Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anon4now ( )
Date: March 08, 2011 05:19PM

Here it comes. It's almost that time again, when I must hide at least a dozen people on Facebook 'til they quit their night-and-day General Conference quote-spewing and righteous soapboxing.

What is it that makes Mormons compete via their Facebook accounts over who learned the most and who can quote the most? I see other religious types do Facebook bible thumping occasionally. Of course that grates at my nerves, but the Mormon business shreds my nerves.

Most of you must know what I'm talking about. What motivates them? Is it a need to prove one's worthiness? Do they honestly think God doesn't already know what is in their hearts?

Are any of you guilty of this behavior in the past? I'd love to know your thoughts about why you did it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: March 08, 2011 06:02PM

I only have two people who start in on the G.A. love fest during general conference. "Oh, I just love Elder Udork... Oh, it was so obvious that President Monson is the holy profit-o-gawd, blah, blah, blah." I don't think my stomach can handle it this year so I'll do the hide-the-wall thing for a few weeks.

Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: March 08, 2011 06:27PM

The youth in the Carbondale Ward have "Conference Jeopardy" as a combined activity after each conference. The prize for winning is usually just as boring and pointless as Conference itself.

Posted by: foundoubt ( )
Date: March 08, 2011 06:58PM

On FB, you can go to 'A Week', copy the 'A' Logo for your picture and on May 20 - 26 is A week. Show em you're "good without god"

Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: March 08, 2011 08:24PM

I'm always amazed by how many people here at RFM still watch conference. I'd rather have a root canal.

Posted by: dr5 ( )
Date: March 08, 2011 10:35PM

+1

Posted by: dthenonreligious ( )
Date: March 08, 2011 08:30PM

He had "great" seats located way up front, towards the lards special section. I had a fucking blast, especailly when I refused to stand for the profit. I swear by the FSM that this is a true story.

Posted by: rmw ( )
Date: March 08, 2011 08:36PM

I didn't post stuff like that on facebook, but that's how I talked. I'm not going to lie. I lived for GC. I relished every minute of it and loved to compare notes with others afterwards. Gag. Now every word makes me want to scream. Those lying SOBs.

Posted by: AKA Alma ( )
Date: March 08, 2011 08:46PM

My faith/beliefs have always been a private thing... I never hid the fact that I was mormon, but I also never advertised it.

@Charley
I don't know why folks watch it still either... I will however check back here on Sunday night to see if anything exciting happened, also to get an idea about what talks will be thrown at me.

Posted by: freeasabird ( )
Date: March 08, 2011 09:42PM

Hmmm...thinking that maybe for every quote a friend posts from GC, I'll quote something opposing it! Totally kidding...maybe?

Posted by: bluebonnet ( )
Date: March 08, 2011 10:01PM

Love that hide feature it is great! I dunno, when someone goes into General Conference overdrive maybe you could a fake positive reply and quote a Conference speech Brigham Young made in 1856 or whatever that was particularly nutty. Find a wild quote by Joseph F. Smith and reply with it about what a neat quote that is...and give that person's fb friends an eyeful. I don't know...I would LOVE to make a smart-aleck remark to some of those holier than thou status updates and mormon videos!

Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: March 08, 2011 10:35PM

will be about the importance in herding up the lost sheep. Aren't they always?

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: March 09, 2011 03:59AM

General Conference quoting - game suggestion

Let's play 'spot something new' first one to spot something that's never been said before wins a tithing reduction for a month...

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: March 09, 2011 09:19AM

I love to play GC bingo. At least it keeps me awake, hee hee.

Posted by: kennachristensen@hotmail.com ( )
Date: May 03, 2011 09:00AM

You all make me sick.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: May 03, 2011 09:09AM

A clear indication that we are magnifying our callings!

Ron

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: May 03, 2011 09:46AM

Kenna, did you spot anything new at Conference?

Did you hear any modern day revelation?

Did you hear prophecy or translation?

Nah, didn't think so...

"No misfortune is so bad that whining about it won’t make it worse. (Apr 2007 Gen Conf)"
— Jeffrey R. Holland

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2011 09:49AM by Stumbling.

Posted by: think4u ( )
Date: May 03, 2011 11:24AM

Dear Kenna,
That just really hurts my feelings, how very rude and unChristlike of you to say such a mean thing as that, that we make you sick? Really? Are you throwing up now?

Do you not recall that your own prophet JS said in his 11th article that "we allow all men to worship how, where and what they may"? Did I get that right? Did you forget that ?

Well, we certainly do NOT care or feel sick that you love to watch general conference and worship those who knowingly lie and deceive, but we just choose to worship and waste our time elsewhere, like here, with REAL people who care, and not Mormon phony's who care about no one but themselves and their other mormon phony gossiping friends.

When you gossip do you remember to carefully couch your words in this form, "I am just so very concerned about so and so......but did you hear....???" I will bet you are really good at it, as it is the mormon woman's favorite little sin of commission, and somehow, within that context, they feel no guilt whatsoever. I would bet you are an expert at it!

You people honestly do have the art of shunning those not of your faith down perfectly, I mean you could win a prize for that! Be proud of yourself!

And BTW, does your prophet know that you come here and lurk against his council to stay away from such things as this exmormon forum?

Oh my, it looks like you have some serious repenting to do. Remember, even if TM does not know, your mormon god most certainly does know, as he tracks all of your internet history, even if you erase it, doesn't matter, because he knows all things; that is why they call him god, remember? Best to you!

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2011 11:43AM by think4u.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 03, 2011 01:43PM

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: May 03, 2011 02:57PM

The fact that we make you sick was just what I needed to hear to tip the balance into guilt mode and run back to the the clutches of the mormon church.

I will be indebted to you for all time and eternity for having the courage to speak up on an exmormon board. God is so proud of you today.

Do I make Jesus sick too?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2011 02:58PM by Queen of Denial.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 03, 2011 09:22PM

Kenna, take a look at this photo.

http://wwwimage.cbsnews.com/images/2002/06/05/image511240x.jpg

It's a photo of Elizabeth Smart taken at the same age as the youngest wife Joseph Smith took in a polygamous marriage. That is to say, 14 years old.

Don't kid yourself that Joseph's marriages were chaste marriages. They weren't. Do the research.

Don't kid yourself that women married young in the 1800's. They didn't. The average age for first marriage for women in Ohio at the time was about 22. Do the research.

Your church doesn't want you to look at so-called "anti" sites, Kenna. Why not? What are the authorities afraid of? Have you ever heard, "The truth will set you free"?

Start here. Most of the information contained on this website is also on FamilySearch.org .

http://wivesofjosephsmith.org/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2011 09:24PM by summer.

Posted by: apatheist ( )
Date: May 03, 2011 09:50PM

Posted by: anonymouse ( )
Date: March 09, 2011 09:45AM

Now that I have left TSCC I pay attention to what they say in GC. It is so obvious they are full of BS. I actually listen to what they say now so that I can stay up on all their nonsense when dealing with family. For some reason I actually take what they say a little more seriously than I used to, go figure. I still can't listen to it all though, too much nonsense and stupidity. But I find it fascinating that these grown men can go up there and talk like they are little kids. Moronism obviously stunts ones psychological development.

When I sort of believed in it, I just slept through the whole thing. It was just an ordeal to be endured. BORING.

Posted by: think4u ( )
Date: May 03, 2011 11:13AM

WTH? I thought the mormons just had general conference last month?

Posted by: my2cents ( )
Date: May 03, 2011 02:55PM

But a troll, Kennachristensen, just couldn't leave it alone and posted a reply today.

Day late and a dollar short? Yep...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.