Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Odell Campbell ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 05:01PM

But I am curious about your question. Do you have a reason to believe there was a contact? And if so, how did it effect either?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 05:18PM

spread as much Swedenborgianism as he did apples. Don't know if the met, but JS got his Swedenborgianism but he clearing got it from somewhere.

Some would say that Swedenborgianism is part of the background of folk beliefs in the US although the # of actual followers is small.

Some examples, Jesus visiting the founder, 3 level heaven, eternal marriage, apostasy of the original church, a restoration, free will.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 05:57PM

I am trying to establish when Swedenborgianism found it's way into Joseph's theology. I was wondering if Johnny Appleseed could have clued him in.

Date: November 02, 2011 03:16PM

Jacob.

I wonder is Appleseed left a diary? We pretty much know were JS was day to day. Were they ever close to each other.

JS left a lot of writing when do the most salient Swedenborgian ideas start to show up.

Good luck.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: November 02, 2011 03:28PM

. . . causing permanent brain damage and inspiring hallucinations.

Hence, the beginnings of Mormonism.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2011 04:01PM by steve benson.

Posted by: Thread Killer ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 06:10PM

I'm sorry, but "Swedenborgianism" sounds like something Hugh Hefner would do in a hot tub with three gorgeous blonds...

What the hell, so would I!

Date: November 02, 2011 03:17PM

Italianborgianism, personally.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 06:26PM

I saw a documentary on apples a while back. It said that the seeds Jonny Appleseed planted didn't grow apples used for eating like we eat apples today. They would have been good for making hard cider....that's pretty much all they were used for back then.

To get sweet apples, you have to graft from a tree that produces sweet apples, and to get sweet apples you have to graft, as the seeds from any given apple can produce a very different apple when grown.

So if Jonny and Joseph had any contact with each other, it was probably over a few glasses of hard cider at the local pub:)

Disclaimer: I'm not an apple expert so if I got some factoid wrong above, you'll just have to deal with it yourself:)

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 07:04PM

However, it would n't have been necessary for JS to have learned about Swedenborg's theology from Appleseed. And he wouldn't have needed to read Swedenborg. The New Church movement -- a restorationist church based on Swedenborg's teachings -- was one of the many alternate religions floating around the country. JS could have met several New Churchers over the years. After all, the official JS history says the Smiths had been checking out various religions. That didn't need to be limited to the big denominations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2011 07:11PM by Stray Mutt.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.