Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tauna ( )
Date: October 09, 2011 10:34PM

I'm not a Romney fan, but I think it would be interesting to see the fallout if he gets elected for the following reasons;

1. Once he becomes president, he will instantly be disliked quite a bit by a large portion of the country (especially those that didn't vote for him). If things aren't going well with the economy, war, etc. it will be 'that stupid mormon president's' fault. I think a lot of mormons think it would be so cool to have one of the secret handshake members in the oval office, but I think the honeymoon will be over before it starts.

2. People will want to know more about mormonism...not because they want to become mormon, but simply out of curiousity. Sites like this one will be visited by nevermos that want to know what their President believes. Imagine when they find out about God having sex with the virgin Mary, JS's polyandry, , blood atonement, etc, etc, etc. They will then ask their mormon coworker or neighbor about these things. Then that faithful mormon will go online to try to refute those claims...and the Mormon will be the one being 'educated'.

3. With the BOM musical, Big Love, Warren Jeffs and the FLDS, it's become acceptable for the entertainment media to make fun of the church. I think this is fueled by the fallout from Prop. 8. I could see some hilarious SNL skits about Romney and his polygamous roots, magic underwear, etc. (I'm sure the SNL writers would love a Romney presidency).

4. In the next 4-8 years, Gay marriage is going to become a HUGE issue in the U.s. Romney will become villainized as the enemy of Gay marriage because of his mormon church membership. If he supports gay marriage, all the GAs and mormons will be upset with him. There is no way he is going to win in this arena.

5. In the end, Mormonism's dirty laundry will be aired for the world to see.

Any other ideas or thoughts on how a Romney presidency would play out for the mormon church?

(Please no politics...I don't want Susan to shut this thread down).

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 09, 2011 10:46PM

It could work the other way. People might get tired of seeing idiots criticizing his religion all the time.

People might sympathize with him and begin to be more familiar and comfortable with Mormons. They won't be mysterious monsters anymore. Most people know their own religion has goofy beliefs if they are honest with themselves.

I think your predictions are more likely though.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.