Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: RAG ( )
Date: November 11, 2011 10:00AM

I recovered from an abusive marriage and lifelong self esteem issues. I recovered my voice to speak out on things I felt were important. I recovered from weak boundaries and excusing dishonesty.

What about you?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: brainfrees ( )
Date: November 11, 2011 10:23AM

Good question. Recovered self-esteem, confidence, business sense, healthy skepticism, ability to empathize, ability to befriend and love anyone without judgment, patience and lenience towards my kids, time, money (after counseling, self meds, real meds, etc), crazy appetite to learn, 1000% increase in discernment, and many others.

Intangibles: colors seem brighter, life has more potential and value, the air seems cleaner...

Negatives: depression for lost opportunities, time, and money, despair for so much learning missed by reading the same 500+ page book approx 50 times over and over again in two languages, frustration at how obvious it all seems now..

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 11, 2011 10:55AM

...including the negative things. And it turns out that I am a bit frustrated that I'm not left in as much control as I hoped as DW and two kids continue to pursue Mormonism and are stuck in the mode of only listening to church-censored and church-accepted materials. Not even considering outside resources is a thing I find scary. I gave DW the book "Mormon Enigma: Emma Hale Smith," because it is a widely accepted and authoritative biography of Emma Smith. She eventually tossed it in the bin because it was (get this) printed by Chicago University Press.

Posted by: druid ( )
Date: November 11, 2011 11:06AM

But at first read " Recovery From Mormonis" kind of implies an all inclusive recovery. I mean is doesn't say "A little Recovery....or quite a lot. So I have been a bit disappointed there...Eric might consider a small disclaimer to prevent others from expecting too much.

Posted by: Inverso ( )
Date: November 11, 2011 12:13PM

It wasn't until I got the mo-ism sufficiently out of my head that I could come out. It took a good 15 years of complete inactivity to pull it off.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: November 11, 2011 01:34PM

UNEARNED GUILT

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.