Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nowI'mfound ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 12:48AM

The ward I'm currently faking it in has begun a huge promotion for mormon.org. They even had a two-hour meeting devoted to making a profile. Please. Oh, and you're supposed to report to the ward mission leader when your profile is done. No thanks. Ain't happening (making a profile OR reporting). This campaign is completely ridiculous. It's supposed to be making Mormons seem more normal and accessible. Yeah right. Check out the two done by our two bishop's counselors. Do either of these seem normal or accessible? "Holy writ" "attendant teachings" someone is trying a little too hard to sound like a GA...

And the other guy who claims his childhood was an idyllic blend of Huck Finn and Where the Red Fern Grows...really? Who the hell are these people? Certainly not anyone I'd like to know and definitely NOT normal...

Check them out. They're laughable:

http://mormon.org/me/57CT/

http://mormon.org/me/1R1Q/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 12:52AM

"I have 6 children, 5 sons, 4 cars, 3 degrees, 2 homes, and only 1 lovely wife and I'm a mormon."

And a wanker!

Date: October 01, 2011 12:56AM

Yeah that was one of my faves. So full of himself

Posted by: Friend of a Mo ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 01:00AM

spaghetti oh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "I have 6 children, 5 sons, 4 cars, 3 degrees, 2
> homes, and only 1 lovely wife and I'm a mormon."

I'm presuming the 6th child is a daughter, but apparently
she isn't worth mentioning.

What a tool.

Posted by: tiptoes ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 01:18AM

The leaving out the girl immediately caught my attention! Asshole in my book.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 11:35AM

Leaving out children who are "not a asset" is a favorite Mormon male strategy. My ex told my kids they were no longer assets in his search for a new mate after our divorce.

He leaves out his adopted children (my children from former marriage) on his Facebook page because he was faking caring out them.

If these profiles were honest, they would say,

"Mormons fake their "love" until you are no longer an asset. Should you become old, disabled or disgrunted, you will be discarded like trash. If you dare speak out against them, they will publicly humiliate you. I'm old, abandoned, shunned, blamed for not bringing in members, regularly grilled about my sexual habits and forced to make this ad about my car, my house, my muscles, my job. These aren't the fruits of faith Jesus was talking about, but they accurately represent the values of Mormons."

Anagrammy

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 01:23PM

The REAL life inside Mormonism. It will be like the Duggars show, only controlled by the church.

Also, I want to remind people that the Church made people sign over the rights to their profiles, including CONTENT. So they could change and edit, manipulate, whatever. They do not want people to be found and contrasted with their profile online.

I called this a disaster from Day One, leading to the tipping point in 2012, when Mormonism becomes the home for idiots and technophobes, like Scientology.

Isn't it baffling that they don't see how badly these ads worked for Scientology?

Anagrammy

Posted by: Scooter ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 11:44AM

Jeff has six children and five sons and is a total dick.

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 12:56AM

Feh.

Posted by: Kiribati ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 01:59AM

The only blacks that will join a racist organization like the LDS church are folks who know little or nithing about its racist history....or who are just in denial.

Or maybe don't believe the racist history.

or...I guess maybe just plain stupid.

Posted by: luckychucky ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 01:19AM

On my mission I knew a black guy who knew and believed the churchs racist history. He had joined the RLDS and soon after claimed god called him to join the morg. Really nice guy actually, he was one of the easier ward mission leaders to work with. I also baptized a black guy who I told about the racist polocies of the morg. He didn't feel bothered and joined anyhow. You never know what really motivates people to believe. I stoped trying to guess after a while.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 02:13AM

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 02:16AM

This is going to go down as an even bigger epic fail than the Reader's Digest inserts in the 80s. What are these idiots thinking.

Posted by: skeptifem ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 10:02AM

It seems like most of the non-white members are converts or live outside the morridor.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 10:27AM

The upper right shows a box of 12 others you can click on, and the bottom shows answers to questions from two people. I clicked around on at least 50 different profiles in the upper right, and still all that shows up there are another 12 all-white members you can click on.

The testimonies are all the same in almost the same words, which will only convince people the Morg IS a CULT. Men full of themselves. Women all SAHM. Nothing wrong with that if that's what they want. The ONLY women who listed jobs were teachers or secretaries, apparently the only job women (or at least Morg wimmen) are capable of doing in their spare time when not cooking, cleaning, sewing, and being pregnant.

Not one male with a beard or hair even touching their ears (much less long hair). Only one with a very faint Hitler mustache. Just clicking through SCREAMS "we're a CULT stuck in the 1950s."

Posted by: skeptifem ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 10:37AM

the side bar lets you search for members based on age, sex, and race.

Date: October 01, 2011 10:04AM

You think this is bad, you should meet this moron in real life. He thinks he has the most amazing stories--which he always breaks into tears for (presumably because he's SOOO filled with the spirit). He will hijack ANY meeting with a long winded self-promoting story...I don't know how his wife can stand him.

I cannot believe THESE were the two examples that were emailed to everyone to show us how our profiles should be. Um, Jeff & Jeff, you COMPLETELY missed the boat.

I also love how on mormon.org, no one puts their full name or true location. So if this is a tool to help people find mor(m)ons in their community, how is THAT supposed to work? Seems to me that people aren't as proud of their mormonism as they claim to be. Otherwise they wouldn't be so damn ambiguous. And the answers to doctrinal questions at the bottom are an even bigger joke.

Especially the answer to "are Mormons anti-gay"

Assholes...

Posted by: cheri ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 10:24AM

Sorry if this has been addressed earlier, but what reason are they giving to members for these profiles?

Are they really admitting this is part of a PR campaign or trying to imply otherwise?

Date: October 01, 2011 11:11AM

Cheri,

From what I've been told, this is the beginning of a widespread campaign that will formally launch sometime in October. It was implied that this was supposed to bring positive attention to the church and it's members. Originally, we were told that it was supposed to help nonmembers find mormons in their area, but it doesn't really seem like that is the case. Too many people don't put their full name and don't list an area. I've also heard that it's just a campaign to make mormons seem more like everyone else (um, what happened to being a "peculiar people"?), but THAT doesn't seem to be happening either. I don't know if mormon.org is dispelling any myths. If anything, I think it's adding to them.

Posted by: anon for this comment ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 10:53AM

Hey! Where did the lamanites go? They were calling them american indians. hmmm. That whole DNA thing has sure caused some problems. They now have to call people what they want to be called not some made up fairy tale name. I love how the first guy made a point of saying he was a devout christian. i have never heard a mo say that before....seems like a whole new language is being taught these days. baby steps

Posted by: oddcouplet ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 09:04PM

I've also never heard a devout Christian call himself a devout Christian.

Posted by: anon for this comment ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 11:07AM

I clicked on gender and picked women. the first pic that popped up was a beautiful girl. the caption reads:

Hi, I'm Bi

it took me a second to realize thats her name not her preference!

Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 11:51AM

;)

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 12:00PM

I used the search tool to see if my convert DD and her husband had created a profile...NOT THERE! It either isn't being promoted in their area (SoCal) or they aren't buying into it. Either way.. a good thing.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 12:03PM

Mormondumbs Next Top General Authority.

Jeebus sanctioned Morgbot Bragging, just what those asshole need! This is going to backfire BIG TIME. The profiles come off as smarmy, puffed-up, insincere, holier-than-thou, and absurd. You'd have to be a TOTAL douche-bag to not be completely turned-off by this kind of bullshit.

Posted by: no way jose ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 08:48PM

I checked it out. Found some friends and family.
After zipping through several pages of profiles of Hi, I'm so-and-so, all I could think as they all rolled past is:
Hi! I'm embarrassed for you. Now the whole world knows you are a moron.
As a TBM, I would have NEVER done that. I don't care what guilt trip they tried to lay on me.

Date: October 01, 2011 09:16PM

Yep, I'm embarrassed for them too. They aren't doing themselves any favors. And, I'm sorry, but reporting to the ward mission leader when your done making your profile so that...what? he can mark you off the list? Right down the code for your profile? Point other people in the direction of your profile? Use it as a barometer of your spirituality or lack thereof? Just seems a little controlling to me.

Posted by: oddcouplet ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 09:02PM

... about how all of this (excuse the expression) came to pass.

The PR account manager asks the creative team, "What can we sell the client?"

The creative team tells the account manager, "Gee, the last time we schmoozed the client, they said that people just need to get to know them better. They're like every other one of our clients: They have big egos, and they think their customers are idiots and need to be 'educated.' They can't imagine that the customers might just not want their product."

The PR account manager tells the GAs, "You know, I agree with you completely. If everyone knew how awesome you are, they're bound to want your product. Why don't you pay me a lot of money, and I'll help you make your employees set up internet profiles?"

Posted by: Nameless ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 12:34AM

There are some "special" people on there too that make Mormonism look really bad...as if they need help with that. Take a look at this one: http://mormon.org/me/5G3D/

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 01:05AM

It's like trying to read something written by a first grader.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.