Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Rod ( )
Date: November 02, 2011 03:57PM

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/11/02/with-im-a-mormon-campaign-church-counters-lily-white-image/?hpt=hp_c1

Check out some of the comments. Ouch for the morg. I think the Q15 are kicking themselves (or should be) for not putting a person of color into the Q15 when they had the chance. It's hard to get past the Lili-whiteness of the 15.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: captainmoroni ( )
Date: November 02, 2011 04:30PM

Many of those comments were heartening. A lot of people are seeing through the church's bs. However, I was surprised by how many Mormons were on the comment boards plugging their religion. I bet they are going to bear their testimony this Sunday about their preaching to the heathens on CNN today. We need to focus on the soundbites that resonate the most with people and that are hardest for Mormons to adequately answer.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: November 02, 2011 04:35PM

i had to laugh at the pic in that article.

first, since when is picture taking allowed in the chapel?
second, they all knew someone was taking their pic. they are all smiling. People don't smile while sitting in the chapel. just look around next time you go.

just some observations.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: November 02, 2011 10:12PM

<< Yup, lots of diversity here:

http://www.ldschurchnews.com/media/photos/2011/51390-m.jpg >>

I see lots of diversity!

Some have their hair parted to the left, some to the right and some have not much hair at all. Half have glasses on, half do not.

Why, it's a veritable Smorgasbord of humanity!

;-)

Posted by: missguided ( )
Date: November 02, 2011 07:48PM

Did anyone else notice at GC how the cameras kept zeroing in on the only three colored men in the Tab choir?? Hilarious! Must have given them more air time than Tommy, all just to show the "rich diversity". Hah, most of the Tab choir members arent even TSCC members

:)

Posted by: Ed (not logged in) ( )
Date: November 02, 2011 09:07PM

Drove me nuts also and, yeah, it was definitely trying to showcase non-existant diversity. They always do a similar things with the photos of conference goers in the Ensign.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: November 02, 2011 11:39PM

Posted by: missguided ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 12:24AM

really? I meant no offense. Is it offensive? Urgh sorry, English class just finished Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer...

Technically, people with darker skin are "colored" by the number of melanocytes...People with lighter skin are kind of bleached because they lack a larger amount melatonin

Hard to know what to say anymore i guess :)

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 05:26AM

Here's the short, short version:

Ancient Egyptians called all sub-Saharan black African people "Nubians" even if they weren't from there.

The Greeks and Romans did the same thing and used the the term "Aethiopian" ("burned face").

The Portuguese were involved in the early African slave trade and used the word "Negro" from the Latin word "Niger" (black).

Some British colonists in the Americas couldn't say "Negro" properly and started using the slang word "ni**er."

In the 19th Century Americans and Europeans started using the word "colored" to refer to all "non-white" people.

From the mid 19th Century to the mid to late 20th Century Western societies were extremely racially polarized and racial segregation was commonplace and accepted as the norm. In the US, a person could be "Negro" or "Colored" no matter what how light or dark their actual skin tone was.

During the cultural awareness movement that took place during the Civil Rights era people started to use their own terms to refer to themselves and no longer use terms that were imposed upon them by others. "Negro" sounded too much like the pejorative term "ni**er" and the term "Black" started to be used.

"Black" refers to skin color and not to ethnicity. "African-American" started to be used in the same manner as other "hyphenated" ethnic groups in the USA (like Polish-American, Italian-American, etc).

Posted by: Tristan-Powerslave ( )
Date: November 02, 2011 09:26PM

I still laugh & facepalm about it now about how the leadership in SLC didn't represent the diverse wards & stakes outside of Utah. It was & still is radically pathetic.

Posted by: ! ( )
Date: November 02, 2011 11:28PM

NEVER apologize for being white.

Big p.r. mistake for MorgCo.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: November 02, 2011 11:51PM

“Didn't Joseph Smith find tablets only HE could see/use. And decipher a book only HE could read. And once it was deciphered he then gave the book to everyone and said this was the word of God. And no one takes that as just a liiiiiiittle bit odd? So God thought EVERYONE would believe this ONE man? Why would God only reveal himself to one person? Doesn't anyone ask questions?”

(Of course, the commenter is obviously a Nevermo, since he assumes erroneously that questioning is permitted in the Mormon church.)

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 12:56AM

But other people saw the gold plates! Wait, no they walked by the room where they were sitting on a table or something. That sounds good. Hmmmm yeah.

Posted by: xMo ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 01:23AM

People that ask questions don't join the Morg. Or don't stay in long.

Posted by: Longout ( )
Date: November 02, 2011 11:53PM

Get these pics to the media!! A picture is worth a thousand words, and no apologist, no editing nothing can illustrate "Diversity." Diversity and Mormonism...internal contradiction unless you are in a 3rd world country and need to be counted in the BS 14.1 Million member bizarre statistic.... My other fav photo? The Cheer team for BYU. Blinding.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.