Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: pharrell ( )
Date: October 27, 2011 01:04AM

Ive noticed that the same topics are being posted on both websites. Makes me wonder if people are posting on both sites, or are threads being stolen?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: October 27, 2011 01:15AM

People post on both sites.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: October 27, 2011 03:14AM

It's no surprise that the same topics come up on the various exmo boards. People have similar experiences and universal questions.

Just as you can't copyright an idea (only your unique expression of it) nobody owns a topic, only the words they write about it (as in people can't, or shouldn't at least, copy a post or part of it word for word without giving attribution).

But many ex-members are going to be interested in the main topics that get discussed here, whichever board they frequent, such as the temple, missions, who in church hierarchy knows what, Mormon doctrine (or lack of), changes and anachronisms in the BoM, how to get out of Mormonism with family intact, and other crucial questions for their lives.

So, there's bound to be repetition (not "stealing") which actually gives more credence, if it's needed, to the reality that many members have left and there are good reasons why and many share similar experiences and need help to transition out of Mormonism.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 27, 2011 07:46AM

Some people are members of both sites, and they cross-post certain entries.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: October 27, 2011 09:48AM

I haven't been there, but from some of the posts here I've gathered that postmormon.org is a little softer than RfM. I don't really like to tiptoe around...

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 27, 2011 12:17PM

My take is that it's just a different community with a different style, but all in support of the same cause. Some people feel more comfortable here, some there, and some elsewhere still. It's all good.

PostMo has some good exit stories, and the board also does an excellent job of promoting local get-togethers. I love their billboard outreach projects in the Morridor.

I have lurked there off-and-on for the past several years, but obviously I prefer it here. :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2011 12:19PM by summer.

Posted by: Stunted ( )
Date: October 27, 2011 06:25PM

I guess both things could be good or bad depending on what you were looking for.

For me, this is the one and only true board on the whole internet. Of that I bear solemn testimony in the same of the Savior, even Jesus Christ, Amen......Is that how it's supposed to go?

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: October 27, 2011 04:39PM

I lurk and post on both. I changed my user name over there, but it used to be the same as here. My preference has shifted over the years. At first, I hated this site. Then I decided both have equal value. Now I prefer this one, although I don't really hate it over there. I just think that women's voices and issues are too often ignored or treated dismissively. Seems a little more balanced over here.

My mind can change about all that on a daily basis, so that's my opinion today. :>)

Posted by: GayLayAle ( )
Date: October 27, 2011 04:41PM

...but I couldn't keep track of how their board works. Plus I fear change. Plus if I was posting on both boards, I'd NEVER get anything done.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: October 27, 2011 09:01PM

It is much slower than this board which is one reason I don't spend a lot of time there. I have also found moderation inconsistent. Something is okay one day and the next day the moderator gets pissy about it and thinks it will drive newbies away.They get fixated on small problems like avatars and ignore things that really would upset people who still believe to some extent such as wholesale religion bashing.They need to make up their mind and try for some consistency.It is kinder and gentler than this board, but it has its issues too, just like any board.Most of the time, I prefer this board just because there is more action due to more posting.There are things I Prefer over there and things I prefer her, but overall this board is more interesting on a consistent basis

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2011 09:28PM by bona dea.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.