Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 04:53AM

He said it's the boldest and most generous move ever made by the church for Elder Couple Missionaries in the last 50 years.

Here is a round up to encourage more senior couples:

Housing Costs supplemented by church missionary funds if housing costs exceed a 'PREDETERMINED' amount?? Calls it Heaven Sent Assistance.

Can serve 6 or 12 months as well as the traditional 18 months or 24 months.

PERMISSION given for senior couples to return home briefly (AT THERE OWN COST) for critical family events. Calls this another wonderful gesture?

Do Senior couple missionaries aid converting Investigators or are they just short of them to aid the young missionaries?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2011 05:08AM by zeezrom.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rt ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 05:01AM

They are free labour, plain and simple. Slave labour, if you will.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 06:13AM

Yes, a lot of senior missions are work missions, not proselyting missions.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 11:02AM

And how magnanimous of the church to make it easier for these older couples to provide that free slave labor!

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 06:54AM

Somebody has to look after the missionaries. The senior couples have an important role as replacement parents for the young missionaries, to stop them from feeling homesick and going home. The role of the senior, particular the wife, is to clean up after them, manage their houses, provide the love and support that their own mother would normally be providing.

TSCC must be short of them at the moment. There are probably too many young missionaries having to do their own laundry.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 07:34AM

freeman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Somebody has to look after the missionaries. The
> senior couples have an important role as
> replacement parents for the young missionaries, to
> stop them from feeling homesick and going home.
> The role of the senior, particular the wife, is to
> clean up after them, manage their houses, provide
> the love and support that their own mother would
> normally be providing.
>
> TSCC must be short of them at the moment. There
> are probably too many young missionaries having to
> do their own laundry.

When my sister was on a couples mission, one of their jobs was to spy on the other missionaries, "inspecting" their apartments while they were out.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 08:04AM

WTF???????? I am SO GLAD my son doesn't want to serve a mission period!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 12:48PM

in regular apartments?

Im curious: what % live in member housing?

So, if you're a mish... are you Required to provide a key / keys to HQ so they can 'inspect' your place?

another Fine Feature of ChurchCo taking control, I guess

Sheesh

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 10:22AM

freeman Wrote:
> Somebody has to look after the missionaries. The
> senior couples have an important role as
> replacement parents for the young missionaries, to
> stop them from feeling homesick and going home.
> The role of the senior, particular the wife, is to
> clean up after them, manage their houses, provide
> the love and support that their own mother would
> normally be providing.
>
> TSCC must be short of them at the moment. There
> are probably too many young missionaries having to
> do their own laundry.

So, they are serving as replacment parents. And who is back home serving as replcement parents and grandparents for their own families? Are there replacement grandparents attending their grandkids baseball games, birthday parties, and graduations? Are there replacement parents present to help their overwhelmed-with-too-many-kids-too-soon daughters?

Nope, only the missionary boys matter to TSCC.

Date: October 02, 2011 08:04AM

Nope nope nope no way in hell I'll ever serve a senior mission for TSCC and TBM DH kows this. Not even with these incentives.

Wow TSCC is gatting WAY desperate! More and more people getting fed up I hope.

Posted by: OnceMore ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 10:50AM

Holland had lots of advice for young men as well. He wants them to "stop dribbling out of bounds" and serve a mission.

"The church needs "young men already on the team to stay on it," Holland said, "and stop dribbling out of bounds just when we need you to get in the game and play your hearts out."

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/52666496-78/church-uchtdorf-lds-mormon.html.csp

I can see "dribbling out of bounds" as the new mormon meme for masturbation.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 10:56AM

Don't these leaders THINK about the double entendres? Their ignorance is amusing yet puzzling.

Date: October 02, 2011 11:30AM

No thier heads are so far up their asses they're totally blind.

Date: October 02, 2011 11:22AM

The bit that got me was this:

Housing Costs supplemented by church missionary funds IF housing costs EXCEED A 'PREDETERMINED' amount??

And who will predetermine the acceptable cost level? lol

And he calls that Heaven Sent Assistance?

Older people having paid tithe all their life still expected to pay!?!? while the church builds a shopping mall and buys real estate and land everywhere.

and this:

PERMISSION given for senior couples to return home briefly (AT THERE OWN COST) for critical family events.

Calls this another wonderful gesture? So the church won't even pay a trip home for the elderly when a loved one dies! He even was very clear and specific " At Their Own Cost"!

What about GA's and Apostles do they pay their own way like this?

If every member has to be self reliant, then why can't the church itself be self reliant with all it's huge business interests and stop relying on others to fund it?

PS Apologies for spelling errors. THERE should be THEIR? lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2011 11:24AM by zeezrom.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 03:26PM

zeezrom Wrote:

> What about GA's and Apostles do they pay their own
> way like this?
>
> If every member has to be self reliant, then why
> can't the church itself be self reliant with all
> it's huge business interests and stop relying on
> others to fund it?

"32 Now Alma said unto him: Thou knowest that we do not glut ourselves upon the labors of this people; for behold I have labored even from the commencement of the reign of the judges until now, with mine own hands for my support, notwithstanding my many travels round about the land to declare the word of God unto my people.

"33 And notwithstanding the many labors which I have performed in the church, I have never received so much as even one senine for my labor; neither has any of my brethren, save it were in the judgment-seat; and then we have received only according to law for our time.

"34 And now, if we do not receive anything for our labors in the church, what doth it profit us to labor in the church save it were to declare the truth, that we may have rejoicings in the joy of our brethren?

"35 Then why sayest thou that we preach unto this people to get gain, when thou, of thyself, knowest that we receive no gain? . . . "

--Alma 30:32-35

There used to be a pamphlet going around called "The 17 Signs of the True Church" which cherry-picked some New Testament verses to make it look like the Morg was the only Church that matched ancient teachings. Maybe we should print a new version with verses cherry-picked from the Book of Mormon to show how the Morg doesn't even follow its own "keystone" scripture.

Date: October 02, 2011 05:50PM

Smith wrote that in to try to make the other churches look like they were not following ancient Christianity. Trouble is that I'm sure Apostle Paul taught it was ok to live off the church members!

I haven't bothered with the bible for a few years now so maybe someone else can clarify that.

Every thing in the Book of Mormon when I read it was clearly a targetted dig at the other churches and it was too obvious to be historical of around 60BC to a few hundred AD. Thats what made me suspicious that Smith wrote it himself including the very precise prophecies of White Europeans coming across the seas (Columbus etc).lol and there was one with the name Mary I think as Jesus's mum? lol

It reflected 183O and Smiths own knowledge and experience.

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 11:29AM

stay home & help support the many kids you had years ago at the dictate of LDS Inc, that are now grown. FAMILY FIRST!

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 12:30PM

Senior missionaries rarely proselytize. They are usually only sent home for health issues, so they can sleep in if they like and take unofficial days off. They always get cars, in even places like France that have 5 cars in a mission of 150 missionaries.

In my mission, the couple worked in the office. They were put into a ward for their last couple of months, which is rare since there were only 5 wards in the entire mission. They spent most of their time out of the office helping out with ward functions and visiting inactives. They very rarely assisted teaching lesssons, but never tracted.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 12:51PM

They were paying about $4,000 a month just for the rent. It was either that or live like a Congolese. They were only in their mid-50s, but got a wild hair up their asses about going on a mission, so they sold their house and tried to use it to finance their mission. They blew entirely through it when they were about half way through, then had to seek help from their family and stake. When they went home, they were homeless, of course, and had no income.

Posted by: HopiBon ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 01:03PM

I was waiting at the end of his comments to senior missionaries that for a limited time they were throwing in a set of steak knives. It was that pathetic.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 01:32PM

The church has leached off the retired members for decades. Now that gravy train is gone. Old people are living longer and medical bills and the cost of living are increasing while so many have lost so much in their retirement funds.

Sorry Church, they need the money for themselves and you have nothing to offer them but some fake ass home teachers, guilt, fear, and useless busy work.

When the fake asses home teachers came to visit my dad in the hospital and they said is there anything we can do? I said yeah, he just shit his diaper and needs his catheter changed. What a bunch of fake ass blabber. It's like having two used car sales men walk into a family funeral and start selling.

Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 07:23PM

senior couple missionaries in this area are assigned to ward that may be struggling with a lot of inactives or leadership. They have assignments in the mission but also serve in the ward they attend.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.