Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: November 07, 2011 09:26PM

Carbonade flamande, Beef in Beer, Red Eye Stew, Beef n Ale Pie... however you name it, beef cooked in beer has always been a favourite of mine.

The aroma makes me weak in the knees... I can not imagine life without my 'beer stew' on a random cold rainy evening (like tonight). Beef stew and crusty bread washed down with a cold beer... heaven!

Do TBMs have any idea what they're missing?

Anyone else have a favourite boozey food?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: November 07, 2011 09:37PM

The recipe I have is modified for me so I can be sure that the alcohol is cooked out, but here is a more classic version:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/beef-bourguignon-i/detail.aspx

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: November 07, 2011 10:13PM

Mmmm, thanks for that link. I love that! I have actually never made that before - just eaten versions made by others. On my 'to do' list now.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: November 07, 2011 09:45PM

I had a really good tiramisu at a restaurant last week. It was so good I sat back in my seat and closed my eyes.

I've never cooked with booze before other than to boil sausage in beer. I'd like to give it a whirl though. :)

Posted by: Lurker Delurking ( )
Date: November 07, 2011 09:47PM

"Coqc au vin" FTW

It's so easy and great. Basically, what you need is 4 chicken legs (or whatever other chicken part you like).

2 onions (small if you don't like onions. Large if you like them.)

Bacon (if you can cover the onions, you're good)

Parsnips, carrots, leaks, neeps, or any other vegetable you like. (Whatever is in season, basically) As much, or as little as you like. It doesn't matter.

2 bay leaves (these actually matter)

8 juniper berries (they matter too)

2 garlic cloves

A pinch of rosemary

1 bottle of cheap French wine (Trust me on this. It sounds horrid, but get the cheapest French wine you can possibly get. If it's sour and bitter, you're on to a winner. This is a peasant dish, which you use the stuff you wouldn't drink for. Bear in mind, this is not "haute cuisine", but what people used to eat coming from the vineyards. Why waste a good wine on cooking? ;o))

Fry the onions and the bacon. Add the chicken and everything else. Pour wine on top, and if needs be to cover the chicken, water. Add spices immediately(!) Cook till chicken is done. Enjoy.

Sorry, I can't be more specific about measurements. It's a family recipe. I tried, but adapt to taste. And, oh, whatever you do, DON'T use beetroot. Any other sort of root vegetable is fine.

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 10:29AM

I do this quite a bit too. A nice touch is, after cooking the onions, I like to brown all root veggies an sear the chicken. And just before putting the wine in, dump in about 1/2 to 1 cup (depending on how much your making) of brandy and flambe. You will want to stand back. You want to keep your eyebrows after all. Once the flame has died down, then add the wine.

This dish is great out camping in a dutch oven. If you hate dutch oven cooking, it is because most of the dishes tbm's cook in them suck. Try this one.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: November 07, 2011 09:50PM

I love to cook with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Cointreau over fresh berries. White wine reduction with fish. And I love using Mirin, what a great flavor to add.

Posted by: daughters mormon ( )
Date: November 07, 2011 09:59PM

Bratwursts boiled in beer and a little onion and then grilled.
Yeah! I'm Green Bay fan, cheesehead and all!

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 11:16AM

OMG! I'm a Green Bay fan too! My TBM DH is a professionally-trained chef and does his brats this way too! :-D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2011 11:17AM by imalive.

Date: November 09, 2011 11:46PM

8-0 Go Pack go!!!!!

Date: November 09, 2011 11:51PM

This is the best thread ever! I'm writing down all of these recipes.

Posted by: nonmo ( )
Date: November 07, 2011 10:11PM

Chicken Chili with beer.

We have it every Halloween.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: November 07, 2011 10:25PM

Posted by: Johnny Canuck ( )
Date: November 07, 2011 10:53PM

English trifle doused with Cream Sherry.

And one dark beer added to chilli is delish.

Posted by: Johnny Canuck ( )
Date: November 07, 2011 10:55PM

Beer can chicken...

Posted by: Devorah ( )
Date: November 07, 2011 11:03PM

Chocolate cake soaked in rum!
Or lemon cake, either way.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: November 07, 2011 11:08PM

i have always sloshed wine into whatever i'm cooking.
red wine with beef.
white wine with fish and chicken
coffee in a lot of baked goods
tea in the punch
mormons were always asking me for my recipes

i never gave them the secret ingredient

Posted by: Inverso ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 10:04AM

I'm still working on the leftovers from Sunday - just put a chuck roast in something with a cover that can go from stove to oven. Brown the roast, add and brown a couple of onions, season with salt, pepper, rosemary, garlic, etc., dump in a good stout and maybe a little water, bring to a boil and then stick in the oven covered for 3 hours at 325. Yum. I put in some wild chanterelles too and it was fantastic.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 10:16AM

rum butter for the xmas pud, always home made (Mum's) and always with plenty of rum. Rum tended to be used a lot in (dessert) cooking in our house.
I always like *real* sherry trifle

beef'n'ale pie..... yeah, I have had it, but only as a restaurant dish....I have never had home made, and - to me - it was just beef pie - I was always underwhelmed by the difference that the beer made to the flavour.

maybe I'll have to make it myself

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 10:19AM

I was going to post Coq Au Vin -- it's one of my favorite dishes and dead easy to make. I don't do pork, so I skip the bacon. Doesn't seem to matter at all.

I'm also a big fan of Wisconsin Beer Cheese Soup. Google for recipes. Delish!

Finally, before my dad was mormon, he used to make beer-batter to fry fish in. The bubbles in the beer help your batter to rise all fluffy and crispy. It also makes an excellent batter for the companion homemade onion rings.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 10:25AM

I use dry sherry when making French Onion soup and also beef stew. A lot of Chinese recipes call for dry sherry as well.

I use white wine when making salmon en papillote and sauteed scallops. Also like to use tequila in marinades for spicy dishes.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 10:49AM

1-2 qts. rum
1 c. butter
1 tbsp. sugar
2 lg. eggs
1 c. dried fruit
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
Lemon juice
Brown sugar
Nuts

Before you start, sample the rum for quality. Good, isn't it? Now go ahead and select a large mixing bowl, measuring cup, etc.
Check the rum again. It must be of the highest quality. To be sure it is just right, pour one level cup of rum into a glass and drink it as fast as you can. Was it nice and smooth? Are you SURE? Repeat and try it again.

With an electric mixer, beat 1 cup of butter in a large, fluffy bowl. Add 1 teaspoon sugar and geat abain. Meanwhile, make sure that the rum is of the finest quality. Try another cup. Open second quart, if necessary. Add 2 arge leggs, 2 cup fried druit, and beat until high. If druit gets stuck in beaters, just fry it loose with a drewscriver.

Let's sample the rum again, checking for tonscisticity.

Next sift 3 cups of pegger or salt (it doesn't really matter). Sample the rum again. Sift 1/2 pint of lemon juice. Fold in chopped butter and strained nuts. Add 1 babblespoon of brown thugar, or whatever color you can find. Wix mel. Grease oven and turn cake pan to 350 gredees. Now pour the whole mess into the coven and ake.

Check rum again and bo to deb.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 11:19AM

ROTFLMAO I've read that before. Thanks for posting and bringing it back to my attention. :-)

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 11:14AM

is that you simply MUST use a Flemish Sour ale for the beer. Any other beer just won't do the dish justice.

Posted by: fallible ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 11:14AM

Seriously...bowl of Cheerios with a side of bourbon. I haven't actually put the bourbon on the Cheerios...now THERE is an idea!

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 11:15AM

That's the traditional game day breakfast of the Stanford University marching band. I know because an old friend of mine was a Stanford band geek.

Posted by: theGleep ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 07:21PM

...whatever we have on hand. Whiskey; bourbon; applejack

It adds a really sweet flavor to the meat.

And sometimes causes it to burn.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 07:35PM

I prefer "boozing with cook" myself......but seriously folks.....

I make a fantastic red wine reduction sauce.

Always cook brats and sausage in beer.

Also, sour kraut, saute'd onions, grated apple, a bit of brown sugar and dark beer, simmered.

Julia Childs apple tart recipe with dark rum...filling can be used for pie too.

Bananas Foster!!!

Tiramisu!

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 07:35PM

Another thing that's good is fish poached in ale, which is something I had recently. My dad also makes an excellent chocolate mousse that has not just coffee, but brandy in it, and is often made at Christmas by request from the family. I also make stuffed mushrooms with sherry in the stuffing that is a favorite appetizer.

Posted by: presbyterian ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 10:20PM

There was a huge thread over at
Babycenter about that. Just tasting a bite of stew cooked with a half cup of red wine made someone SICK, SICK, SICK!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.