Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: allthewine ( )
Date: October 09, 2011 01:22AM

Any way to meet young people in utah county who don't buy in to the predominate culture?
Apologies if this isn't considered appropriate on the forum, but i thought i would give it a try!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: utahmonomore ( )
Date: October 09, 2011 01:24AM

How do we know you arent a serial killer?

Date: October 09, 2011 01:37AM

Oh, well I AM a serial killer, so problem solved!

Posted by: dressclothes ( )
Date: October 09, 2011 01:46AM

Awkward...

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 09, 2011 03:30PM

Date: October 09, 2011 02:02AM

Well, funny joke huh? I promise I'm nice and I suppose that's the best I can do.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: October 09, 2011 02:06AM

Some places have exmo groups. And some have NonMo groups too.

You'll have to check though.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: October 09, 2011 04:14AM

Plan activities and meet at a park, or at chili's or whereever. It was a great way to find people to talk to.

Once in a while my husband or I will announce a Starbucks Sunday Morning on this board. Maybe a few people show up.

Go shopping or to a movie on Sunday. Most of the people there won't be LDS. Costco is like going to church on Sunday for a lot of exmos we know. We run into a bunch of friends every time.

Another possibility: See if you can find the CALM group on the internet (Community After Leaving Mormonism). Some really nice people run that group, and they used to meet monthly to discuss their issues after leaving.

The UU church up in SLC, near I-215, has a Religious Transition Group that meets every other week at 12:30. No religious agenda there . . . they just let exmos use the building. That's run by Deconstructor, I think.

Good luck. Both of those groups don't have a lot of young singles. Maybe as you meet people your age, you could start a private and secret facebook group for young singles. I'm in a secret facebook group (mostly exmos). It's a place to announce get-togethers or discuss stuff without all the TBM relatives seeing it.

Oh yeah, . . . don't forget the exmo conference next weekend. I'll be honest, not a lot of young people go, but usually there are a few really nice looking ones that do.

Posted by: B ( )
Date: October 09, 2011 03:39PM

ima, I need to pay more attention and watch for these Starbucks meetups, my wife, sister-in-law, her husband and I have a tradition of going out for Sunday morning coffee at various coffee shops around Utah Valley.

It would be nice to hit Starbucks on the same Sunday as you guys to meet more friends in the area.

Oh and we just got back from a Sunday Costco run, so I can testify to that statement :)

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: October 09, 2011 09:49AM

Believe it or not. :) Check out Velour on University AVe, which has local musicians most weekends. Juice and Java and any other coffe spot is a good place to meet people. Moe's Diner in Orem is a fun spot and their cheese fries are good.

City Limits and ABG's in Provo are a way to meet interesting people, but many are pretty hard partiers and there's always a not-so-nice element that frequents these places. I met my BF at City Limits 6 years ago. :)

Date: October 09, 2011 01:10PM

The Velour is the best, I'm there every couple weeks for a few bands. New goal will be to spend more time in coffee shops.

Posted by: jolene ( )
Date: October 09, 2011 12:15PM

I like serial killers!!! How young are we talking?? I have a pretty good group of friends in Utah County - we're all in our late 20's, early 30's... Good people! Some have kids, some don't, some are married, some are total virgins... we don't discriminate. Some are all the way out of the church, some are jack Mormons who drink on Saturday night and go to church hung over the next day to teach elder's quorum. It is the best group of friends I've ever had! If we're young enough for ya, let's find a way to get in touch and hang out!

Posted by: stuckinutahcounty ( )
Date: October 09, 2011 01:07PM

I fit into that age group and I am in Utah County. I stopped going to church this year. It is definitely an adjustment to go from relying on FHE and church activities as my social support to trying to figure out where I fit in ...

Posted by: jolene ( )
Date: October 11, 2011 01:21AM

Hey stuckinutahcounty - send an email to my throw-away account - maybe we can meet up some time for coffee or get together with my group of friends! jolene.johnson24@yahoo.com (my name is not really jolene)

Date: October 09, 2011 01:15PM

I'm pretty young- early twenties, very early

Posted by: B ( )
Date: October 09, 2011 03:29PM

I'd also recommend that students in the Utah Valley area may want to check out UVU's SHAAFT club (Secular Humanism, Agnosticism and Free Thought)

Their website is shaaft.org and you do not have to be a UVU student to join.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.