Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 02:13PM

I couldn't bring myself to read the whole story. A girl on lds.org said they made paper purses at girls camp....
I assume so they could put all their GOOD stuff vs. their EVIL in them?? what will they think of next?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 06:03PM

They'll probably make those poor gals watch the purse story which is now a video:

https://lds.org/youth/video/the-lost-purse?lang=eng

BARF!

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 09:32PM

Ewwwww!

Just reading the comments below the video is barf-worthy enough!

i like the message of the video a young women who is faithful and always set an example to others on keeping high standards and be a example of other young women who our the daughters of our heavenly father...D

31 October 2011
United States

Matthew Thomas G. says:

This is the kind of girl that I want to marry someday.

30 October 2011
United States

Joseph N. says:

Cool video. I'm glad there are young woman who are following the Lord.

30 October 2011
United States

Nicole B. says:

let me just say it is touching that someone would be that way without anyone telling her to! I wish that I could think like that all of the time. This is my favorite story. Her example does not just show rightousness but it shows faith. Thank you whoever you are for making a movie of my fav. It's... MORE

30 October 2011
United States

Marissa Natassja H. says:

This young women is so amazing!!! I am going to try to be like her. If all the people in the world were like her than we would not have the problems we have in this world today. Thank you for this amazing video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30 October 2011
United States

Megan Catherine M. says:

Wow that girl is a wonderful example of being clean and pure. i hope all young men try to find girls as wonderful as that. This is one of my favorite videos, thank you whoever you are for sharing you testimony with me!

30 October 2011
United States

Cynthia Mary H. says:

I love this video! It makes you want to be that great of person. I hope I can be like her in my actions! My favorite part was that she didn't put all of that in her purse for attention, it's just who she is.

Posted by: jazzskeeter ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 11:52AM

Oh, Gawwwd! Those comments make me gag. I can see the young women throughout the church putting pamphlets and recipes in their purses on purpose. I can also see the young men doing the "purse test" on the girls they date.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 12:05PM

Try out these additional comments:

3 Nov 2011
United States

Zoey Beth M says: This is a great video. It makes me want o have a purse just like it! (BARF!)

1 Nov 2011
Australia

Meredith Eve B. says: This video was very chastising for me. It made me evaluate myself and think about the type of young woman I would like to be. Its so uplifting to know that young women like that exist in this day and age. (You mean BRAINWASHED?)

31 Oct 2011
Joshua McClain R. says: i hope the people in my town do that........... (you must LOVE having your privacy violated then!!!)

31 Oct 2011
Matthew Thomas G. says: This is the kind of girl that I want to marry someday. (A mindless Molly Mormon? GAG!)

And ad nauseum. BARF! BARF!

Posted by: Sandie ( )
Date: November 02, 2011 04:55AM

Then I'm really screwed because I don't carry a purse. I would wonder what MOs think of this, but I simply don't care.

Amen on the gun and permit to carry, Mia! Ditto here, but I carry in a holster on a leather belt.

Posted by: sistermary ( )
Date: November 02, 2011 08:18AM

Let me get this right... they didn't want to violate her privacy so they go through everything in her purse, read at least 5 pages of her notebook, all the scripture list, to see if her name was anywhere on it, open her juice box wallet and see how much money was in it, rummage through her papers that had recipes on them, and then FINALLY when they couldn't figure it out from all of that, they open her wallet and check her for her ID. But pulling out her wallet and quickly looking for her ID in the first place would have been violating her privacy? Oh wait, it would have given them no story to make up. Never mind.

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: November 02, 2011 10:25AM

"...When they found her ID, they discovered the purse was owned by Sandra Dee, lousy with virginity. Sadly in the next scene she was corupted by John Travolta..."

Posted by: nowI'mfound ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 10:29AM

That video was gaggy. Especially the laughter in the background. I don't believe this story for one second. It's the kind of manipulative over-embellishment designed to guilt members into being the best of the best. Notice there's nothing "worldly" that they pull out. No, it's all about image. She takes care of her physical appearance, she's spiritual, and she's gonna make her friend a kickass birthday cake. How could we NOT want to be just like her. Let's all make juice carton coin purses!!

BARF.

Posted by: Kiribati ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 08:38PM

I've heard so many faith promoting stories. I think that is all the lds church vomits up.

If even 1% of the crap they publish were true, I'd be shocked.

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 08:48PM

And I thought sponge paint cheap fabric bags at camp was bad. Paper?

Date: November 01, 2011 09:14PM

they made them to promote the story about a girl left her purse at church. some adults found it, went thru it to find id.decided by looking thru her purse she was an icon of virtue. they made a video about it. its on lds.org. if you can stand to watch it. So now they are having the girls make paper purses, and using it to guilt trip them about anything they may ever carry in your purse. the whole thing is absurd.

Posted by: Calypso ( )
Date: November 02, 2011 02:02AM

HAHA wanna know what I have in my purse?

My wallet, my heavy metal filled ipod (the joy of music), breath spray and lotion (I have a clean mouth and soft hands as well!), and some condoms just in case! (I too am prepared.)

I second the BARRRFFF.

Date: November 02, 2011 02:28AM

well since your confessing

i have 3 tubes of lipstick
3 pens
my wallet with wdl and permit to carry
smith wesson 38 (loaded)
cell phone
lotion/tissues
and a bunch of grocery receipts.

I guess they would decide i have dry lips, from talking on my phone. i write things down. i am old enough to drive and drink,but i don't do them simultaneously. my hands get dry. my nose runs in the winter. i buy groceries. and i have legal permission to shoot someone who is up to no good!

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: November 02, 2011 04:01AM

I wonder what mine would say about me?

Tons of coupons and loyalty stamp cards. Yup, I'm cheap.

Wipes, hand sanitizer, and a hair tie. I'm a mom of young kids.

My phone...which is also my iPod, camera, daily planner, etc...I use it for everything.

Makeup. Because I'm worldly and vain.

Pens from various businesses. I like free stuff.

What a bunch of trite bullshiz! They are holding her up to be this beakon of righteousness for having the strength of youth pamphlet and a god damn recipe in her purse? So what? I grew up in an LDS community. I'm sure the Mormon girls I knew all had roughly the same purse contents. And they still were doing bong hits and giving head in the parking lot at our stake dances.

The shit in your purse doesn't mean anything.

Mormons are straight up delusional.

Posted by: Tabula Rasa ( )
Date: November 02, 2011 10:06AM

I was hoping they'd find a quarter and a condom in the homemade change purse, but that's just me.

Ron

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: November 02, 2011 10:26AM

I was hoping for birth control pills or a diaphram when they opened the purse!

Posted by: justanotherprettypiece ( )
Date: November 02, 2011 10:12AM

I used to carry my scriptures to church every sunday in a bag with the "for strength of youth" pamphlet. I'm sure based on my scripture bag TBMs would have come to the same conclusions about me as they did with this girl. But just because you carry the "for strength of youth" around with you doesn't mean you would never ever masturbate, make out with your boyfriend, or touch each other under your clothes.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: November 02, 2011 10:19AM

a thousand paper cranes, or six million paper clips, but it takes mormons to think something like paper purses is significant.

Posted by: red pill ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 10:18AM

They forgot to mention the other purse they found in a dark corner of the parking lot next to a used condom. They opened it up and found a planned parenthood book titled "A youths guide to STDs, with bonus self diagnostic section." They then found a little black book of boys names with thing written in some kind of code. (kissed, have blown, want to blow, wild thing, etc.) and there was an empty bottle of vodka, and then they found it. A fake i.d. for the bishops daughter. LOL.

Posted by: nowI'mfound ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 10:39AM

Is it just me, or wouldn't the story be better if they opened it up and found all these dirty little secrets and then the girl turned out to be the kid of one of the leaders who's been portraying this righteous image? Then the message could be: Who are you really? The image you portray or what you hide? And how can you make the two consistent with one another? Isn't that the young women's Integrity motto, "I will make my actions consistent with my knowledge of right and Wrong"?

Big fail, mormons. You could have actually had a meaningful message, because EVERYONE has something to hide. But the truth is, you're not interested in good people, are you? You're only interested in people who LOOK good.

Posted by: jazzskeeter ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 12:01PM

Another comment: "When I first heard this in Conference, I felt the spirit and was thankful that my spirit sisters in the gospel were not just going to church and mutual and just going through the motions, but were living the gospel in their everyday lives. It reminds me of something my Young Women leader once said in a lesson, "The gospel of Jesus Christ isn't a Sunday church...it is our lives." Then of course, I immediately ran to my purse to see what was in it. I also found a brush and a for strength of youth book. I also found my mp3 that had wholesome music on it, some gum, my journal, perfume, notes about upcoming church activities, and my phone that had all our ward's young womens' numbers saved in it. I was pleased that I too could say that I wasn't just going through the motions, but living the gospel everyday."

Good thing she had a phone with all her righteous friends' numbers in it. Who carries around a strenghth of youth book? What a gagger.

Posted by: dominikki ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 01:24PM

I threw up in my mouth a little bit...

Date: November 03, 2011 02:14PM

When i was a teenager i may have put something like that in my purse just to throw my nosey mother off the trail.

The other reason i would have had it, would have been because they had handed it out in the class i had just gotten out of. No garbage can in sight. into the purse it goes til i have a chance to clean it out. It would have been totally meaningless if someone would have found that in my purse.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.