Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 04:47PM

The article focuses on Rick Turley, who molested approx. 15 children in California & British Columbia

" ...Turley is one of more than 5,000 suspected child molesters named in confidential files kept by the Boy Scouts of America. The documents — called the "perversion files" by the organization — include unsubstantiated tips as well as admissions of guilt."

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-scouts-molest-story,0,3130016.htmlstory

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 06:17PM

Sad. So sad. All of those boys whose lives were permanently changed and this monster could have been stopped.

His story could mirror those of church leaders I've read about on here. Access to kids w/o background checks makes it all too easy for predators like this man.

Posted by: Scooter ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 06:24PM

The BSA now has measures in effect that, if followed to the letter, can virtually assure an end to this.

Oddly, growing up in East Texas in the 70's, scouting was so pervasive, and with so many dad's running the show, I was completely oblivious that it was ever an issue.

Getting involved with scouting as an adult decades later, I was informed for the first time that there was actually a history of troubles.

So I was completely oblivious or did grow up in halcyon times.

My point is that I was told the youth protection policy is to protect my reputation as well as to protect the youth. I have followed to the letter and have never been in a one-on-one situation with a youth.

If marments followed this exacting stricture to the letter, their youth would be protected as well.

I could go on with other gripes, but what's the point?

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 11:03PM

There was recently a Fifth Estate (like '60 Minutes' but Canadian) program devoted to this. I have only seen the preview so far and I remember when Turley was in the news locally (I live in Victoria, BC where he abused a lot of boys) but I plan to watch it at some point.

It's available online:

---

Synopsis:

"Investigating sexual abuse in Scouts Canada

For young people across North America, Scouting offers fun, adventure and new friendships. But, given the nature of Scouting, the organization sometimes attracts men who prey on children.

In a co-investigation with the Los Angeles Times, the fifth estate looks at Scouts Canada's controversial system for recording the names of pedophiles who have infiltrated its ranks and been removed the organization. It was known as the Confidential List.

Host Diana Swain asks the question: have all of those allegations, going back decades, been shared with proper authorities?

The fifth estate's groundbreaking investigation follows a very public legal battle in the U.S. where the Boy Scouts of America were forced to reveal that it often did not inform police when allegations of sexual abuse were made.

The Boy Scouts of America has since paid out millions in legal settlements."

---

Full episode - I hope that this is viewable in the US for those who are interested:
http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/2011-2012/scoutshonour/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2011 11:04PM by spaghetti oh.

Date: October 29, 2011 11:23PM

we did our summer trek there in 09. did we meet you?

Date: October 29, 2011 11:37PM

Hmm, I doubt it! I'm a nevermo and the only Mormons I know are in Alberta (that I know of).

Where abouts did you trek?

Date: October 30, 2011 10:31AM

we hiked the Juan de Fuca Trail in August 09

Date: October 30, 2011 12:22PM

Oh! I thought you meant that mormon trek thingy. Sorry!

Beautiful trail and kudos for doing it! (I haven't yet. Bad me!)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.