Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 10, 2011 01:36PM

"And people are afraid of what they don't know." One of the fine ladies on The View said this, during a discussion about Mormonism, religion, cults and politics. Whoopie kept saying that a person's religion has no effect on their politics, mostly because she can't imagine the intrusive, mind-control aspects of Mormonism. So if we were going to do a press release for non-LDS media people who know nothing about Mormons (except what is in the Mormon generated press releases) what would we tell them? What would the talking points that the uniformed world needs to know about Mormonism? I mean people who couldn't care less about Ethan Smith v. Solomon Spaulding and the bigger things that fascinate exmos. Just an easy to understand soundbite for those clueless about Mormonism.

Any ideas?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: October 10, 2011 01:44PM

ALL of the Mormon beliefs will come to the fore then.....then he is toast!! at least thats how i see it!! especially the endowment dialog! thats the ticket!! :)

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: October 10, 2011 01:45PM

I got into an argument with a friend about this issue back in 2008. He wanted to know why I wouldn't consider voting for Mitt Romney and I told it was because he was a Mormon and I felt his Mormonism would have an effect of his ability to lead. My friend is from Massachusetts, so he had experience with Mitt Romney as governor and liked him. I tried to explain to him about the "hive mentality" of Mormons and the fact that good Mormons have to "follow the prophet". They also have a history of telling their members how to vote.

We ended up having a big fight about this issue... and I haven't really talked to him since then, mainly because he had no respect for my viewpoint. I told my friend that I wouldn't vote for an evangelical Christian for the same reasons I wouldn't vote for a Mormon. Their religious preferences dictate them to go against issues I think are important.

Date: October 10, 2011 01:57PM

you are just a knothead!! :)
if you dont think religion has an influence on politics..... just remember that JFK was the first Catholic to be elected to the Presidency!

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: October 10, 2011 02:15PM

would have some effect on a person's politics.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2011 03:42PM by wine country girl.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: October 10, 2011 02:16PM

...except that he'll say just about anything to get elected.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: October 10, 2011 03:09PM

He's reversing his position on issues to pander to the Evangelical Xtian set. And for that reason alone, I wouldn't trust him. He's a fucking wishy-washy bastard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2011 03:09PM by Itzpapalotl.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: October 10, 2011 03:32PM

I would have voted for Romney in 2002. However, in 2004 he decided to reverse his previous stances to run for President, alienating people in his own state. If I were liberal or conservative, I'd worry what Romney would do. He seems to be the most unartful politician, blatantly changing his stances with the wind to suit whatever audience he is pandering to. Clinton did this well, but got away with it. Romney just comes across as slimy.

Posted by: GQ Cannonball ( )
Date: October 10, 2011 08:49PM

Yeah, Clinton didn't come across as slimy...ha ha, good one.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: October 10, 2011 02:20PM

issues to the forefront.

Unfortunately, this is probably the biggest week of Mormon headlines we will see, and it has nothing much to do with us. The discussion is going to continue to be between anti-Mormon fanatics and Mormons. We just get to watch, and the truth will sit it out with us on the sidelines.

I'm finding it quite a let down. I'm amazed there isn't more discussion of what is going on even on this board.

The up side is that it is bad publicity for Mormons. It may open some eyes. The bad news is that all publicity is good publicity at some level.

Posted by: Strykary ( )
Date: October 10, 2011 02:28PM

Of where it eventually led most of us. We didn't just stop with Mormonism, we extended our criticism and analysis to all religions. There are many similarities between Mormonism and Christianity and to call any of those into scrutiny is dangerous.

I was having a discussion, albeit rather one sided, with a Christian friend of mine. They were talking about the power of prayer and how they know the Bible to be the true word of god. I couldn't help but think that the whole concept is eerily similar to what I was taught in Mormonism.

To examine the true history of Mormonism is to call into question the roots of a religion. To call into question the roots of a religion can lead to many other conclusions, so it's best to stay away from the subject entirely. Deflect and reject.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2011 02:29PM by Strykary.

Posted by: Scooter ( )
Date: October 10, 2011 10:36PM

I'm thinking about what Bill Maher said in Religiousosity

when you come late into the game, it's like you really have to ante up the crazy.

"I'll see your talking snake and burning bush and raise you magic underwear and wooden submarines and 9 foot Quakers on the moon."

2,000 years of lore acquires a nice patina of respectability. Kolobianism is just batshit crazy.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: October 10, 2011 02:20PM

Saying I won't vote for a Mormon is just wrong. I would vote for Harry Reid, and I'll likely vote for John Huntsman in the primaries. They don't strike me as the typical Mormon social climber type. Mitt just oozes that saccharine passive-aggressive nature of Mormon leaders: pat you on the back, invade your personal space, and then ask you to do something for them that is of no benefit to you. If Mitt is not elected President in 2012, he will be in the Quorum of the 12 in 2013.

I think Huntsman is a Jack Mormon and Reid comes from the pre-McKay days when most Mormons were FDR Democrats. Marriner Eccles was FDR's closest economic advisor.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 10, 2011 02:24PM

what I really wondered was:

If you had a chance to write a one-page write up on what the media really should know about Mormonisms, what bullet points would you include?

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: October 10, 2011 02:26PM

I've found the best thing to talk about is kolob. Everyone has the same response: REALLY?!

Kolobian: "Listen. Mormons believe that they and their 'god' are all aliens from a glass planet in the star system kolob. They believe that everyone who has ever lived on earth once lived on another planet and they also believe that their alien god once lived on a planet like earth."

I like this approach for several reasons:

1. It equates kolobianism with scientology.
2. You can prove it.
3. When kolobians try to deny it, you can easily google the book of abraham, show it, ask them why they're lying, and tell them that if they don't believe their own scriptures they shouldn't expect anyone else to.
4. You can show non-members that kolobians tend to lie about their beliefs.

Posted by: Scooter ( )
Date: October 10, 2011 10:39PM

really, I spent the weekend camping next to a lake.

wood really floats.

I'm serious about this.

Posted by: kookoo4kokaubeam ( )
Date: October 10, 2011 03:02PM

Let me just be up front and admit that I like Mitt Romney.

BUT.

I think there is a valid & legitimate concern about his allegiance. As all of you who are familiar with the LDS endowment know, a COVENANT is made to GOD that you will dedicate everything you have/talents/think to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and to the building up of the kingdom of God on earth. Not to do so is a violation of that oath.

I know Mitt has publically stated that his religion will not influence his decision making as a president and for the time being I have no reason to doubt him.

BUT

I think that American voters have the right to know about his allegiance to his church to more better help them assess their understanding whether they want him as a president.

Posted by: luckychucky ( )
Date: October 10, 2011 03:41PM

I tend to agree that the aligence issue centered arounf the law of concecration is a key issue. For Mitt to promise his church won't influence him is a lie either way you look at it. Either he lied to his church and is just using it a a polotical tool or he lied to America.

Date: October 10, 2011 03:42PM

I think that American voters have the right to know about his allegiance to his church to more better help them assess their understanding whether they want him as a president.
yup...that was my point!! when JFK was running most of his critics thought that the Pope was gonna be riding shotgun!!

Posted by: christieja ( )
Date: October 10, 2011 03:10PM

+1 CA girl. Do you think Whoopie would feel the same way if she knew that Mormons viewed African Americans as dark and loathsome at one point?

Posted by: Brian M ( )
Date: October 10, 2011 03:55PM

I think the obvious place to put media attention on is a fair synopsis of what the Book of Mormon, and Book of Abraham are composed of and what Mormons believe about its origins.

It is obvious that the Book of Mormon is 1/5th direct old and New Testament quotations with additional parallel plot lines. An awareness of that alone begins to make the foundation look very fishy.

Then directly stating that the Book of Abraham is believed to be a translation of Egyptian burial scrolls is also an immediate red flag that the Mormon mythos is based on complete impossibilities.

This is what I would like to see media attention on. Polygamy, whether Mormons worhsip an acceptable version of Jesus to evangicals are dead ends, because they are so ambiguous and inevitably lead to statements that "it doesn't matter."

However, I think it would matter to a lot of voters if they knew just how implausible the mormon mythos really is. Someone who accepts this mythology while still being well educated is someone who is afraid to question their deepest personal assumptions, and to me that can be undesireable and even dangerous to have as a leader of the executive branch.

Do you think there is any media outlet that would be willing to focus on highlighting the content and claimed origin of the Book of Mormon and Book of Abraham? They wouldn't even need to be critical, just simply tell exactly what is there and what any honest mormon would say they believe.

If so, is there any way that we as a community could encourage them to do so?

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: October 10, 2011 03:58PM

I will vote for the Democrat, for the first time in my life. Same goes for Rick Perry. I don't want to see any person with hard-core Christian religious beliefs as the POTUS.

Posted by: kookoo4kokaubeam ( )
Date: October 10, 2011 04:02PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2011 04:03PM by kookoo4kokaubeam.

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: October 10, 2011 04:26PM

why is this so reminescent of another situation where ppl were told that they could nt properly judge MORmONISM because they did not have all the facts ......... and how come ppl dont have all the pertinent facts ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyXyxfAodtQ

Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: October 10, 2011 11:04PM

Things the public should know that they don't and really would have a hard time knowing without having been in the church. These things would alienate them about the church.

1. Part-member families and marriages where only one spouse is Mormon are often stressful and at great risk of divorce. If you leave the church you can realistically lose your family and be alienated from your loved ones who are still Mormon.

2. Church members have to put up with intrusive interviewing from a young age and for the rest of their lives. The interviews are connected to whether they have committed any sins, including masturbation and having paid an "honest tithe," or if they have investigated alternative views about the church.

3. Church members are indoctrinated to view obedience as a primary value. And they are taught from a young age to "follow the prophet."

4. There is an elitism built into the church culture based on one's ancestry and how far back it goes to "pioneer" days or the founders of the church. If you are fifth generation Mormon you are more likely to be viewed favorably, or with reverence, by other Mormons than if you are a first generation convert.

5. The church promotes a hero worship view of its leadership. Church leaders speak with the authority of God. Questioning of church leaders is greatly discouraged. (Protestants would have a hard time with this one.)

6. If you are not deemed Temple worthy or you are not a member of the church, you may not enter to witness your Mormon child's wedding "sealing." You have to wait outside while strangers witness your child's actual marriage vows. The Mormons will allow that you can attend a nice reception and maybe a ring exchange if the Bishop allows it.

7. Families have to pay about $400.00 a month to send a child, usually a son, on an 18-24 month "mission" to a foreign country. The child will be thoroughly indoctrinated during this time, both at the Missionary Training Center and while on his or her mission. During the often two year period the young person will only be allowed to be alone when attending to personal hygiene.

8. Mormons who drink alcohol or tea or coffee or who smoke or use tobacco are not "worthy" to enter the Temple or hold significant "callings" or positions of authority in the church. They are considered second-class citizens by other, presumably more "righteous" Mormons.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2011 11:17PM by derrida.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.