Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: blacksheep ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 11:46PM

I haven't ever heard of anyone trying it, and in this day and age everyone sues everyone about everything.
Pain and suffering?
Deception?
It seems like there would be a good reason or something that would stick somewhere.
Is it because we don't feel like going through it? Or because of our families? I'm just wondering. It seems like somewhere down the line one of us would have tried this. I get so upset about it sometimes...........I think about doing normally out of character things... I'm sure some of you have thought of this too?
There's a church about a block away from me and I think terrible things about what I could do with some paint or a carton of eggs.... I don't, you know, but I do think those things.
Or has someone tried something legal and I just don't know about it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: September 27, 2011 11:47PM

I can imagine our first witness:

"These mothers promised me blessings in return for my tithing, and all I got was 6 kids and bankrupt!"

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 01:48AM

No one forced you to join and it would be next to impossible to prove that you were willfully deceived. The people who taught you about the church most likely believed. Joseph Smith is dead and cannot be sued. Who would you sue?

Posted by: darth jesus ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 02:01AM

blacksheep - http://packham.n4m.org/lawsuit.htm

or add your name to this group: http://mormonlawsuit.com/

hope that helps. i want my tithing money back. that's all i want.

Date: September 28, 2011 01:49PM

great links. Thanks.

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 02:22AM

This question has been asked repeatedly. Religions are exempt from most of the laws that protect customers from fraudulant business practices.

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 02:48AM

Date: September 28, 2011 01:49PM

lol

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 07:13AM

Televangelist Jim Bakker put together a Christian theme park and a hotel. He sold shares in the hotel--more shares than there was hotel. He ended up going to prison over it.

His problem was he promised his investors actual physical access to the hotel which he was not able to deliver. Had he offered them mansions in heaven he would never have been indicted.

The Mormons' promise of unspecified "blessings" from God predicated upon your "worthiness" would make suing them for anything real very difficult.

Posted by: Matt nli ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 07:22AM

Yep. In general terms, it is sue proof.

Posted by: alex71ut ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 07:39AM

I do know that when Thomas S. Monson (he was 1C to the Hinckster at the time) has a bad habit of threatening excommunication to church leaders who don't obey orders to try to prevent people from reporting crimes. In one case a person ended up going to jail because a former mid-level church lay leader didn't obey an ecclesiastical order from Monson. Its probable that this former mid-level church lay leader I know quite well isn't super TBM anymore. If I was Monson's Bishop right now I'd have him disfellowshipped for doing this. At the very least he should be investigated for being an accessory to committing a crime (i.e. failure to report). However Monson gets away scot-free and I'm left wondering if there are other facts out there of Monson directly trying to get people to break laws and then trying to get them excommunicated if they don't go along with his crime-committing games :(

Posted by: King Benjamin ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 11:36AM

In the current ceremony attendees get a scary lecture from Satan himself.

But before my time, didn't the ceremony imply that if you didn't give EVERYTHING to the Church, you would be willing to suffer a horrible death?

I'd say that's a physical threat of violence. As you lawyers can tell...I'm NOT a lawyer.

For you lawyers, would that be a possibility for some of the people who attended the temple pre-91?

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 01:53PM

What for? What law have they broken that has left a member with damages?
If that can be proven, they sue.
But I doubt it.
I'd like to sue over telling children they are "dirty and filthy" if they masturbate or have night emissions though...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.