Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anon for this comment ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 09:20PM

I had a very good day today. Got out my burqa. laid it out on the living room floor (in all its green and white glory), then cut it into little pieces. all of a sudden i can breathe better!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 09:30PM

Date: September 28, 2011 01:31AM

still have the bakers edition if your interested. lol

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 11:19PM

Were you Mormon before Muslim? Or vice versa?

Just curious. Always here to support a good woman claiming her own life back no matter who is trying to own her.

Anagrammy

Date: September 27, 2011 11:58PM

bic. just looked and felt like i was associated with the taliban! literally got claustrophoic when that veil was over my face. last time i wore it, i looked around and felt disgusted and alarmed that women weren't allowed to show their faces during temple prayer. Good news is my husband has also had it with dressing up like a baker:) We are almost 60. so its never too late!

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 12:10AM

Wow!!! good for you! How did it happen?

Date: September 28, 2011 01:23AM

we have been married for 21 years. both always had temple recommends but weren't sealed because we both had kids from previous marriages. we waited until all of the kids were okay with it. We talked to the bishop, no problem. Went to the sp. He wouldn't okay it. apparently he decided that we were keeping some big secret from him. He told us we had to write down every sin we've committed in the last 30 years! we were stunned. i wrote to SLC to complain. They told him to ok it. He still wouldn't! this little 3 way went on for several months. Neither one of us had done anything that we felt like we needed to go thru the repentance process for and refused to write down anything (they keep all that for 101 years ya know). The last time we talked to him he told us we needed to ACT more humble, then asked us if we supported our leaders. we never answered him.I will never support anyone who treats me badly. i don't care who it is. I told him i didn't need to act about anything, or write a long boring book about a bunch of stupid trivial sins. Then reminded him about the atonement, and sacrament. Told him i thought he was asking me to deny Christ and act like none of that mattered. We haven't been back since. I came home and googled how to stay mormon. listened to john dehlin, and was shocked to find out all of the "issues". Studied those for about two months. I would have left long ago if i would have known. i was one of the obedient ones. never read anything not recommended. in fact was trying to figure out how to stay "in" when i learned the truth. in the end, i am so glad the sp is such a jerk. they will miss our$$$ but not us. we haven't had a phone call, note, or visit from ANYONE since we left almost a year ago. i think sp wants to keep this one quiet. We have obviously been put on the shun list. Sorry this was so long. it did feel good to vent though. We are getting together with 2 of our 3 kids at Christmas to sign our getting out letter together. child 3 will take some time.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 05:16AM

Thank you for your posts Beachbaby. I enjoyed your getting-out story.

Some Mormons seem to be very prejudiced against divorced people. I was "one of the obedient ones," too, and led a squeaky-clean life. But, my bishops always thought I was hiding something, too, because I didn't fit their stereotype. Since I had to be the sole support for my children, I had to have a better-than-average career, and I think they misinterpreted my independence as being a women's libber.

Isn't it a relief to know that these men have absolutely no authority! They can't intimidate us anymore, though it will probably always hurt me to be shunned by neighbors who used to be friends, who I played the piano for, brought casseroles to, who's children I taught in Sunday school. You and your husband are lucky to have each other for support! Congratulations on keeping your marriage together through all of this.

Date: September 28, 2011 12:39PM

Thanks for the encouragement. I think you hit the nail on the head.
I had to go to school when i was almost 40 so i could have a well paying career to support my two kids. i was so confused at the lack of support and encouragement from church. On the other hand they didn't want to support us. Find a husband was the not so subtle implication!
well, i accidently did. Ooops nonmember. shun shun. oops he joined. we were the golden family for a short time. my husband has a quick wit. likes to joke about things people take too serious. that went over like a rock. shun shun. we hung in there.couldn't find any friends that liked to have fun.kids in the ward love us. we were the fun people! sp didn't like that one bit. he is suspicious of anyone that looks happy.

We are lucky. our best friends aren't lds. we just moved into a gated community with no lds neighbors. my sister is tbm on the outside nom on the inside. she's a little envious. My two children are leaving with me. those are all the friends and family i care about. i am so fortunate in that regard. i am an artist, and have many friends in that world to be hang with. Really about the only thing that has changed is we have more time and money,less guilt. pretty good all around. love this board tho. so nice to be validated, and have a place to go be with people who totally get it!

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 12:47PM

Good for you beachbaby.....get on with a fun life. Enjoy the freedom and compliments and support from real friends now.

Smile laugh and play when you have the opportunity those memories will help the challenges in life to be a bit easier to get through.

Posted by: exmodaddy ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 01:06PM

I keep thinking that I should throw my baker outfit away, but my little boy is still in the cult, and I want to be able to show him how ridiculous the costume is in the future.

I hold out hope that my dear wife will leave the cult, but I'm still hedging my bets to make sure my children don't get sucked in for life.

Date: September 28, 2011 01:57PM

My two- twenty something kids are leaving with me and hubby. There is always hope. I have thought about writing a childrens book about the baker and the ghost, and who is really underneath those funny outfits and why (why??). I seriously think it could b helpful to young kids who are trying to make sense of the insanity.

Humor goes a long way.God must think we are hilarious putting on those outfits in an attempt to be like him. wow! any young child can point out how silly those outfits are. My dog ran and hid in the laundry room when i put it on for her.hahaha. She kept barking at the bag it was in. i'm sure she thought it was posessed! so funny.

The church is doing all they can to help you. They are boring, intimidating,invasive, controlling,judgemental,with no fashion taste. Teach your children to be none of those, they will see the light very early on.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 02:04PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.