Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: silhouette ( )
Date: March 08, 2011 08:21PM

Like most things. Control. It creates an environment of making it harder to leave since you preached the bullshit you now oppose.

Posted by: AKA Alma ( )
Date: March 09, 2011 01:07AM

+1

I can't tell you how many times I've heard "But you said in your (talk/testiphoney/lesson) [enter topic here], I know you know it is true."

To which I truthfully and honestly say "I was wrong."

Posted by: zimmy ( )
Date: March 08, 2011 08:25PM

its to test your faith to see how much dull and boring drivel you can stand in one life time.

Posted by: Stormy ( )
Date: March 09, 2011 12:55AM

Or how about just an hour of it...my ex never made me sit through it all. He knew better...if bored well..I squirm and count things. All the things kids do.

stormy

Posted by: pkdfan2 ( )
Date: March 08, 2011 08:36PM

Someone linked to a site on brain washing techniques.

It talked about making someone uncomfortable in order to get rid of their critical thinking ability. For example the Hari Krishna's who jump in front of you and ask for money or the EST/FORUM group that bullies you from the stage and won't let you go to the bathroom.

Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: March 08, 2011 09:37PM

I think the idea is to push people to do things that are uncomfortable for them as a way to get them to internalize the teachings, doctrines, ways of talking, gibberish, of the group.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: March 08, 2011 11:45PM

That is all it is. It is to brainwash the masses.... have them all in one spot and make them stick it out listening to the same words..."I know this church is true....blah, blah, blah." Brains work in funny ways. Hear it enough and then believe it. I am a nevermo and it amazes me you would rather sit through that than be given a sermon of value from a pastor who actually went to theology school and can give counseling as well. No the Bishops can't do that so they have the ordinary family get up there and drag their kids up too. It is a shame.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2011 11:46PM by honestone.

Posted by: Stormy ( )
Date: March 09, 2011 12:58AM

I'm with you. Why would people listen to a "Bishop" with no theology degree? I know priests go through 6 years of training etc. Plus what they have to do to get in...it's getting harder due to "naughty" priests. And yes I am Catholic, but it happens..

I thought the Bishops were creepy...no training and intrusive.
Yuck.

stormy

Posted by: rgrraymond ( )
Date: March 09, 2011 01:00AM

The cult is to cheap to pay a pastor.

Posted by: tawanda2011 ( )
Date: March 09, 2011 02:42AM

The purpose does fit into the things that totalitarianism uses to mess with people's head. But hell my last talk in church was very good. I referenced non church books and country western songs. Hell, I should send them a bill.

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: March 09, 2011 12:27PM

I thought the purpose was to make the members feel they were part of the gospel influnce of the church. Some of the worst crooks and cheats I ever knew could give talks that would bring tears to your eyes. It seemed to me that it was the same people that would be giving the same faith promting talks in meetings.

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: March 09, 2011 01:47PM

Speaking in front of alot of people is a good exercise for the youth, at the very least. The ability to do that well has its merits in a professional context.

Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: March 09, 2011 01:50PM

So that everyone is guilty and no one can point fingers for all the BS that regularly occurs in a ward or branch.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: March 09, 2011 03:37PM

I sometimes wonder if Sunday meetings and manuals are just the front facade for the corporation behind it so that it looks like a church and makes people think its a church. Really, You learn very little about God there. Its mostly about families, geneology work, going to the temple, and the testimonies are canned to be continually repeated, The manuals rarely change, and if they do, not much. They just keep the teachings in circular motion including General Conference, which gives no new revelation or anything that hasn't already been said or thought of. All the while they rake in the tithes.
Maybe that's too much conspiracy thinking? But why no changes? It runs itself.

Posted by: george ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 02:33AM

Because it is done freely. Some churches have guest speakers, and then a portion of the morning collection is given to them.Sure wouldn't work in the TSCC, SLC would explode. Actually there was a stake high councilman, who I would pay to hear once again. Every
year around Mothers Day he would give a talk entitled, "My Mother,
the genealogist". It was brilliant. He and his siblings were raised on peanut butter sandwiches while mom sat before an ancient typewriter, creating family group sheets. I laughed till I cried.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.