Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: November 02, 2011 07:46PM

I've been meaning to see this one for while, and I'm glad I finally got around to it.

It's basically a biopic about Alfred Kinsey, the pioneer of modern sexology.

I think that there are a lot of themes in the movie that an exmo can identify with. In particular, the way in which so many people at the time were in the dark about sex, or fed misinformation. There is a priceless scene where a young woman essentially says that up until her honeymoon, she thought babies came from the navel.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amy ( )
Date: November 02, 2011 08:03PM

I was shell-shocked when I watched Kinsey. I was still one foot in, so maybe that's why I didn't get the parallels to which you are referring. It is definitely an interesting and eye-opening movie though, especially when you take into account how often his studies are referenced nowadays. Def worth watching at least once.

Posted by: Convert ( )
Date: November 02, 2011 11:10PM

Psychology person who works in Mental Health........I actually didn't like Kinsey.

I thought they oversimplified it far too much and made it all about homosexuality. Went with another Psych major(b4 I graduated) and they agreed with me.

Posted by: vasalissasdoll ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 03:05PM

Good to know, since I haven't seen it yet.

I keep having ultra-conservatives use him as an example of "pure evil", and call him a child molester since that movie came out.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 04:14PM

Kinsey definitely had some unorthodox research methods, but why do the ub-cons call him a child molester? Is it becuase of some of his research regarding children and sexuality? Because if I remember correctly, he gathered that info from convicts. (It's still disturbing information, though.)

Posted by: vasalissasdoll ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 07:01PM

Yep.

It's a spin on the gay=molested as a child argument.

Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 06:55PM

I've been watching a lot of gay cinema lately, so maybe I'm biased...

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 06:59PM

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 03:53PM

It'll definitely push your boundaries if you are uptight about sex, or homophobic.
I enjoyed it, but I pulled the uptight mormon stick out of my ass a long long time ago. :)

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 06:21PM

I have a accquaintance whose father (staunch mo) worked with kinsey when she was a child. She says that her and her sister were used in his studies. I don't know if its true or not, but she is messed up enough that i have wondered.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 12:37PM

Can you elaborate on that?

Are you seriously trying to tell us that a respected scientist made minors have sex for some kind of study?

You do know that Kinsey pretty much just interviewed his subjects, right? Have you seen the movie? He did document sexual behavior on film, but the only participants were his research assistants (consenting adult graduate students) and their spouses.

He was married, had children and was not straight-up gay. He was bisexual. Just because a researcher is gay or bi does not mean that all of his subjects were abused and THAT's what messed them up.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 02:34PM

She didn't go into much detail (can you blame her?)
She said that they were sexually stimulated by older men in a DR. office like setting. No penetration. This went on for a couple of years. She said it was treated like a Dr. visit.

Her dad was an sp at the time. She was about four as far as she can remember. That is all she told me.

She has a lot of issues around sex. Her sister has been institutionalized several times that i know of.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.