Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jazzskeeter ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 12:01PM

Is there a rule about who can/cannot be buried in temple clothes?

I'm endowed, but am no longer active or temple-worthy. I can imagine my family trying to bury me in proper Mormon fashion.

P.S. I am not dying.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 12:05PM

I doubt that either of my parents had a current TR when they died. They were too sick to go attending the temple for a LONG TIME and they were buried in temple clothes.

I have made it CLEAR to my ex and my son--and my boyfriend--NO TEMPLE CLOTHES (and just a graveside service with a few family and friends)--buried in jeans and a turtle neck.

Posted by: dino ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 12:06PM

When my sister died she was buried in temple clothes and she had never been through the temple. I plan on being donated to science, then cremated, that way I don't have to worry about being buried in temple clothes.

Posted by: nomomomo ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 02:46PM

My brother is doing the same thing, he has late-stage Parkinsons among other illnesses. He is donating his body to the U, and he is instructing that they cremate him in his temple clothes......

I guess that counts? Hmmmm. I wonder what will REALLY happen when it comes to that. I think TSCC will have to donate them to him, he doesn't have any and is poor, and the money would be hard to come up with, and who will know anyway? I'm sure God will still take him.

This is what he told me though, they will cremate him with them on. Weird.

Posted by: 2lazy2login ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 08:35AM

Cremation in temple clothes? Is that the only way to truly get rid of those disgusting chef's hats and green aprons? And are we sure they could actually burn?

Posted by: Rod ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 12:07PM

clothes, in fact, I may wear them while I hand out halloween candy. You can do what you want.

Posted by: dino ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 12:13PM

That is an awesome idea! I will answer every knock with "what is wanted?"

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 02:20PM

And each time you drop a candy into a kid's bag say "health in the navel," "marrow in the bones," etc...

Posted by: badfish ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 10:22PM

Anytime I hear that crazy made-up temple crap in public, I just want to bust out laughing. Does it get any more obvious that it is a crock of $hit than hearing out loud the ridiculous monotone chanting that goes on in the international house of handshakes? These are grownups and presidential candidates for chrisakes!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 12:18PM

They need to be prepared in the afterlife for dead dunking and other proxy temple rituals.

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 01:03PM

...is the right answer.

It makes it easier at the great ressurection if we are already dressed in the clothes we will be spending eternity in.

Posted by: Teancum on Her Face ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 06:59PM

Those clothes aren't going to look so great with liquified human remains staining them.

I mean, it's not like the CLOTHES get resurrected.

Posted by: elcid ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 01:05PM

Yes you can be buried in temple clothes. It's the choice of the surviving family members and has nothing to do with the church.

But honestly, I look alot better in a nice suit and colored shirt....

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 01:27PM

I'd like to think I'd care, but I honestly wouldn't. I'd be dead. My family can do to me whatever would bring them the most comfort. Hopefully this won't include any reference to Mormonism, but if I died tommorow it certainly would.

Posted by: Quoth the Raven "Nevermo" ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 02:15PM

freeman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'd like to think I'd care, but I honestly
> wouldn't. I'd be dead. My family can do to me
> whatever would bring them the most comfort.
> Hopefully this won't include any reference to
> Mormonism, but if I died tommorow it certainly
> would.

You know if you were buried in a baker hat and an apron that you would have to come back and haunt them.

Posted by: luckychucky ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 07:19PM

M Grandma always said that after she died we could toss her in the irrigation ditch for all she cared. She ended up burried in her temple clothes. Lucky for me I'm an only child married to another athiest and my grandparents had a combined total of something like 80 or 90 grandkids and I am one of the youngest. I hope to die at an old age with none of my TBM family surviving me to make my corpse play dress up before I get cremated. Either way though it's no real skin off my nose.

Posted by: jazzskeeter ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 02:34PM

I know I'll be dead, but for some odd reason I DO care.
My brother in law died this spring. He owned his own business, and spent almost everyday of his adult life in a shirt with his business logo on it. But he was buried in temple garb. It seemed so unlike him.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 02:56PM

to receive their endowment should be buried in their temple clothing. Active, inactive, recommendable, doesn't matter.

Posters here occasionally complain about how deceased relatives were dressed in the temple garb even though the person didn't want it and/or was anti....

Posted by: anonforthis ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 07:35PM

Notice when a MO female is buried in her temple clothes she "HAS" to have her face covered by a veil.
I was told that women cannot face god directly so hence the veil.

Can someone back this doctrine up for me?
Why a veil for any reason other than I suppose to make P-hood men feel like they have control over women even in death.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 08:12PM

because in today's society, there will be no acceptable answer.

I did some web searching, this page seemed to be the most applicable: http://forum.newordermormon.org/viewtopic.php?t=16952

Regardless.... when my dear old mum starts bantering on about mormonism or temple work, I ask her, "do you still need to veil your face?"

Posted by: anonforthis ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 09:11PM

anonforthis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Notice when a MO female is buried in her temple
> clothes she "HAS" to have her face covered by a
> veil.
> I was told that women cannot face god directly so
> hence the veil.

thanks for the link... I was right sexist all the way even
in death

History of Utah, 1540-1886 by Hubert Howe Bancroft [1889] wrote:

All good Mormons are buried in their endowment robes, and the veil worn by the women covers their faces when they are consigned to the grave. In the morning of the resurrection, this veil is to be lifted by the husband; otherwise no woman can see the face of the almighty in the next world.

Posted by: Duder ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 07:58PM

Some folks actually complained that he wasn't worthy. Others said he wouldn't want them on. I held firm that he would haunt us all if we made him wear a tie, and learned later that folks complained that one must wear a tie with temple clothes. Then, folks even complained that we put a lei around him while he was in temple clothes.

Christ, I can't believe I got through that whole bit without striking someone.

Posted by: Otremer ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 10:11PM

...they aren't gonna be around very long anyway. They'll wind up like this guy's clothing. That's why I choose cremation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUc1ankVxDI

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 02:17PM

My service is going to be in a pub. Everyone has a good time, gets drunk. You can pass a mike around after a while and everyone can say funny, endearing comments. For the mormons you can just do a graveside thingy.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 03:39PM

Oh ya, you bet you can! They are special garments that must be purchased and used for dressing a body that has been embalmed (open in the back).

As long as the person has been to the temple at least once in their life, and are still on the rolls of the church, they can be buried in their temple clothes.

Some info on LDS funerals, burial clothing, dedicating the grave etc.

Burial Clothing Basics
Endowed female members of the church in good standing are buried wearing their temple garments, white, long-sleeved dresses that reach the ankles and wrists, or blouses and skirts that reach the ankles and wrists, white stockings, white shoes, a white slip, and the ritual temple clothing found in their temple packet.

Endowed male members of the church in good standing are buried in a white long-sleeved shirt, their temple garments, white tie, white pants that reach the ankle, white socks, white shoes, and the ritual temple clothing found in their temple packet. A white suit coat is optional.

Temple-endowed women dress deceased women, and temple-endowed men dress deceased men, except where local restrictions prevent anyone but a funeral director from handling the body. In that case, the funeral director will dress the body, and an endowed member (male for males, and female for females) should check to ensure that all ritChurch leaders have access to a publication called Instructions for Clothing the Dead Who Have Received Their Endowments that has detailed instructions on how to prepare endowed individuals for burial.

Usually, white clothing is chosen for those who have not yet attended the temple, too, but it is not required.

It is alright for un-endowed and non-LDS family and friends to see ritual temple clothing during a viewing. If the family feels that seeing temple clothing would prove disruptive, sacred items may be covered with a blanket or cloth. (Source: Official LDS publication, Instructions for Clothing the Dead Who Have Received Their Endowments)

When an individual is to fragile or decomposed to be dressed, sacred items may be folded and placed beside the body inside the casket for burial.

After consulting Instructions for Clothing the Dead Who Have Received Their Endowments, questions may be directed to the Temple Clothing Office at 1-801-240-3333.ual temple items have been properly placed.

MORE INFO HERE: LINK
http://www.mormonshare.com/relief-society/lds-burial-help.php

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2011 01:57PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: Tabula Rasa ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 04:58PM

I doubt the deceased gives a rat's ass one way or the other.

Ron

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.