Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kdog ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 03:23AM

The thread about an LDS woman being concerned about children watching Spounge Bob Squarepants got me thinking about my LDS Aunt. She wouldn't let her kids watch the disney movie, Pocahontas, because of the inter-racial marriage.

Ok, fast forward 10+ years. She then REFUSED to attend her oldest child's temple marriage because his fiance was a QUARTER hispanic!!!!!! (Her family being Caucasian) And NOT that this even matters, but she looks completely Caucasian!
She ended up changing her mind a few weeks before the wedding and reluctantly attended.

I just don't even know how to respond to this kind of ignorance! This country is probably the biggest "melting pot" of ethnic groups in the world and who knows what genes run in one's family! Man, I just want to say to her, "There is no pure Aryan race, Hitler!"

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: justanotherprettypiece ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 05:32AM

Wow your aunt sounds insane! I can't imagine how freaked out she would have been if her child hadn't got married in the temple.

I don't have any relatives that are that crazy, luckily, though my dad did get very very upset when my sisters and I played gypsies when we were younger (we had just watched the Hunchback of Notre Dame). I was wearing an ankle bracelet and I remember him coming home from work and telling me to take it off. He might have even gotten in an argument with my mom, I can't remember. Apparently prostitutes wear ankle bracelets or he thought gypsies were prostitutes or some such bullshit so that's why he was upset? Not sure what exactly he was thinking but I actually laughed about that memory with my TBM mom not too long ago. But that doesn't really compare to your crazy TBM aunt.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 09:17AM

That's not evidence of crazy; that's just evidence of racism.

Posted by: catwallada ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 11:57AM

Racism is crazy.

Posted by: nickerickson ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 08:28PM

+1

Date: November 03, 2011 08:39PM

Well, I guess when I think of her, I think of the word "crazy." Her racism is just one example of her "craziness."

Posted by: dominikki ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 01:13PM

I have a crazy TBM SIL who won't let her kids watch Kung Fu Panda because it teaches kids to lie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2011 01:13PM by dominikki.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 01:17PM

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 01:19PM

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 01:28PM

I've got a whole bunch of "crazy" relatives. Oh wait, most of those are just racists. And a couple bona fide crazies too(I include myself).

Posted by: nomilk ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 01:47PM

My niece does....

;;;;rimshot;;;;

Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 03:25PM

My Dad's sister was a crazy. She turned out to be a full-blown hypochondriac. She was seeing so many doctors that no one could keep track of all the pills she was taking. Which made it a lot easier for her to get pain pills, which we're fairly sure she was addicted to.

My parents live in the midwest, and I ended up in Utah with all the mormon relatives. Once when my parents were out here my Dad made me go with him to see his sister. We were there about an hour, and she spent the whole time complaining about how sick she was, how none of the doctors could help her, which surgeries she'd had and which ones she was looking forward to. Plus she was bearing her testimonkey about all the near death experiences she'd had (which my Dad thought were all bullshit).

And at the end of all that she looked at me and told me she wished I'd go back to church so I could have all the blessings in my life that she had. And I almost came unglued - my Dad had to hold me back. She'd just spent an hour telling us all about her shitty life, then turned around and tried to wish it on me! I SO wanted to tell her how grateful I was that I didn't have anything like her "blessings" in my life.

Posted by: NLUC ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 05:46PM

My aunt told my wife she didn't need to find her birth parents or get any non-identifying health information (history of cancer and heart disease, depression, etc..) because her DNA had changed to match her adopted parents DNA when she was sealed to them in the temple as a child.

Nluc

Date: November 03, 2011 08:31PM

LOL!!! I got tears coming down my face laughing about this one.

I wonder if our adopted daughter......... wait, we didn't go to the temple with her, no wonder she still looks Korean. Just saying...

Date: November 03, 2011 08:33PM

This was supposed to go to the bottom - whatever, it's here.

Oh yeah. She is notorious for overstepping her boundaries and sticking her nose where it doesn't belong. She thought she would try and get on me about "liking" an ex-mo comment on Fb and I jumped right back. She found out fast that a 39 year old does not have to listen to his aunt and that a 20+ year sailor knows a lot of colorful language and is not afraid to direct it at her. She is very nice to me now when she does say anything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2011 08:34PM by nickerickson.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 06:10PM

My aunt just embarrasses herself terribly. One time, I forwarded her an email from a genealogy group I was involved in, and she replied to me with an off-color joke about that family. Somehow she did a reply to all that went back to everyone in the genealogy group. They were a good sport about it and thought it was funny, but my aunt was terribly embarrassed. Then she blamed me and still isn't really speaking to me since then. She does ditzy things like that all the time. My dad had a dream about her once where she was wearing a big oversized bell-shaped dress, and it got caught in the wind and she was flying away, and we were all chasing after her in slow motion, calling her name and reaching out to her. lol

But she's great. She was talking to my overchurched mother once and asked her "So, what are you reading these days? I mean other than churchy stuff." Mom opened her mouth and closed it. Zing!

Posted by: Cristina ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 08:07PM

Kdog's crazy aunt needs to talk to bezoar's crazy aunt. If she did she'd know that when the hispanic girl marries the white guy in the temple she becomes bone of his bones and her DNA changes to match his.

Date: November 03, 2011 08:43PM

LOL- nice one!

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 08:22PM

Very useful when I need to "mimic" Mormon swearing... I can be creative when I need to, but best to save my muse's energies these days...

Both long gone, and I think they both deserve Darwins for not having any children... Aunt Isabelle doubtless would've; she grew up in Manti, married, but... Somebody already mentioned hypochondriac. Aunt Sadie would've been more of a "New Order Mormon," assuming she was LDS, which I'm not sure about.

Then there was a murder-suicide scandal in Salt Lake in the 20's; that was another lesbian g-g-aunt and her partner... My grandfather was in the doghouse for a time because my grandmother was sure he was the one that told the story to my mother... Turns out g-grandmother, grandma's mom, was the stool pigeon...

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 08:41PM

My crazy mormon aunt thinks everyone is mormon. She told me this whole story about how Gene Roddenberry was mormon, went to BYU, and based Star Trek on the Book of Mormon. I think she might have been thinking of Orson Scott Card.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 09:27PM

I was liking that one until I figured out the LDS references... That's when I realized it wasn't all that original... I could've lived with that, but I also realized the characters were pretty one-dimensional as well...

http://home.comcast.net/~billotto/Mormon_N_BSG.html

As for Orson Scott Card, he's a homophobic turd... I met him once, and I didn't know the homophobic part. I thought he was just an arrogant turd...

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 09:32PM

Yeah, I was liking BG at first, but it got old fast; the plot just seemed to run out of ideas.

I really had to figure it out later, because I was just so surprised that she would think Roddenberry was Mormon when he was so publicly agnostic, and Star Trek was so non-religious.

Like I said, she's my crazy aunt. Her DIL is giving her a run though -- she won't watch Dancing with the Stars because the costumes are so darn immodest and had a fit when my aunt left a baby doll undressed in the presence of her young sons.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 09:57PM

I don't have the quote in front of me, but he said that Battlestar Galactica was created by Satan so that when missionaries teach people the Gospel, they will snicker and say that this all reminds them of a campy TV show from the 1970s. It was a funny book. Of course, that was before Card became a mental gymnast.

Years ago at BYU, I had the opportunity to attend writers workshops by Alan Dean Foster and Orson Scott Card. I went to the one by Alan Dean Foster, and it was really great.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.