Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 09:45PM

Remember Criswell from "Ed Wood?" His predictions were bogus but I think that the church will no longer insist on a literal word-for-word interpretation of the "Book of Mormon" and instead emphasise a symbolic one within the next ten years. The historical record in the BoM is totally imaginary and the Brethren can't control information as they did in the pre-Internet era. Look for Joseph Smith getting a direct revelation from God (i.e. like Mohammed) to show up some time in the future as well.

I also predict (as the membership rolls contract) that within twenty years there will be same sex temple weddings. Mormons have large families, chances are higher that these families will have for more gay kids, and some will still want an emotional connection to family (and hence Mormonism), and the potential tithing revenue stream will be too hard to ignore...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 10:14PM

I believe in your predictions, just not as soon. Both us these I see as 30-40 years from now. LDS inc won't change unless it things become VERY problematic for them.

Few TBM's have trouble with the historicity of the BoM so I see no reason why they would change on that anytime soon. The only people who see problems with it are those who no longer believe. Few Mormons will look at anything critical of the BoM's authenticity. They all seem to lap up what FARMS/FAIR say.

They'll be behind the curve with gays as well, just like the blacks. We still have a long way to go with the country's acceptance of gays.

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 10:18PM

I believe the church will change and follow the path the RLDS have. DeEmphasize JS and focus on Christ--yes in process now. BoM symbolic--yes. Women with Priesthood--yes. Gay Marriage--yes but further off. Back off literal bible claims--yes.

The church is run by old men and moves very slowly so I couldn't begin to put a timeline but I do think 10 years is probably too optimistic. Then again the Soviet Union changed almost overnight and it was run by old men so you never know.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 11:05PM

The Church won't de-emphasize the Book of Mormon but they will de-emphasize the demand that it be considered historical. Many LDS intellectuals cannot accept the historicity of the Book of Mormon but can accept it as divinely inspired scripture.

The Church will never come out and say "oh, it's an extended, divinely inspired parable" but they will start not firing people from BYU who suggest that. A few years ago Dallin Oaks gave a talk at some F.A.R.M.S. dinner where he insisted that the Church had to hold on to the claim of historicity of the Book of Mormon. This stance is what will be softened, but there will be no official pronouncement about it, they will just pull back in their rhetoric.

Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 11:25PM

The singularity will come before that. Then it won't matter ... we'll all be worshipping Sky Net

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.