Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: yolinda ( )
Date: October 21, 2011 02:04PM

I mean GEEZ! Some of my mormon family members make a long winded bless all the children in Africa and everything else out there. A simple blessing on the food is good enough. Even if I was God, I would good annoyed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tabula Rasa ( )
Date: October 21, 2011 02:13PM

Yer kidding. All I ever heard (basically) was "blah, blah, blah and bless this food to strengthen and nourish our bodies and do us the good we need aninnanameofjebuschristamen".

Ron

Posted by: yolinda ( )
Date: October 21, 2011 02:14PM

That's the way blessings on the food should be. Short, sweet and right to the point.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: October 21, 2011 02:20PM

I always thought it was funny that mo's say they don't use memorized prayers in their daily prayers. However when i would spend the night at a mo friends house their family and mealtime prayers were word for word the same. What mo doesn't know the above quoted blessing on the food? i never heard a variation that i can recall.

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: October 21, 2011 06:14PM

I always thought I was bad person for blessing the food EXACTLY THE SAME everytime. I mean, how many variations on "bless this food" were we supposed to come up with?

"Dear Heavenly Father, please bless this food that we are about to eat that it will nourish us and be free from any impurites inamojesuschristamen"

Posted by: quebec ( )
Date: October 21, 2011 03:19PM

That's nothing.
Once I was with a guy in his car and he had come to pick me up so I would go babysit his children while he and dw would go out. He had a couple of errands to run before getting to their place. Each time we got back in the car after stoping (wether for groceries or gaz) he said a quick prayer before we left each place...

Date: October 21, 2011 04:23PM

Wow talk about living in fear! Sad part is if he has an accident he would probably think it was because he didn't say the right thing.

Posted by: Cleareyes ( )
Date: October 21, 2011 04:27PM

Or if he didn't get hurt it was because he was wearing his holy underwear and because he said the prayer.

Date: October 21, 2011 04:43PM

so it was not a very new convert.
It bugged me so much because a couple of times he asked me to do it. Silly me, I did not know how to say NO at the time.

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: October 21, 2011 03:23PM

My mom makes a quiet show of stopping before eating to bless her food when she visits... She says it to herself with her head bowed and hands clasped. I don't think she's trying to be rude about it, but we all sit there awkwardly while we wait for her to re-join the conversation.

Date: October 21, 2011 04:25PM

Maybe its just me, but i would conspire with my family to all bow their heads and fold their arms after the meal....leaving mom to wonder what is going on :)

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: October 21, 2011 04:48PM

That would be way too funny! Of coarse then she would start doing it normally, figuring we were praying to bless the people cleaning up... But the first couple of times would be priceless!

Date: October 21, 2011 04:59PM

Thats when i would conspire to have everyone get up and leave the table, leaving her sitting there alone. I know, confusion is of the devil.

Posted by: danboyle ( )
Date: October 21, 2011 04:36PM

Date: October 21, 2011 04:52PM

OH i like that word. it has a nice ring to it. I think it may be useful in the future.

Like "get down off your rameumptom and join the rest of us" LOL

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 21, 2011 04:46PM

It's their way of manipulating a captive audience and it might have a passive/aggressive aspect to it. Afterall, who would dare complain about a prayer to God. Even if the prayer call calls out or insults a listener, it's difficult to complain and accuse the prayer giver of rudeness.

The right and usual prayer except for Christmas and Thanksgiving is "Please bless this food that it will nourish and strengthen us."

That one sentence does it except for the wordier families who say our bodies instead of us adding "and do us the good we need."

Priesthood guys who hope to be bishops or whatever have to add other reminders about living commandments and blessing the poor, the sick, and the crippled. My BIL talks so long that the rolls get cold every time. Finally, he is a bishop at age 70.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2011 04:48PM by Cheryl.

Date: October 21, 2011 04:50PM

One day I suddenly thoughted it funny that sometimes we prayed to god to bless the food we were about to eat so it would nourish us and the food on the table was not necesarely very "healthy" ;)

Posted by: luckychucky ( )
Date: October 21, 2011 05:09PM

I always found it funny that people thank god for a meal he didn't even lay a finger on. Or when people would say "please bless the hands that prepared this food" as if they aren't there half of the time and cant be thanked directly.

Date: October 21, 2011 05:24PM

I always thought that hands comment was dumb. They couldn't be bothered bless the whole person? Just their hands? silly

Posted by: S. Tissue Trotter ( )
Date: October 21, 2011 10:41PM

Is that synecdoche? (Did they learn it in the Schenectady Ward?)

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: October 21, 2011 05:52PM

Posted by: tmtinfw ( )
Date: October 21, 2011 06:14PM

I've always felt long, devotional-type prayers at the breakfast, lunch, picnic, or dinner table were a great opportunity for the supplicant to demonstrate their superior spirituality and general awesomeness. Self-aggrandizers, mostly, IMHO...

Posted by: darth jesus ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 12:16AM

the blessing of the food in itself is an acknowledgement that god is also responsible for the lack of food on other people's homes.

also, would you thank your dad for buying you toys and food while he lets your siblings starve to death? and would you worship him?

of course christians don't see that.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 12:47PM

But... if the person gets too long-winded, then I start making funny faces to the kids, (who by the way, gave up the closed-eye charade much earlier in the prayer).

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.