Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Drew90 ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 05:01PM

One tbm there who I'm not friends with asked me why in a smug anti drinking voice. I just replied why not. I enjoy red wine. I've never had a white wine yet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2011 05:02PM by 48erhater.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: voweaver ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 05:19PM

My favorite is Riesling. It's a fruity-tasting, slightly sweet wine, and very pleasant.

Many white wines can be very dry. IMHO, that's wine-tasting jargon for saying the stuff is so sour, your eyeballs cross when you drink it.

~VOW

Posted by: AngelCowgirl ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 05:32PM

Why?
Because you wanna get totally soused, go drive around town and cause some accidents, then pick up a stranger at a bar and fornicate, of course.
TBMs can't think of any other reason... might as well tell them what they want to hear.

Hope you enjoy your taste - I haven't had a white yet either. Wine, that is. ;)

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 05:33PM

I'm a sauvignon blanc fan. I like my whites with a little kick.

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 05:37PM

Try a Sancerre blanc

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 05:38PM

to start you might like a Gewurztraminer, or Riesling that that is Not dry. if you find them too sweet, try dry. This would be a great excuse to buy several bottles, invite friends over for wine tasting.

Posted by: downsouth ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 05:52PM

My wife love MEZZACORONA Pinot. Followed closely, very closely, by all other white wines. And low and behold, she has now brought a coffee maker into the home.
All we need now is a good relative visitation ;)

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 06:50PM

Try a Rose. They can be very nice.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 06:59PM

Zinfandel, is it? That's nice.

Posted by: Tabula Rasa ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 09:23AM

Zinfandel is a full-bodied red wine. White Zinfandel? I'm a wine snob and that stuff isn't wine.

Nice affordable white: Santa Barbara Pinot Grigio.

Just sayin'...

Ron

Posted by: Marcionite ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 06:53PM

Why?

Punch your TBM friend in the crotch and say "You know why!"

Posted by: Johnny Canuck ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 08:06PM

I like Pinot Grigio....

Date: October 24, 2011 08:08PM

i like those too. kinda tropical tasting to me. or citrusy. not too sweet.

Posted by: Marcionite ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 08:16PM

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 08:33PM

Hey mia, I bought a bottle of that Horse Heaven Hills merlot.

While I was buying some beer, I thought I would just see if they had it. Lo and behold! they did, on sale! and only one bottle left! ... 'a sign' ;-) ... so I scooped it!

Haven't tried it yet but looking forward to it.

Posted by: muaddib ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 08:36PM

It will be confirmed by a "burning in the bosom/s".

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 08:45PM

Date: October 24, 2011 11:18PM

i hope you like it:)

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 06:23AM

I prefer pinot grigio to chardonnay. I don't like any of the sweet wines -- they taste like cough syrup to me. I had a pinot grigio from Rex-Goliath last night, and it was pretty good. I wouldn't drink it by itself though like I would a red. For me, it's best with food. I made a fish pasta last night, and the wine made the meal perfect.

Tell your smug friend that wine is for grown ups, so she probably wouldn't like it anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2011 06:25AM by Makurosu.

Posted by: exmowife ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 11:33PM

Viognier & Rousanne are two more whites to try, both are quite flavorful. You will have to experiment as they can both be bottled dry, off-dry, or sweet and that makes a huge difference. Chardonnay, fermented on oak is fairly bold with mild tannins, not unlike some reds. If it is fermented in stainless it is more fruity and acidic, but no tannins are present.

Enjoy!

PS if you like the sweeter whites, Muscato is fantastic.

Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 11:44PM

you should have said, "I want to re-enact the final moments of Joseph Smith's life"

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 12:11AM

CHAMPAGNE!! Doesn't have to be expensive to be VERY good. Any of the Korbel Champagne Cellars sparkling wines are great and very reasonable (around here you can find them as low as ten bucks on sale). I also would recommend Gloria Ferrer Sparkling Wines (to be called Champagne the grapes must be from the Champagne region of France, so in California they're referred to as Sparkling Wines, Brut, & etc.). Gloria Ferrer is usually about twice the price of Korbel. For your first time it's unlikely that you'd be able to tell the difference, and Korbel makes fantastic sparkling wines that you're going to enjoy. If you have a few extra bucks, buy yourself a nice Champagne Flute for the occasion. It really will add to the experience of the wine.

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 05:30AM

Whilst you can get decent champagne without a hefty pricetag, you can also get utter shite and still pay over the odds for it.

Posted by: presbyterian ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 12:13AM

I am the opposite of a "wine snob." Would that be a "wine idiot?" Anyway, I like my wine sweet. We drink Baringer White Zinfandel as our house wine. For a treat, we get a moscato. It's very sweet. Some have orange and other flavors. It's sooo good, but I think if you got drunk on it you'd be in trouble.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 05:39AM

Chardonnay, chilled

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 07:04AM

Don't get the wine wine called "Cupcake" unless you make a wine cooler out of it. I served it up to guests and no one drank it. Has anyone ever tried it? Its a Napa Valley wine.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 08:29AM

The Chardonnay has a bet of a kick, but I liked it.
For the OP, a few white wines I enjoy are Bella Sera Pinot Grigio, Mad Housewife Chardonnay, Herding CatsChardonnay isn't too bad either, but keep in mind I like my whire wines fairly dry.

If you can get them in your area, I heartily recommend anythig from the San Juan Winery. And your friend sounds like a smarmy jackass.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 08:33AM

... beer!

Mormons don't drink beer.

That's why they suck!

Timothy

Posted by: andyb ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 08:40PM

Red is good too....as is the world of beer and rum and because I never paid tithing or fast offering and never gave the MORG 1 fucking dime, I can afford really good single malt Scotch, too!!!

Posted by: miserable in utah county ( )
Date: October 30, 2011 12:29AM

I love Moscato and Reisling. I just polished off the rest of my White Zin. LOL! I'm a "wine idiot" too! White Zinfandel is very "beginner friendly". Very fruity.

Posted by: meagainat40 ( )
Date: October 30, 2011 01:07AM

Can someone tell me a list of sweet red wines? I'm new at drinking wine and I'm having a tough time figuring it out.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.