Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 09:36PM

Or canned peaches. Rolls are very mormony and so are homemade noodles in chicken soup.

What are your favorites and which ones do you hate?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: missguided ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 09:41PM

So morbidly delicious...

Oh yeah, and I hate how...creative some TBM mothers feel they need to be with vegetables and Nature's perfect food: jello.

:D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2011 09:42PM by missguided.

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 02:38AM

Though, I am the daughter of a potato farmer, so I think a love of potatoes is in my DNA.

I love homemade noodles too. And, red jello with shredded apples.

And, homemade bread AND canned peaches.

My grandma used to make honey butter. I could eat that with a spoon.

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 02:42AM

OOh! The honey butter reminded me of one mormon food I actually liked: Utah-style scones -- those fry breads.

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 02:43AM

Damn you Cheryl for starting this thread. Now I'm craving carbs!!!

Date: November 04, 2011 03:07AM

Posted by: nowI'mfound ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 09:49AM

I could seriously eat the whole pan myself. Cheesy deliciousness...

Posted by: jeebusinasidecar ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 09:46PM

I love homemade noodles, stroganoff (the kind made with ground beef, sour cream, and canned mushroom soup-and no wine. I know, I know-but I've never had it any other way). Also, a type of Jell-O salad where you mix Jell-O powder (any flavor), cottage cheese, and cool whip.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 10:00PM

I am a convert, as almost everyone knows. We lived on a farm for awhile and as a child we ate bread and milk at night for "supper" after a large afternoon "dinner" usually on Sunday. I think that is more of a Mid-West traditional evening meal, especially during the Depression. Lunch was a sack meal with sandwiches that we took out into the field.

I ate Jell-0 in my home long before I converted, but it was mostly eaten plain (also served in the hospital plain) when we had a tummy ache as well as chicken soup. We relied on Campbells for our chicken soup and for Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches. Those were often served for a mid day meal or for an evening meal.

We ate a lot of peanut and strawberry jelly on white Wonder bread for sandwiches when we were kids. That continued all through my married years. I still get a craving for one of the sandwiches from time to time! :-)

The LDS folks, however, had some different ideas on how to use Jell-0 adding many other ingredients, and many of them I liked a lot. My kids liked them also. Never did like the green Jell-0 though. We stuck with orange, and strawberry mostly.

I grew up on meat loaf, mashed potatoes and gravy and canned veggies as a common Sunday meal in our family. Pork chops were a favorite also. Cottage cheese in a 1/2 canned pear slice was common.

When we lived on the farm when I was a little girl, it was my job to help grandpa pick out the chicken for dinner. He would take me out to the chicken coop, and I'd pick a chicken that he would catch, then chop his head off on the wooden block (yes, the chicken did run around for a minute before falling over) then he would take it into the house to be blanched by grandma, the feathers removed then baked. I got to pick out the vegetables from the garden for dinner also. Usually it was carrots as I liked those best. We also had fresh milk and cream which I helped to churn, from the cows on the farm.

When I moved to Utah in the early 60's, I was a new bride and continued many of my family cooking traditions. I picked up a few recipes from my LDS neighbors though. I learned to use a lot of noodles, and later added rice and a lot of spices. I did notice that I cooked with a lot more spices than even my family that relied on salt, pepper, butter, onion and maybe some garlic powder.

I loved the canned goods our LDS family kept in the cellar. Bing Cherries, peaches, jams, were our favorites.

As a young LDS wife, I learned how to make bread which was a new skill. Nobody made home made bread when I was growing up. At least, not very often.

I also learned how to use my large supplies of food stuffs - stables like: flour, sugar, honey, powdered milk, as a base for baked goods and cookies, usually chocolate chip! I also made up my own recipes -- Nine Grain Cookies, Peanut Butter-Honey-Coconut balls, etc. as snacks for the kids.

As an LDS wife and mother, I very often cooked a Sunday meal in a crock pot while we were at meetings: pork, beef roasts, chicken, meat loaf etc. As well as the setting the oven timer to cook our meal while we were gone.

Now that I am older, I don't mind cooking Salmon Patties but I couldn't stand to eat them as a kid! I still don't care for canned corn, or hot cereals.

Cereals were used for at least two meals, and one dessert.
They would be cooked for breakfast - Cream of Wheat for instance. Then the left over round cereal left in the pan would be removed, wrapped in waxed paper, put in the fridge, then cut like a pie and served cold with jam for dinner.

Because of my background, I combined recipes from my youth with what I learned to cook as an LDS wife and mother.
I usually served five to 10 people at a time, so I was very interested in making the food go as far as possible.

Now it's such a relief to only cook for two! :-)

Posted by: vasalissasdoll ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 10:52PM

SusieQ, this just reminded me so much of eating at my grandmother's home as a little girl that it made me tear up a little! She also grew up on a farm, but down in the Mormon Colonies.

Peaches in syrup almost thick enough to stand up, bread and milk, roast chicken...holidays always meant 50's style Mexican food though.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 10:19PM

Bread and milk is used in Britain -with some sugar, sometimes- and perhaps with a little ground cinnamon for invalids.

In Lancashire (especially South Lancashire) bread and milk is known as pobs.

Oh! Hang on. I wonder if pobs went over to Utah with the first converts who came from South Lancashire?

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 02:51AM

Date: November 03, 2011 10:21PM

I remember my dad eating crumbled saltines and milk.

I can't think of any distinctly mormon food that I like.

I liked a some of the basic comfort foods, like mashed potatoes, but I really can't look at jell-o unless it's a shot.

Posted by: student ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 10:37PM

My mother would make hot jello when I was sick. I'm the spawn of pioneer mormons and grew up in the morridor.

Another favorite comes to mind. Frog Eye Salad. This is small spherical pasta mixed with whipped cream and canned fruit.

Oh oh oh I thought of another. How about the cabbage salad with the raman noodles crushed in it? It's crunchy on the first day and noodly appendage-y on day two.

Yum. What a heritage.

Is there any traditionally mormon fare that is not gross, disgusting, or generally low-brow?

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 10:50PM

I forgot about milktoast. I gather it's probably horrible with Wonder bread, but with homemade toasted bread and warm evaporated milk, I remember liking it quite a bit. The French call it a "Panade" and I've made an allium soup with milk, onions,and bread. Now Creme of Wheat or Malt o' Meal is disgusting stuff. Not even the chocolate kind was remotely edible to me. Never will forget how much I liked Postum.

This might just be the bizarre combination of Latino heritage meets Utah white heritage, but I ate a lot of meals with pinto beans, ketchup, and homemade tortillas.It was like salsa was banned from my childhood! Fried leftover mashed potatoes with eggs for breakfast I still like quite a bit. Also "Utah scones" with peanut butter and jam are still delicious to me, but so damn heavy! I still love homemade pickled beets to this day.

I don't like Jello mixed with cottage cheese or veggies- fruit is fine, but revolting whenever put on a lettuce leaf beneath and called salad. I also remember Miracle Whip mixed with cook broccoli/cauliflower which isn't too bad, i guess. Homemade Thousand Island dressing is the only kind I had until I was about 9, I think. It's only good on a Reuben now. Also many hamburger/rice combinations to list.

edit for student: FYI: The little pasta is Israeli couscous or Acini De Pepi pasta.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2011 10:52PM by Itzpapalotl.

Date: November 03, 2011 10:54PM

I had forgotten all about it until I read your post, but I remember eating ketchup on tacos. I was around 10 or so when my family discovered salsa, and you would have thought it was some exotic foreign delicacy.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 10:48AM

It's an easy, cheap meal with salad and veggies. I ALWAYS have the ingredients on hand for it on weeks my budget is tight.

A couple other things I remembered are Hot Tang (insert pervy joke here) and baked grapefruit with brown sugar and a Marischino cherry on top.

Oh yeah- Homemade fruit leather. I always liked the grape and cherry my mom made, but I hated the apple kind. Unfortunately, we had 3 or 5 apple trees and only 1 cherry tree and 1 row of seeded grapes. My mom also made "mincemeat" bars and pie, which were actually a combo of ground raisins and green tomatoes. I had NO idea what mincemeat really was until I was in my teens!

I grew up on what people consider an "organic" diet these days. My mom had a garden almost the size of an Olympic pool, not to mention all the land around the house that grew gooseberries, rapsberries, currants.... I love homemade canned peaches, cherries, and spiced apples. One of my fave desserts was warm home canned peaches with warm evaporated milk. My mother's raspberry jam is amazing. That's one of the things I am very thankful for, that I did grow up with a healthy and varied diet with fresh fruit and veggies. Nothing is as wonderful as a fresh carrot pulled out of the ground yourself.
I remember the first time I ate Spaghetti-os and chicken nuggets and was completely repulsed.
Some of the stuff I grew up on was horrible, but I ate healthier and better than most kids did and do today. I also warrant it with my obsessive interest in cooking.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2011 11:01AM by Itzpapalotl.

Posted by: rutabaga ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 02:58PM

Cream of Wheat is good with a big ol' scoop of ice cream.

Posted by: BrightAqua ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 03:16PM

that is bland and very sweet. I never have gotten used to it.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 11:00PM

1964 Mormon Menu:

White rice with milk and heaps of sugar
Stringy liver and onions
Kool-Ade
Canned, chopped salmon "loaf."
Boiled roast secured with twine
Frosted Flakes with heaps of sugar
Milk
Popcorn
Peanut butter sandwiches
Canned spinach w/ green broth
Canned soup and crackers
Toast and butter w/cinnamon or sugar
Chef-boy-ardee spaghetti o's

Missing in action:

Recognizable meat from identifiable animal
Fresh vegetables or fruit
Real juices
Nuts
Healthy dairy products like yogurt
Unprocessed seafood
Tea
Coffee
Spices other than sugar and salt
Flavor

Date: November 04, 2011 09:51AM

My mom would add salkt and a pinch of pepper and a sprinkle of chili powder to a huge pot of beans and consider them well seasoned.

She never needed to buy new seasonings as the tiny tins of Shilling lasted for 50 years. I'm sure the same rusted dented and peeling little tin boxes are in her kitchen now from when I was a kid.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2011 09:52AM by Cheryl.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 11:02PM

I didn't grow up with that, though if I had I suppose I would feel differently. We ate french toast a lot when I was a kid. In my family, that was bread dipped in milk and egg and then grilled. Funny thing. Toasting french bread does not make french toast. Anyway...

My comfort food is fresh baked bread hot out of the oven with a big dollop of butter melted on it. My mother made bread out of the hard winter wheat in our food storage, and while the quality of the wheat wasn't so good, it was still good getting it hot out of the oven. I loved the way the crust kind of caramelized at the bottom of the pan.

I think she worked hard to make good bread. She had a tall, motorized grinder with a stone that ground the wheat. Then she sifted it again and again, which was a drag. I used to have to help with that sometimes. She would leave it to rise in a sealed plastic container, and then beat it down twice. She also had a big square stone in the oven so the heat was more even. Baking bread was serious business for my mother.

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 02:32AM

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 03:18AM

I tried fry bread once, and that was enough. A nice hot scone, a real one, non "mormon" with dried cherries in it and some hot tea with a titch of milk in it on a cold day - mmmmmmmm.

Now good ol' Midwest comfort food is something else... Swedish meatballs with lingonberries, or in a pinch, cranberry sauce, not too sweet please. Sweet potatoes/yams in almost any form (just not cut up in jello), and pie, really good pie, with homemade crust, no skimping on ingredients, nothing out of a can. Ooh baby.

Baked potato with a nice crusty skin and sour cream with Lipton onion soup mix stirred in - some prepackaged foods have their uses!

But a lot of Mormon staple foods I'd really rather do without. The napa cabbage salad with vinegar/soy sauce/sugar dressing and fried ramen noodles is really good. But I got that recipe in Minnesota, which does love it's jello salads, but with fruit, never, ever veggies, except in those rare cases where you might find shredded carrot (shudder). How in hell would anyone think canned vegetables should get mixed into sweet jello? Barf-o-rama.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2011 03:19AM by serena.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 03:32AM

I was an adult convert, but Jello is one food that sometimes my non-Mormon family had it, but it only had fruit in it, and was eaten as a dessert. I also had plain Jello when I had my wisdom teeth out. I never had milk toast, but I did have Welsh Rarebit on occasion, and it's still comfort food to me.

My Catholic grandma used to make a variation of funeral potatoes, except she used cream of mushroom soup and added onion soup mix to it, and put it over sliced raw potatoes, with cheddar cheese on top. By the time the casserole was done, the potatoes were fully cooked. She got the recipe in the 50's from some magazine, and made that "scalloped" potato dish every Christmas and Easter.

To me, scones are dense, sweet pastries eaten during a traditional high tea service, or sometimes for breakfast, as my grandma often had those available with clotted cream. Utah scones are known as fry bread to me, whether with powdered sugar and honey, or as the base of a Navajo taco.

Posted by: idunno ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 04:54AM

I grew up in the midwest, and every summer our ward would have an "elephant ear" booth at the county fair. I just realized that "elephant ears" are Mormon fry bread. Funny, I never made that connection before. They're just especially ginormous specimens of it. We served them with cinnamon and sugar, and they were a big hit.

I don't know if this is a mormon thing or not, but one of my favorite comfort foods as a child was toast with butter, cinnamon, and sugar.

Posted by: BrightAqua ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 10:59AM

For a couple of years. I lived in a ward in Indiana that made and sold elephant ears a couple of times a year.

We also did a fried pork tenderloin dinner, with the town invited, once a year.

Yummy! This was back when wards actually had fundraisers.

I first had fried bread (they called it squaw bread) in Oklahoma.

I grew up in northern California; we didn't have much mormon food in the 60s. I never had funeral potatoes until I went to a funeral in the 90s in St. George.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 05:08AM

from most moms of people my age.

She was born in 1920, so she raised me like we were in The Great Depression. (I was born in 1970)

She loved bread & milk. Yuk, but once every few years or so, I'll get a hankerin and make some up. The first few bites takes me back and then I'm done.

She was a heinous cook. Everything she made was "Cream of Mushroom Soup" based.

She hated cooking and it showed.

I'm just barely learning how to cook American food. Who knew you could make gravy without Cream of Mushroom Soup?

One of her favorite things to prepare was "Bean & Bacon Sandwiches". She would take two slices of bread, put Miracle Whip on each slice, then spread Campbell's Bean with Bacon Soup straight from the can like it's something to do!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2011 05:26AM by Levi.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 03:14PM

GAG

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 08:18AM

The thought of bread and milk together makes me feel nauseous.

Posted by: nickerickson ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 09:01AM

I can't say any particular "mormon" food comes to mind, but a lot of my dad's baking does.

Both my parents could cook, my mom doing all the cooking during the week and my dad doing the weekend cooking. My dad though, he can really cook and bake.

Every Sunday, roast and potatoes in the slow cooker for after church. And evening was left overs and popcorn not from a microwave.

On the weekends and holidays the house was a bakery also. Cookies, pies, cakes, etc... My veritable breeding ground for fat asses. But damn, it was good. I smell home baked goods today and it takes me back to before all that was considered unhealthy because it was homemade.

Anything homemade was considered good.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 09:30AM

I'll post my wife's funeral potato recipe her sister tweeked. We had 6 varieties at a recent party and my wife's recipe was by far the best.

Date: November 04, 2011 09:46AM

Posted by: peregrine ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 09:31AM

Personally I was kinda bummed when they stopped making Postum.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 09:46AM

Fish with mashed potatoes. Most people wouldn't think this was weird but I grew up around a lot of Asians in my extended family and fish is served with rice. Period. The first time I saw some kind of baked fish served with a side of mashed potatoes in the BYU dorm dining hall, I started laughing. They served them in the temple cafeteria too. So every time I'd go to the temple and eat in the cafeteria, I'd always order it. But I still think it's weird.

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 11:09AM

My family did a bit of a take on the milk toast, and called it poached eggs and toast. We would poach the eggs in milk (in a double boiler), and then pour it over a couple of torn up, and heavily buttered, pieces of whole wheat toast. It is still one of my favourite breakfasts on a cold snowy day. And, we also had the required bread and milk for supper. We would also have green onions that you would just dip in salt and eat. I still like that one too.

Also, on the not so odd comfort foods list were/are, home canned pears with large curd cottage cheese. Chicken soup with homemade noodles. And my all time favourite, Roast Beef with Yorkshire Pudding.

Posted by: student ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 02:09PM

Posted by: eldorado ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 02:28PM

Maybe its more of a large family type of cooking? My mom came from a family of 12(Mennonite and Catholic) She would make us bread and milk,SOS,canned green beans with bacon and my favorite oxtail vegie soup with homemade egg noodles. Do people really make green jello with carrots?

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 02:35PM

Another thing we always had after Easter to use up all the ham and easter eggs - sliced eggs, diced ham in white sauce on toast. Comfort food.

Not feeling good today, drugged up with Imitrex, so food isn't attractive in any form. Yucky.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2011 02:36PM by serena.

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 02:49PM

The sacrament bread on fast sunday!

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 02:55PM

Also known as "shit on a shingle."

Date: November 04, 2011 03:16PM

My mom made that a lot on sunday after church.

desert was canned peaches.

The other standby was campbells tomato soup with grilled cheese.

Date: November 04, 2011 03:18PM

The mormon food i hate the most, the smell makes me queasy.

Cheerios

However i know a lot of people coveted them on fast sunday.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 03:09PM

I haven't even read all the responses.

Fry sauce.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.