coined by the church's PR department and was included in all its press releases until just a few years ago. But it is still quoted. Journalists quoting other journalists quoting their press releases from the church.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 01:53AM

Those are most impressive facts and numbers, and new to me since I had never read this article before.

Excellent in every way.

Thank you!

Posted by: catholiclady ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 02:18AM

mormon is not even up there at all. especially since they are banned in like half the world. they just say that and expect the mormons not to look it up. believe without facts. isnt that the way they do everything?

Posted by: Peace ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 03:59AM

She's right about one thing .... Scientology greatly aspires to be like Mormonism. There are several things they've copied from the Church, including Ad campaigns, VAULTS and excommunications. The excommunications are such a joke!

Scientology is nothing but a greedy, power-hungry, business of developing the capability of spiritual evil.

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 04:20AM

why MORmONS should be grateful for scientology

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk5jj7o3a40

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.