Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ldscam ( )
Date: October 08, 2011 08:54PM

I know it is October. My family has a pool that we just closed for winter. Since I didn't join RfM until halfway through summer, I wonder what you all have to say?

My sisters sometimes wore bikinis as teenagers when they could get away with it. Now that they are adults, my parents don't have a problem with it at all.

Now they are both married in the temple. They still wear bikinis, but never when their uptight in-laws are around. My sisters justify it because they don't have to wear garments with swim suits, whether it be a one piece or two piece.

This thought process always blows my mind. Maybe because it makes so much sense but it is so stupid. I don't understand this church. I grew up with very modesty strick parents. Below the knee, covers the shoulders, ect.

So what is it about bathing suits?! Why is it alright to wear a one piece.. they are no worse than short shorts and mini skirts. They are so revealing. Why could I never wear a tank top growing up but no one blinked when I jumped in the pool. If all the boys have already seen my thighs at a pool party, why couldn't I wear shorts to the park.

I thought about this rule my entire youth. It's just one of those little things that is so annoying. What was the point to being so strict when the rule had exceptions? It makes the whole thing void. Isn't that the whole philosophy of TSCC?

How did your parents view modesty?
What did you think/feel about swim suits growing up?
What do you think/feel about swim suits now?
Just curious.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: October 08, 2011 08:55PM

I wore what I wanted. My parents didn't have rules about it. I usually wore a one piece and my sister wore a bikini.I don't care and didn't judge when I was Mormon unless it was awfully skimpy. I'd wear one now if I had the shape for it, but I don't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2011 09:00PM by bona dea.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: October 08, 2011 10:00PM

My mom was very strict about the inches of tank straps. I could wear them as long as they were very thick, no spaghetti straps. Bikinis were an absolute no-no, so that was the first kind of swim suit I bought when I left. }:)

Shorts and belly shirts never seemed to be as big a deal for some unknown reason. As long as I wasn't wearing Daisy Dukes or a bra top, she didn't seem to mind until I pierced my belly button at 17; She flipped about that particular rebellion! SHe also wasn;'t too happy when I requested my ears to be double pierced, but this was about 5 years before the dreaded "double pierced ears revelation."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.