Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: wirehead ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 06:29AM

... but am planning my exit.

Tired, just tired of all the confusing BS that the church outputs.

What's the point of it all? I mean, they expect me to believe that JS translated the gold plates and came up with the BoM? Yet we can't see the gold plates for ourselves? I'm beginning to think that there was no such thing as the gold plates, and that JS inhaled those mercury fumes from his hat when he looked at whatever stone he found somewhere (yes... they DID make hats using a process that involved using mercury to set the hat in a particular pattern).

And this whole thing about becoming a god when you enter celestial and having your own universe.. that sounds cool and all, but I'm now starting to be questioning of it all.

I'll never fit in anywhere. They called me to be one of their lackeys, to be an EQP... but how can I do my job when they don't communicate with me? When all I do is rollcall?

I started having my doubts some time ago, and I have not been a member for 20+ years, I have been a member only 3-4 years.

My wife doesn't quite understand why I'm thinking this but wants me to be happy. She knows I'm not that happy in the church. But the real core of it is I just do not want to become a Morg automaton who is unthinking, who will not even ask how high when they they say jump.

They kinda shun us, because we have no kids (wife can't have any), they shun us because we don't exactly want to go into the Temple, they shun us because we won't wear the Jesus clothes...

Who are the bishopric and the stake-ric (for the lack of a better word) to judge us? I was raised being taught that no man should ever judge, leave that to the Lord Himself. Yet the people in the church and especially the bishopric are VERY judgemental.

I don't know anymore. I think I'll go back to being myself, just me, the Bible, and the Lord. I'll work on my car on Sundays, I'll drink booze if I want, I'll smoke the wacky tobacky if I want, I'll go shopping or eat out on Sundays, I'll drink Pepsi all I want. Ain't gonna fit in their bullshit mold anymore.

Wirehead

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mrs. Solar Flare ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 06:51AM

Welcome to the Board.
Yes, you're in good company. Many of us felt exactly the same way.

Once, I sat down and made a list of all the hours I spent in SM, SS, RS, preparing VT messages, doing my calling, children's activities at church, committee-this, committee-that....... all designed to guilt me into being a better wife and mother.................................

Then I decided to actually spend all that wasted time actually BEING a wife and monther!!! And guess what? I'm a WAY-BETTER wife and mother now that we're out of the Morg-control than I EVER was inside it.

And I have time to actually ENJOY my family......imagine that.

Welcome to the family.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 06:58AM

Welcome to RFM!

Thank you for your post. I can relate to what you are going through.

The Mormons marginalize you for even one little glitch in your life. Yours is that you don't have any children. Mine is that I'm a divorced single working woman. Having bumps in the road is NORMAL. Mormons are not normal.

You and your wife would be so much happier together outside the church. Your wife needs comforting, and instead she gets shunning? That alone should tell you that this is not God's church.

If you are in doubt, take a temporary leave of absence, on a trial basis. Church is not a paying job. Some other lackey can substitute for EQ president while you're gone. Just tell them you will not be in church for the next month or so. You are not obligated to explain, because it is your life. You are not an automaton.

For two months, you and your wife can have fun (save the smoking and drinking for later) working on your car, taking weekend road trips together, sleeping late, shopping, eating out, and anything else you feel like doing. Both of you will feel happier after the first week!

See how it goes, and don't criticize the church to your wife or anyone else. Just emphasize the positive things about being free.

I like that you want to take your Bible with you. Christianity is a good way of life. I tried other churches, and they were all way better than the Mormon cult. You don't have to go every Sunday, They have a lovely Christmas Eve service, and an Easter service, and some Christians only go twice a year. You don't have to be baptized a member, or have a "calling." You leave feeling uplifted, not drained. Never shunned. I finally settled on the Lutheran church, mainly because I like their "Bible only" policy on scripture.

Good luck to you and your wife. What you're going through isn't easy. RFM will help.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2011 06:58AM by forestpal.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 06:59AM

There is something beautiful and innocent when the Mormon starts to finally question things and I get to hear it voiced for the first time. That was me a year and a half ago ..

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 07:02AM

This was me a couple of months ago.

Welcome to the boards.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 07:41AM

This was me, a couple of years ago.

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 07:26AM

Religion is all about magic. When you stop believing in magic you have made the choice to quit believing in organized religion. Welcome to the real world.

Date: October 25, 2011 07:59AM

Just my opinion but this is one that's been formed over the years of trying out different churches: ALL organized religions suck. Just me, the Bible, and the Lord, that's all I need.

The other thing that especially sucks and can make a very quick trip to hell is BYU. They got their grubby meathooks in EVERYTHING here. I am beginning to root for the OTHER teams now.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 08:42AM

I attended that university for the last two years of college. I got a great education, but the mindset SUCKED! I thoroughly HATED the "breed 'em young" shit. I even became inactive while I was out there. When I left, I was driving along I-70 heading back east to reality and home. When I crossed the border between Utard and Colorado, I literally pulled off to the side of the road, got out, looked back at the Utard side and yelled, "I'm back in REALITY!" It sure felt great.

I now cheer whoever is playing them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2011 08:43AM by imalive.

Posted by: another guy ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 07:58AM

... and not the 'make believe' world of LDS Corp

Posted by: familyfirst ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 08:00AM

Wirehead,

Have you noticed that there is very little talk about Jesus Christ or even God? That used to disturb me greatly since I thought I was getting involved with a church that claimed to be the very true church of Jesus Christ. What we got was programs, and Mormon rules and standards preached at us along with a varnished and changed history of the church.

I mention this since you seem to be Christian and if you do check out another church, you will be floored by how many times Jesus is mentioned, as he should be in a church.

The fact you are being shunned should be a red flag to you. My husband and I and kids were also shunned once the initial courtship was over. We went to the temple, got our endowments wore the stupid underwear but the promise of a community was denied us and we sat by ourselves alone on weekends. We buried family members of our extended family without even an acknowledgment from the people in the ward. We were alone. Then when they did interfere and tried to help with my daughter's reception...it turned into a nightmare.

All the LDS church is, is an organization that seeks to put itself first and will swallow up anyone that gets in its way.

Date: October 25, 2011 08:12AM

JS this JS that JS the next thing. Do they really worship some addled dude who dabbled in the occult (yes... I read and think, something that COJCLDS hates apparently)? Do they worship GBH like he's some sort of deity?

Almost eerily reminiscent of North Korea and their reaction when their great (yaright...) leader died, when GBH died.

Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 08:17AM

If they existed, we would know for sure they were bullshit too by their words alone...
...Their preoccupation with white and black skin, and the overt racism that black skin was a curse from God upon the wicked.
...Their endorsement of the massive cruel culling of the Native American population by the hand of God to make room for a christian nation, and lauding the vile Christopher Columbus for getting it started.
...Implying that the Jews had it coming because "none other nation on earth would crucify their God".

Are...you...kidding...me?

Would those words be any less bullshit written on gold?

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 11:05AM

Not just black skin. Brown is bad too. Only white and delightsome is the good kind. Only now the code word is "pure" rather than white. Go look it up in a former BOM version. I guess you are right though--black=superbad can't have priesthood. brown=semibad but with hope of turning lighter.

Posted by: FreeRose ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 09:33AM

And glad the Morg blinders are coming off. Kinda like seeing the man behind the curtain, eh? You really nailed it. They ARE a judgemental bunch. I left 30+ years ago. Best thing I ever did.

"I think I'll go back to being myself, just me, the Bible, and the Lord."

Good for you! This is all I have and don't need anything else.

Good luck to you and hope you both can find peace and happiness outside of the cult.

Posted by: Tabula Rasa ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 09:36AM

What kind of car?

Just wonderin'...

Ron

Date: October 25, 2011 09:49AM

01 Maxima. :)

Has some electrical issues needs sorting out and needs a new neg batt cable, and want to put an aftermarket sound system in it. I'm trying to get it to where itll pass s/e.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 10:03AM

Posted by: mav ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 10:14AM

You may be on to something with JS.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 11:01AM

http://youtu.be/D0MO6OzV9sM

As you leave a life of servitude to LDS, Inc, may you enjoy your life of true freedom.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2011 11:08AM by wine country girl.

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 11:09AM

I'm not sure how solid this is but it seems many bic exmos become more agnostic while converts or people with a non-lds upbringing tend to move back to what they believed before.

There is some tension on the board between the believers of something and the agnostic folks at times. I don't mind it and am glad we can all agree on the one thing and help each other in the transition to whatever makes your life better.

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 11:30AM

Interesting point about the difference between BIC and converts. I am BIC, and it is unlikely I will ever believe in a deity ever again.

I have considered the argument that TSCC brainwashes it's members into believing it is the only true church, to the extent that when the believer no longer believes TSCC, there is nothing left. This would also explain why many who leave Mormonism do not join another organised church, even when they still believe in a supreme being (or entity), prefering to worship alone.

Personally, I see 90% of the same techniques that JS et al used in forming the church also used by the founders of all other organised Christian denominations. If Catholics, for instance, considered the origins of their religion and it's history with the same scrutiny they considered Mormonism, they would probably reach the same conclusions.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 11:38AM

freeman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If Catholics, for instance, considered the origins of their religion and it's history with the same scrutiny they considered Mormonism, they would probably reach the same conclusions.

Probably so, but the difference is that a range of belief and practice is allowed for in the Catholic church. A Catholic can go to church just twice a year (Christmas and Easter, which are arguably the most fun and rewarding times to go anyway,) and not be an object of discussion in church meetings or have anyone knocking on their door. Catholics can reap the benefits of their culture without having any real detriments. So if a Catholic doesn't really buy the virgin birth story, or whatever, it's not such a big deal. No one is going to threaten that Catholic with disfellowshipping, excommunication, or loss of blessings.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.