Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: zzapp the witch ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 02:04AM

During a conversation today, the concept of "outer darkness" was brought up. The person I was talking to is a neverMo and said, "Oh, like Dante's 7th level of Hell." Now I've read Dante's Inferno, and I'm not quite sure how she was connecting that. And in the back of my brain I know its not quite right, even after I reread the highlights of the levels.

If you had to compare Outer Darkness to a level of the Inferno, which would it be?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jo smith and his crazy gold bible ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 06:32AM

I haven't read Dante's Inferno in a few years, but I remember having similar feelings. Not necessarily specific to the tiers in Hell, just in general how things are ranked in order of severity. It reminded me the "degrees of glory" or whatever in heaven actually.

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 06:40AM

I would guess she is referring to the inner ring of the seventh circle of hell which is reserved for blasphemy. I was taught that the only way to be cast into outer darkness was to directly deny the Holy Spirit -- blasphemy.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.