Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 02:26PM

The most flimsy evidence there is would be that an "expert" said it when experts regularly take opposing points of view on most topics.

Many posters demand "evidence" when someone here voices an opinion or shares an experience. "Evidence" often means quoting some pro or pundit, or providing a link or written reference of some kind. None of that means much in and of itself. What matters is a clear and sensible rationale and credible observable evidence.

Remember that finding something in print doesn't make it real or true.

Sometimes we have to trust experts, but if the stakes are high, it's usually a good idea to compare more than one opinion. We can check on a professional's experience, their training, and their ethical track records.

We were all trained to believe in priesthood leaders and by extension in other authority figures. Corruption and/or ineptitude is very possible at every level of society, top to bottom.

The other day at the doctor's office I read an article by someone who writes term papers, masters and PHD theses for lazy and incompetent students. I know rich parents who don't mind buying their kids' way through college and helping kids aquire unearned credentials.

There are others who claim to be experts who live in ivory towerland and don't have good common sense or real life experience to draw accurate conclusions.

My brother has made it his hobby to check into scam organizations which churn out fradulent diplomas and degrees. Sad to say, there are people in prestigious positions who are totally unqualified.

My DH once had to fire an incompetent senior accountant because she knew next to nothing about accounting principles and practices. Turns out her degree was in horticulture and she had lied her way into the job before DH became her boss. This is only one example. He has others just as egregious.

I once worked with a "teacher" who knew nothing about education and was eventually fired for faking his credentials and qualifications.

My advice is to trust your own judgments and perceptions over supposed experts. Dig a little before you accept expert advice and especially before you hire employees, vote, or join a church.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 02:35PM

The most valuable thing that I took away from my undergraduate college education was to never take anything that a so-called "expert" states as gospel. I was taught to question, check, research, get a second opinion if necessary, and otherwise do what it takes to find the truth. Just because it's in print, or an "authority" states that something is true, doesn't make it so.

Date: October 01, 2011 04:54PM

The old codgers dronning on and on are not authorities with wisdom as much as they're marketing men and scammers.

Posted by: Norris Fishbein ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 11:02PM

It's really about credentials. Each side rents an expert who has the minimum credentials required to be an "expert." The experts then do what they are paid to do. In the process of seeking to impress the jury with big words and a list of their impressive expert credentials, the experts cancel each other out because they're paid to give pre-determined conclusions.

TV too is always encouraging people to give up their own powers of judgment and defer to the assessments of "experts."

Date: October 02, 2011 05:54PM

That's why it doesn't make sense to me when someone comes on RfM and states the one and only true legal opinion of a situation.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 12:54AM

Cheryl = WIN!

great post...

Posted by: SoCalNevermo ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 12:55AM

I used to work with a young man who would often say something like "it's a scientific fact" or something similar. What he meant was that a friend of his who claimed to be some sort of scientist said it, that made it so without doubt. This friend had some strange ideas that were not backed up by any science I am aware of.

Posted by: Just Browsing ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 01:39AM

"An *EX* is a has been -and a *Spurt* is a drip under pressure"

JB

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 01:47AM

Don't accept ANYTHING at face value or just because your "BFF's sister who's husband is an expert in that field say so."

Always do your own research! And don't be afraid to speak up if someone is blatantly spreading misinformation!!!!!

IMNSHO, this is especially important regarding sexual health, food safety/hygiene, and other "fun" urbanlegends.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 08:20AM

Now that I'm looking at TSCC weith a very critical eye, I'm finding more and more inconsistencies like BKP really minimizing the Second Coming while D. Todd Christopherrockerson saying it is going to happen. I am so glad my mom taught me to use my upper brain. :-)

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 09:20AM

Cheryl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The most flimsy evidence there is would be that an
> "expert" said it when experts regularly take
> opposing points of view on most topics.

The most flimsy evidence there is....

would be that a MORmON *expert* said it!

especially when most real experts disagree with them!

and unfortunately for MORmONS this is the *bedrock* that their sick twisted cult of MORmONISM is built on.

(early scientists were experts in their field, as their claims were universally repeatable & demonstratable their claims became scientific law and blesses us with things like the computer messaging that we are now communicating with. Experts served us very well in such instances.

there is little doubt you are an expert on something, like your children's names & b days)

MORmONS refuse to tell the truth about the most painfully

obvious things,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ1uIgbI2QY

and then they expect other ppl to believe them
because MORmONS love to treat everyone like MORmONS.
Prevailing MORmON sentiment is: dont you want to be a MORmON too!

and when a person doesnt, its irking.

You are right to be annoyed by yet another MORmON rape of common custom & convention, general sensibility, & the language that you need to rely on for the sake of building their MORmON kingDUMB.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.